1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Am I misssing something?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Bidkev, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Is their a specific reason why some members post many consecutive posts only a minute or two apart showing only one image in each post, particularly when it is of the same species taken with the same gear? Why not stick all the images in one post?

Is it something to do with a forum rule that I've missed as it just doen't make sense to me?

2. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    For me at least I often post individual photos since it gives the option liking etc individual photos, especially if they are of mixed quality. It the photos are part of a series of different shots of the same subject I group them.

Second reason if posting with bad internet I just do one at a time so help avoid crashes.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Mountain

Mountain Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    That drives me nuts, too. Share birds thread has the worst offenders. I basically stopped looking at that thread for that very reason. I guess it's to get the number of posts and likes up for the member's profile.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    That's why I do it. I'm only here to get my posts up. That's actually why I'm replying to your message. Oh, and I also wanted to drive people nuts who are easily driven nuts. I'm so glad it's working.

• Funny x 19
    • Like x 2
    • Winner x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Useful x 1
  5. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    You're not on my list of offenders Dan, so I wouldnt worry too much. I like when people post lots of pictures, i just prefer that they're grouped so that each page that loads isn't from a single user (esp when the photos are taken with a different system, nothing against using other systems either, but 10 consecutive posts of the same subject with say, a Nikon, just buries everything else). I'm just as guilty as anyone for posting lots of pics, I just try to put them in a single post if they were from the same outing.
    Ooh look, one more post for me, too.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    In all seriousness, I often post as I process an image. I guess I'm too ADHD to wait until I have processed them all. It honestly never occurred to me that it would irritate anyone.

7. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Its the internet, everything you do will irritate someone. Thats why we can ignore stuff if it bothers us, so post however you please.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    I did this today in the birds thread because I was specifically interested in the reactions to individual hummingbird images. I had done a multi-image post a couple of days earlier that left me with questions about the reactions to individual images, and I was hoping for a little more clarity today. I am still developing my approach to staging shots and selecting wildlife images, that’s all.

In general, in open threads where everyone contributes, I know a long list of individual image posts can grate. . . but so can posts with many images. My reaction to a post degrades with increasing image count over 2 or 3, but maybe it’s just me.

9. Mountain

Aug 2, 2013
    Colorado
    Those hummingbird shots were top notch, btw, just had a look.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I think it combines with another quirk of forums - that practically nobody goes back to previous pages and browses by most recent unread and just hits the last page. I think people generally accept the risk of posting in the bottom 3/4 of a page, but the hazard is now that you might top post and then watch your work scroll off in a couple of hours/handful of views due to 3 people split posting a bunch of images from the same set.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. It doesn't irritate me I just wondered why, and I hark back to my first day on the forum, I saw 8 consecutive posts all of the same bird, from the same poster, all in the space of less than 10 minutes. Now with that time gap, they must surely have all been processed ready to post so why not in the same post? Just had me baffled is all?

As for the ADHD bit, I veer that way and also autism in the family, but it's one job at a time for me. I don't post till everything is processed so if I've had a good day in the filed, with hundreds of images, you may not see a post from me for a week

12. That's probably why I don't understand some posting styles. Whenever i return to the forum I always go to the most recent and then work backwards till I get to the post I last saw at my previous visit. I do this so that I never miss anything in a thread that I am watching as I'm naturally curious/interested as to what is being posted. One can build up a "mind's eye" profile of the members only from what they post.............miss one or two and that profile can be skewed.

13. Will Focus

Will Focus Mu-43 All-Pro

I don't mind seeing multiple single posts as long as they are different enough to form an opinion as to which may be better/worse than the other. The head scratcher for me is seeing what appears to be the same image of the same subject over and over with little, if any discernible difference. I often find myself staring at my computer at what appears to be copies of the same image, struggling to find what may have been edited in or out. A slight difference in eyeball angle perhaps? Who knows? The problem is compounded when, during the day and I am out and about, I peruse the site on my phone. It is impossible at that point to fairly make a determination as to which may be more palatable. For those that do post multiple posts of basically the same image with slight adjustments, I would suggest and encourage them to clearly document those changes so that folks with compromised (ie: phone) monitors or people less adept at spotting subtle changes may play along. I think the 'like' and critique factor would go up with more info. Sometimes it seems like the "Find the 5 things different about this picture" challenge in Highlight Magazine or the back of a Coco Puffs cereal box.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    What profile are you talking about? I don't understand
    I also don't understand the "rating" that some have mentioned. Is that something important and I should be mindful too?
    I thought this place was about photography...

15. panamike

panamike Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Lincolnshire UK
    I have a system for posting (most of the time)
    All birds of the same species go in the same post, with the exception of BIF and static shots of the same species, this is inline with my home filing system, Ducks in flight are filed in a separate folder to Ducks just sitting there.
    On odd occasions i will be checking my remaining raw files before dumping later in the day and find one i feel could be saved, in this case it would be posted separately.

16. I am missing something here altogether. Almost like the meaning of life question

• Like Like x 1
  17. Consecutive posts wouldn't really be an issue if it was strictly limited to just the best shots... for sequences, just the single best of the sequence, or something like a triptych showing the progression of action.

It's a lot of work and discipline to cull that ruthlessly, but for a portfolio, print or a competition that's what you'd do. This is a forum, nowhere near as serious :p 

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Cagey75

Cagey75 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2017
    First world problems, jeez ... It might be annoying, but is there a need for a whole thread about it? I find threads like this much more of a nuisance.

• Like Like x 1
  19. No idea about what is meant by"rating" but by "profile" I mean that I personally build an idea of whose posts to watch for in particular, based on their images, the subjects that I'm interested in, and what gear/technique they are using to achieve those images. If I only went to the last page on a thread, I might miss something of interest so as I say, if I'm watching a thread, I watch every post in that thread.

20. Mattyh

Mattyh Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 14, 2013
    UK
    I

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.