1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Am I The Only One Drooling Over The New Leica Q?

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by tyrphoto, Jun 11, 2015.

1. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    The specs are outstanding and seems to be getting raves from just about everyone. Even Ming Thein who is pretty critical in his camera reviews pretty much gushed about it.

2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    too shame it is a 28... I would drool if it was something like a 40mm...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    From what I've seen, the files produced by it don't seem to blow the RX1/GR out of the water. In saying that though, I'm only referring to just the files as opposed to the experience of using it/ handling, etc.

4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It is the Sony A7RII along with one of the new 35mm lenses that has me drooling.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    While I may drool over the capabilities, I really don't want to go back to carrying full frame lenses around everywhere all over again. For me this would have to be a small kit that's good for both outdoors AND low light, which always seems to make the lenses larger :(

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I hear you DaveEP, I am only thinking of 2 lenses, both manual focus primes, for this camera with my favorite FL 35 mm, being used most. I am not thinking of lenses like a 24 - 70mm, etc. I am also attracted to the potential for video with this camera.

Here it is with the lens attached: http://camerasize.com/compact/#594.383,624.429,482.458,ha,f

I wish that camersize.com had Voigtlander lenses.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    M240 for me, Santa. Must remember to post my letter closer to The Day. :)

• Like Like x 1
  8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Out of my price range, and I don't see anything in the example images that leads me to believe there is anything there that I am missing.

Never been a Leica fan, but it is what some people crave.

9. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    It is a more handsome camera than the RX1
    and it has a Thumb-Notch.

• Like Like x 1
  10. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    The Leica Q certainly appears to be drool-worthy, from an aesthetic standpoint if nothing else. However, there's still that matter of the price tag...

11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

A fixed lens camera is only going to tank in value. Pretty hard pill to swallow when it costs over $4k to start with

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I love it! It clicks all my boxes in terms of design, FOV, aperture, EVF, etc. Only thing it doesn't tick for me is price! lol

• Like Like x 1
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I tend to agree (on exactly that point). The high ISO images looked distinctly...un-full frame in their quality. Nasty banding and noise characteristics. I'd say they're lagging about a full stop behind a modern Sony/Nikon sensor like the D750.

It's still totally droolworthy and a very cool looking camera...just not one you'll necessarily want to use for stratospheric ISOs.

14. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Surely the owners of M260 EVFs will be clamouring for an upgrade ... as only the Vf-2 and not the VF-4 works on them as far as I recall.
    Maybe we can expect yet another even nicer EVF for both systems?

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The interesting thing is that the Leica Q's viewfinder is 3.7M dot equivalent. It uses the same field-sequential technology where each colour is its own pixel used in the GX7. I don't mind it, but some people complain about rainbow-tearing, and the exact same will likely affect the Leica Q.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  16. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    It's best not to get fixated on Leica, if the bug bites you it's hard to escape. Much like my friend's infatuation with Porsche, even though he has no practical use for one nor can he really afford it. Yet it's all he talks about.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Camera's only the start. Lens prices are brutal.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes, it looks truly awesome, but... When I think about the fact that I had 2 Ricoh GRs develop sensor dust issues within a week of ownership (one with dust out of the box), and after googling Fuji X100T and Coolpix A and seeing that they have reports of dust on the sensor (often within days of ownership), I would want to know what Leica has done to deal with dust.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    This one is a fixed lens 28mm

• Like Like x 1