Am I peculiar?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by BigTam, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    I prefer wrist straps, since I don't like the camera bouncing on my (too large) stomach.

But: I'm right-handed, so I should have the strap on the right, right?

However, I've found I much prefer having the strap on the left, round my left wrist, leaving my right hand free for important things, like paying for my wife's purchases.

Anyone else do the same?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    No but would the situation change if your wife had the credit card?
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I use all kinds of different methods, and my cameras are all set up for various hanging/holding methods to suit my varied needs.

A couple of my cameras have hand straps. A couple of them have neck straps. The ones with handstraps also have detachable neck straps. Sometimes my cameras are outfitted with flash grips or flash brackets. Sometimes I have one camera hanging from my neck and another in my hand. Sometimes I hold a camera in my left hand with the flash bracket. Sometimes I have two cameras hanging from my neck. I have no set rules.
  4. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    With E-M5, I started out with using the wrist strap on the right - as I've done in the past with hand-straps on DSLRs (not that you could really use a hand-strap on the left). After couple of weeks, though, I switched the wrist strap to my left so that I could use the touchscreen-shutter function much easier with my right hand (I'm righty).
  5. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Initially I had a wrist strap on the left side of my E-PL1. I didn't mind carrying it that way. The only thing it really prohibited was using that camera one-handed in a point and shoot fashion.
  6. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't have a strap so I feel left out ... but I'd do it wristy opposite hand style.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Haj, you're right, that's another good reason for having the strap on the left: Right-hand touch-and-shoot.
  8. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    I often use a sling and have the camera hang at my hip. You can have the camera hang on your left side so that you are able to swipe those cards. :rolleyes:
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    I use a wrist strap, I don't like neck straps for several reasons (including the bouncing off of the belly thing). I'm right handed and I have it on my right wrist - never thought to try using the other side. I'll have to think about it a while. :cool:
  10. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    i use a wrist strap but on my dominant right hand. and while i also have a big belly, the real reason is because i often wear buttoned down shirts and hate the clickety sound the camera makes when it hits against the buttons. maybe i'm the one who's peculiar. :wink:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MikeR_GF1

MikeR_GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Never thought of using the strap on the left side. Thanks for the idea - I might give it a try.
  12. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Unless there's something you're not telling us, I don't see anything peculiar in what your doing. The ergonomics of shooting are very individuals. I use both neck and wrist straps, largely depending on what camera I'm shooting.
  13. jon595

jon595 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    I actually use the Peak Design's Cuff wrist strap somewhat in this way. I dont' like the placement of the strap lug on the side of the camera where the shutter release is, so I took the split ring off.

To attach any strap, I leave a pair of the Peak Design connectors on the left side camera strap lug and connect whatever I need to there. So for the Cuff wrist strap, it is strapped around my wrist and attached to the opposite side of the camera that I'm holding. I find it a bit more comfortable than the other way.
  14. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    rob collins
    Holding the OMD single handed in the left hand is fairly problematic as the distance between the lens and the camera edge is so short. Also I have the HLD6 grip which is built for the right hand.

What is really 'irritating' about the set up of the OMD is that the lens release button is on to the left of the lens (to be pressed by your fingers on your left hand). So if you hold your camera in your right, press the lens release with your left, you find that you have no hands left over to turn the lens and release it.

Now if the lens release was on the right, you could hold the camera with your right hand and at the same time use a finger to press the lens release button and your left hand would be free to twist off the lens and remove it. As far as I know the 'only' camera manufacturer that gets this right is NEX.

Now the 'Op' would say that as he has his camera strap on the left, he holds his camera in his left hand and can also use his left hand to press the lens release, so that his right hand is free to take off the lens.
  15. daum

daum Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    I have the wrist strap on mine and should get this in the mail tomorrow. hoping it will eliminate the dangling my camera when i need to use my hands while touring.
  16. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i wrist it all the way
    but always the right
    i just let it dangle from 2 fingertips, till i need a shot, then its ready to go right away
    1 handed improper handling FTW! :D
  17. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    You're getting a woman to carry your camera by mail? ;-)
  18. Bizzarrini

Bizzarrini Mu-43 Regular

Apr 26, 2011
    The Netherlands
    Ok, I'm glad I read the rest of this thread too, because without context this could get a bit weird lol
  19. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I use a long neck strap, bandoleer style.THe camera is off to my side or behind,on the left of my back.When I want to shoot,I just bring it forward.It doesn't bounce or get in my way.With a wrist strap you lose a hand or must put it in your bag,right?
  20. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    Same here. I worried about it being back there at first, but it bangs around very little and is easy to swing up. I am pretty lean, but still hate the camera banging around my belly.

Extend your strap enough so you can get it across your chest and slightly behind you. It should be long enough so you can easily pull your arm back through if needed. It is really comfortable and convenient. Try it!