Am I the only one? (E-P3 Concept)

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by carpandean, Nov 4, 2010.

1. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I'd like to see something like this (though, maybe silver and black leather):

Just having some fun.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Works for me :)
  3. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    I wish that the Ep3 will have a built in flash this time around
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Jamus

Jamus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2010
    What exactly would you use that for? Making your pictures look flat? I avoid built-in flash with a fiery passion.
  5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    That EVF section seems way too small, given the dimensions of the existing EVFs in the G1-etc and VF2. Optimistic but impossibly sleek.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Joep, I like having a built in flash - for snapshots.

If the built in EVF could be as good as their current one, that would be something.

Lots of wishes going on out there all the time.:wink:
  7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I would rather see the view finder on the left side (from the rear) like a rangefinder.

That would also keep my big nose from bumping the LCD screen ...
  8. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Well I am left eyed so I might have to fight you on this with the designers, Narnian.:tongue:
  9. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    For me, a bigger knurled central control dial. The E-P2 dial can be fiddly. But, most of all a built in flash to put a sparkle in the eyes of subjects and to light up overhead foliage in night scenes. Whilst the screen illustrated would be a versatile addition, I have to say, I think I would still rely on the viewfinder
    • Like Like x 1
  10. StephenL

StephenL Mu-43 Regular

Sep 1, 2010
    Looks good to me! I don't use flash - never - but I understand some folk want it.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    For me, the flip-out screen would be superb and the E-P3 would work best with two mods:

1) I'm with the Right-Eyed League - put the viewfinder on the left side of the camera where it belongs ;-)

2) I'm also with the Flat-Earth Society - add a flash like the E-PL1 for emergency bounce or fill-in to tame the limited dynamic range of digital.

While we're at it, poach some NEX engineers, and make it smaller than the NEX-5.

In the meantime, I'll enjoy my E-PL1 and try to stay away from the stores.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran

I agree to all of the above positive reactions!!
  13. VisualFX

VisualFX Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2010
    That is a very nice concept model! I have an E-PL1 for awhile now, and to tell you the truth, I hardly ever have used the flash. What would be nice to include, is to make the EVF tilt up, like the VF-2. They would then have the first camera with built-in tiltable EVF. Perhaps then, they could put the hotshoe on the side, so you could use an external flash at the same time as the tiltable EVF.
  14. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    What I would like to see:

- Faster AF
    - Decrease AF box size(can with E-PL1)
    - Higher res, less reflective LCD
    - Incorporated EVF
    - move LCD brightness into the super menu
    - move Exposure bracketing into super menu
    - more pronounced grip over E-PL1 or E-P1/P2 while maintaining the same thickness
    - lighter
    - move battery/sd to the side of the camera
    - make the main menu wheel a tad stiffer/more defined clicks.
    - allow for manual focus on the main screen with the rest of the information instead of hitting info a bunch of times and then lose the rest of the information.
    - decrease noise at higher ISO

I don't care about a swivel LCD or more megapixels. I also don't care about a flash.
  15. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Thanks. I just tried to imagine my G12 and my E-P2 having (not making ... ew, camera sex) a baby.

That would be very interesting.
  16. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    Agree with everything except being smaller than a nex 5. I for one hope Olympus go there own way and keep the pen series the same
    size and build quality ad what they have now. I'm happy with my epl1. anything smaller, I may aswell have bought a point and shoot or use my phone camera. inmho
  17. harlz

harlz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 19, 2010
    Syd, Australia
    BTW has anyone sent these images to olympus? if they know what we are after it may help just that little bit to get them making something we desire.
  18. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    I guess the problem for Olympus is that we all have personal priorities and each want something a little bit different. To some built in flash is irrelevent but to others it is vital to control off camera flash with the FL36R or FL50R. Some want a rangefinder style built in EVF while others would like one that hinges up. My view is that if they have to use a prism type hump like the GH series to house the EVF they might as well stick with the clip-on type as the ability to remove this makes the camera far more versatile, but many others will have a different view.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. wrinkle

wrinkle New to Mu-43

Nov 5, 2010
    Flip screen!!! Yes, that's what I'm waiting for.
  20. yoruneko

yoruneko New to Mu-43

May 13, 2010

Anybody else disappointed about the complete lack of new camera body from Olympus? I mean pana is taking all the spotlight with their awesome new releases, and Oly is just completely absent of any kind of buzz whatsoever.
    It sucks! I love my Ep1, I want the next Ep3 to blow me out of the water, and I want it yesterday! How am I going to resist the pressure of switching to pana for the MONTHS it's going to take them to announce -and ship- the Ep3??

Olympus, I am disappoint....