1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Am I the only guy happy with my G2

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by MartinK, Nov 17, 2010.

1. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    I generally shoot Oly E-3 gear but wanted something small and light to take on a trip. The Panasonic micro 4/3 DMC-G2 was my target.

Great screen, the EVF let me evaluated images in bright sun, easy to adjust exposure, even flash....most of the auto features i ignore or don't need...

All I read about here is how great the G1 is etc etc...maybe I've not read enough...

Anyway images from my train trip south to Berkeley Ca was my first big usage...as a reference you can see some of the images here
    [ame=https://www.youtube.com/user/kimeldorf1#p/a]YouTube - kimeldorf1's Channel[/ame]

2. mick / Lumix

mick / Lumix Guest

Oct 3, 2010
    The reason you read such a lot about the G1 is simply that it has been on sale for a lot longer than the G2.

3. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    I had both G1 & G2. I sold both only because the form factor is not my cup of tea.
    I come from range finders and the SLR makes me uneasy.
    Both cameras are great otherwise.
    Just not for me.

4. sLorenzi

sLorenzi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 15, 2010
    Brazil
    Sidinei
    G1

I went to G1 just because I could save a couple hundred bucks and don't care for video. On the other hand, the G10 hadn't the swivel screen which I just love. BTW I don't see many people using G10, so I presume it's not selling too much.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I love the G1, and the G2 is basically a G1 plus handy added features (focus mode dial, touch screen, video, new JPEG engine, etc), so I'm sure I'd be very happy with the G2.

Steve Huff wrote a review which was enthusiastic even by his standards: The Panasonic G2 Camera Review | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

6. NetizenSmith

NetizenSmith Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    UK
    To answer the title of the topic - no.

You aren't alone. I'm delighted with mine. Went with the G2 because the touch-screen is more than just a gimmick. It's really useful. The video option was a nice to have. No other mirrorless camera has a good enough EVF for my liking.

• Like Like x 1
  7. DuClare

DuClare Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    There's nothing inherently wrong with the camera when compared to the G1. But if I had the choice, I wouldn't have paid any extra for the feature I really see zero value in: the touch screen. The kit 14-42 is also a step backwards no matter how you look at it, which is unfortunate given that the G2 also cost more than the G1 did. Or maybe it was so only at launch.

Once you've paid and forgotten, and have the camera in your hands, there's nothing to complain about. Unless you really wanted the better kit lens.

8. I tottaly agree with the statement below.

I have a dedicated HD Kodak video camera already if I need video. The kit lens on the G1 is much better then the G2. I tested them both.

Both are good cameras otherwise.

9. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I think I could be very happy with your G2. Send it to me and I will let you know. :wink:

10. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
    If you have not used the screen you won't know what you're missing. It is easy to predict that all SLRs will have this feature next.

11. DuClare

DuClare Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 28, 2010
    I have the G2. For shooting, I use the EVF almost exclusively (the superb EVF is the reason I wanted a panasonic in the first place), and I need to be able to control the exposure comfortably with the thumb. The touch screen is not suitable for this.

I use the touch screen for navigating between pictures in playback mode, but that's only because it's fun. The buttons would work just as well.

12. ajramirez

ajramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 16, 2010
    Caguas, Puerto Rico
    Even though I have only owned it for a couple of months, I really enjoy my G2. I get the feeling, though, that it has not been the runaway success for Panasonic that the GF-1 was, and there are far fewer G2 users around.

Or maybe G2 users are a quieter bunch...

Cheers,

Antonio

13. texascbx

texascbx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 30, 2009
    Texas
  14. MartinK

MartinK Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 13, 2010
    Washington State
  15. NetizenSmith

NetizenSmith Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    UK
    Well, if you look at it in terms of maximum aperture through the focal range the 14-42mm has about a half stop advantage over the 14-45mm. Plus it's lighter.

Have you not tried putting the screen into shooting mode? If you're a full-time EVF shooter it's great:

[​IMG]
    Lots more controls at your fingertips without going through menus.

Add to all that the iA button for when I want to hand the camera to my wife and a dedicated video button and I think it was a great upgrade. Obviously I'd have liked to have ALL the above AND the 14-45mm included but half a stop faster through the range but something had to give I guess.