Am I The Only One

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by BigCTM, Oct 5, 2013.

1. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    that likes the body style of the G6 more than the GX7? I really like the DSLR style better. Plus the G6 has great handling, a very good EVF and is $400 cheaper right now than the GX7. It is $599 at Panasonic EPP. I know the GX7 has IBIS and the newer kit lens. Are there other advantages for the GX7? I think the sensor might be slightly better in low light but not sure.
  2. Dduval

Dduval Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2013
    Orlando, FL
    Yes, you are the only one.

Kidding...just an opinion, but here's what I would do if I were you. Due to me experiencing buyers remorse several times, I always try to get the best the first time. I would suggest getting the GX7 from a good online vendor, like b&h.

Try it for a couple weeks, if you don't like it, return it and get the G6. This was you'll have no regrets or what if' 2cents
  3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    "G" & "GX" bodies are 2 different lines tailored to different audiences. Some prefer the SLR format while other prefer the rangefinder format. :smile:
  4. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    GX7 has a newer better sensor. Only you know if you will be happy with image quality from G6 and not a newer sensor-camera like GH3 or GX7.
  5. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
    I love the look and most importantly the feel of the GX7. Im glad I picked it up. It feels perfect in my hand.
  6. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    I didn't like the feel of the EP5 or the GX7. I thought I was going to get the G6 until the EM1 was rumored.
  7. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Oahu, gathering place of many cars
    Peter Gunn
    I prefer the GX7 and Pen body styles because I shoot FF DSLR and M43 is attractive mainly because of the small form factor (replacement for my P&S and iPhone). I leave my GX1 or E-P3 and pancake in my messenger bag 24/7. However if I ever gave up FF DSLR I'd spring for a E-M1 or GH3 for use with larger glass.
  8. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    I like the handling of my G5 very much. Everything is a trade off of some sort. Price, size, weight, quality, features. For the price I paid for the G5, it was a crazy bargain. I'll be shooting with it for a long time. I do like the smaller size of some of the other cameras, though. I think the EP-5 might be the perfect camera for me, but the difference in price was too large and I have found the G5 just fits my hands so well.
  9. kampungboy

kampungboy New to Mu-43

Oct 7, 2013
    I was all set to get a GX7 but ended up buying a G6. The GX7 didn't feel comfortable in my hands, mainly due to the position of the shutter release button. I much prefer the button to be at the tip of the grip rather than on the top of the camera body. I'm sure it's a personal thing as I've not read of anyone else complaining about this! :)
  10. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I also find that if a camera has a forwards-projecting grip then the shutter button should be located directly above it. Haven't handled the GX7 for myself so I don't know how it feels in this regard.
  11. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Personally, if the G6 had the newer sensor and IBIS, I'd be all over it. Hopefully, it's replacement will.
  12. moccaman

moccaman Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Funny all the talk about IQ, its meaningless, the majority of shots from my old GF1 are keepers, and many are simply amazing when printed out on 8x10 or 10x12.
    Now the G2 was a nice step into an slr shape as it had the EVF and proper controls, and still managed to take great shots. Plus it was a super bargain here.
    When the GX1 got cleared I grabbed one, and its a keeper, with the EVF and all the primes its an awesome camera and replaced the GF1.
    Then the G5 went on clearance at silly prices and I figured update the G2, well the G5 has a nice feel, controls were not hard to move across to, but the IQ is not on par with the GX1, and the sharpness is not there, I have shot the same photo back to back with the same lens on the GX1 and G5, same settings, and the GX1 is sharper. I have tried 2 other G5 bodies, one was much worse than mine. Its not a deal breaker if you never had something to compare, but I look at prints from the G5 and compare to prints with the same lenses 2 yrs ago on the GF1 and the GF1 wins overall. Yeah low light yadda yadda the older cams not going to match, but most of my shots are in decent light or on a tripod. The G5 has great video, and as an all rounder is very capable for someone who wants a compact slr, but seeing others reports of soft pics I have to agree there seems to be some QC issues with the build of the G5.
  13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Actually, from everything I've seen IQ on the G5 is very slightly superior to that of the GX1
  14. dadadude

dadadude Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2013
    San Carlos, CA
    Well I don't have a GX1 or GX7, but I do have a G5 and a Olympus EP-2. The G5 is way more comfortable to hold for extended shooting. I don't quite get the argument about size. The G5/6 grip doesn't add any real size to the camera. With the GX7 built in EVF the size difference seems to be fairly small. I think where the big difference is for me is the construction of the body. That's a no brainer, the GX7 easily wins out.
  15. Droogie

Droogie Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 23, 2013
    Washington State
    I have the G3 and love the DSLR camera design of the G series. Am window shopping the G5 and the G6 and I think when the time comes for a replacement the G6 could easily find a home in my bag.
  16. cpclark

cpclark Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 11, 2013
    Nashville, Tennessee, USA
    Christopher Paul
    The G6 can also be bought with the newer 14-42 kit lens. This lens has IS built into it and is reported to be much better than the previous kit lens.
  17. BigCTM

BigCTM Mu-43 Regular

Feb 16, 2012
    Good catch...For some reason I thought the G6 had the older kit lens. That is definitely good news. Plus the price of the G6 is dropping already. It's down to 638 on amazon right now. Probably will be even lower around Black Friday...

18. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I always carefully research a potential camera in terms of IQ and ergonomics. I then buy the one I think is prettiest.
  19. MiguelATF

MiguelATF Mu-43 Veteran

Heh heh heh

Damn. I wonder how many others among this photographic community also subscribe to the semi-secret approach which you just confessed....

I'm afraid I might be one of them.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. orchard county

orchard county Mu-43 Regular

Apr 11, 2013
    Have to ask you guys in the states?buying a camera online and if you don't like it you may return it without any penalty?i don't think we can do that in Ireland or the UK?