Am I the only one who doesn't like the OM-D HLD-6 grip?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by LowriderS10, Oct 14, 2013.

1. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Hi everyone...

I normally love grips. When I had my Canons, they all had grips. But...I try and try, and I can't live with the HLD-6. Here's why...yes, merely holding the camera with the grip attached is significantly more comfortable.

HOWEVER...reaching the two buttons on the top plate (REC and Fn) is an exercise in superhuman contortionism.

I normally press those buttons comfortably with my index finger (and I use them a LOT...REC is set up for ISO and Fn is set up to switch between MF and AF)...but with the grip...I simply can't reach it with my index finger (I have average to large hands, so that's not the issue), and so have to resort to using my thumb, which is equally frustrating.

Am I the only one? I think I'm going to just keep the grip so I can slap a second battery in there for the times I need the extra juice...which is a shame, I was really looking forward to it becoming a well-used part of my kit.
  2. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    I never liked it either. Tried it twice and both times prefer the camera without.
  3. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
  4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Love mine. Only annoy thing is having to take it off to change the battery but it's quick to get off so it's all good. The landscape piece is always on my camera.
  5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I love it and it's much better than other grips . Two parts is a clever idea and I have yet to find a reason to hate it . I have complain about the price though .
  6. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    I still wish they sold the two parts separately, but it'll probably never happen, even for future models down the line.

DSLR owners have it good, there's a plethora of third party battery grips available for almost any model, and some of them are extremely well built for the price. It's a pity no one has done one for the E-M5.
  7. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    I tested the grip in the store but didn't feel I would need it. So far, after four months, I've been totally happy without the grip.

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    It would have been nice to have the option of buying it seperately since I almost never use the battery grip portion.

I would have loved to see them somehow incorperate a remote shutter in that battery portion. I think I would have actually made use of it if they had. It already has a battery in it, all they need is the remote control components.
  9. Kiwi Paul

Kiwi Paul Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 15, 2011
    Aberdeen Scotland
    I prefer the OM-D without the grip, I find it small and versatile and like the camera ergo's.

10. klee

klee Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2013
    Houston, TX
    i tried it at the store and didn't like the way the front dial felt. The grip part protrudes past the dial so that you feel it under your finger as you roll the dial. That bothered me a lot. But i'm still on the hunt for a cheap one so that I can use my Gariz hand strap.

sucks to hear that it's harder to use the Rec and FN buttons, I use them a lot also
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Except for the problem you identified with the two fn buttons, I'm very happy with mine. It's on the camera pretty much permanently.
  12. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Nope, there are a couple of others.
  13. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    If only you could get the E-M1 without the grip!

Shame Olympus didn't learn what made the E-M5 popular and kept it!
  14. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    I had trouble getting used to the E-M5 without grip at first, but not it feels natural. RRS has a photo showing their grip and the Oly in use for comparison. I may try the RRS grip and plate.
  15. nyckenj

nyckenj New to Mu-43

Jun 20, 2013
    New York
    Kenji Arakawa
    I go back and forth. The grip (landscape) is extremely comfortable to grip - especially when a heavier lens like the Pana 25 is on it. But I've been trying to fancy the OMD as an almost (jacket) pocketable camera and the grip just feels like too much then. When I have the Panasonic 14 2.5 on it I often take off the grip and for a few days it feels so portable. Then I miss the grip.
  16. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Interestingly enough, I've tried it in stores and liked it...but I was merely holding the cameras, not USING them. For arguments, it feels great. For using the camera, leaves a lot to be desired.

Agreed...I'd love to have the option to buy it separately...I'd actually be *ONLY* interested in the battery grip portion!! :)

Exactly...I figured that if I got the grip, I'd use the grip when I'm shooting around town and don't care about the extra bulk, and use it grip-less when I'm travelling and I'm watching the weight/ it turns out...the only time I"ll use the grip is when I'll be shooting star trails and need the extra juice.

Yeah, same other issues, other than the Fn/REC button issue, but that's a dealbreaker for me. With REC doing ISO and Fn doing AF/MF, I use both buttons VERY regularly.

Haha, I wish I had known this before I got mine...every single post/review I had ever seen before I got mine was going on and on about how it's the best thing since sliced bread...oh well, thankfully I got it so cheap here that if I go back to Canada (where it's way more expensive) I can make my money back...still, it's a disappointment.

True...I'm hoping for parallel models, though...and that the E-M5 replacement will keep the E-M5's ergonomics!
  17. Bacio

Bacio New to Mu-43

Nov 25, 2012
    My E-M5 was comfortable without a grip. I have quite big hands/palms, but I would not buy a grip.

Anyway - I have never used a grip with any previous Canon/Nikon/etc.
  18. bigal1000

bigal1000 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 10, 2010
    New Hampshire
    Pretty much from what I'm ready here,most people seem to like it as do I.
  19. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    There are others who don't like it for a variety of reasons. I ordered mine and I love it! Sure, there are a couple of drawbacks and inconveniences, but IMHO the conveniences and advantages outweight it. Aesthetically, I much prefer the grip as it makes the camera look more balanced, specially with many of the larger lenses.