Am I mad? Switching from E-M5 II to E-M1?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by manju69, Aug 3, 2016.

1. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I love my E-M5 II but it has two down sides. The grip and the screen. I bought the Official Olympus HLD grip which improves handling but adds weight and is ugly. And I'm not a huge fan of swivel screens.

And I am realising "handling" is a key feature for me. It either makes me want to pick it up and use it or not or somewhere between-which is where I am with the M5 II

So I was wondering about switching to an E-M1? It's a sideways move I know. I mainly use the 12-40 and the 75mm lenses. For me the main losses and gains are:

Losing the hi-res mode (occasional use but amazing when it works)
    Losing maybe a better ibis from a newer camera?

Gaining the focus stacking and dual auto focus.
    Gaining a flip screen - which I much prefer.

I know the E-M1 mark II will most Mosley be released in October but it's likely to be a hefty price new - does anyone remember the cost of a new E-M1 on release?

Anything else to consider?

Thanks folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

2. NoSeconds

NoSeconds Mu-43 All-Pro

Are you mad...? Yep!

Here's why...

Keep the EM5mII as a second body, even if you bolt it to a tripod and only use it infrequently for hi-res mode stuff.

Buy an EM1 to use as a primary shooter.

Buy an EM1mII when it becomes affordable and have three awesome cameras...

Moral of the story: NEVER SELL A CAMERA OR A TANK - You will always regret it...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The only reason you get the E-M5 II is for the hi res mode. If you don't really use it, the E-M1 is the better camera.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The E-M1 is probably the best handling camera I've ever used. There's very little I don't like about it. The IBIS is excellent even if it slightly lags the E-M5ii. IQ wise they're a wash. I'd say swapping is an excellent decision if handling and swivel screen are important to you.

On the issue of the swivel screen, its presence on the E-M5ii is a fatal design feature that would prevent me from ever buying one. I know this is a very personal decision and it divides us, but I really fear that the E-M1ii will go that way too.

From recent rumours I doubt anyone will see the new 1 in their hands until March next year at the earliest so don't hang around waiting on it. Life's too short! In any case it'll be north of £1000 based simply on the price of the Pen F which is still at around £999. I'd guess £1200 at launch and maybe as high as £1400.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Have you held an E-M1? I was convinced the E-M1 would be really bulky compared to my old E-M5 but when I held one the grip and handling were vastly superior, by far the most impressive aspect other than the EVF (which the E-M5 Mk2 also has mind you).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Danny_SWE

Danny_SWE Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 30, 2013
    Sweden (Gothenburg)
    I understand your point. I also prefer flip screens, and the grip is not so great, I bought an iShoot grip for my MkI. Or you can wait a little more until EM-1 MkII is out and some rebate comes :)

14010241235_c36c11ec25_z.
    E-M5 iShoot grip 04
    by Daniel Cederberg, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  7. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    I have and was surprised by how good it felt and not too big. In paper it looks big. The e-m5 II plus grip is heavier and bigger! Thanks

8. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Haha. If only I had the funds!

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I sold my Em1 and kept my EM5 ii but that was because i preferred a smaller camera. I did think the EM1 had better handling because of the grip and if that's a priority then the EM1 is the way to go.

• Like Like x 1
  10. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I couple of other possible factors —
    — the E-M5 ii doesn't appear to suffer from the intermittent dial issue which some E-M1 copies develop.
    — The E-M5 ii lets you reverse the LCD panel, thus disabling it altogether. Then, if EVF auto-switch is active, it means that the only time battery power is being used on a display is when you actually have your eye to the viewfinder, which I find is good for battery life. I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think that you can achieve the same thing on the E-M1. Perhaps an E-M1 user can confirm or otherwise?

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    In my opinion, modern Micro 4/3 cameras are essentially identical in terms of image quality. That means that choosing between makes and models becomes exclusively a matter of personal preference. If you like the E-M1's handling better, then go for it — you will not regret it because the differences between the E-M1 and the E-M5 MkII in real world shooting are infinitesimal.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  12. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    Thanks. That's helpful. It's definitely about handling rather than emptying else. Especially as the 12-40 is my most used lens.

13. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  14. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I did notice that the E-M5 Mk II handles noise better than the E-M1. But if you don't shoot above ISO3200 or do any long exposure shots then you won't see any difference.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, the E-M1 was $1399USD at launch.

I got mine in Feb 2014; it was still $1399 but there was $200 off at NewEgg if bought with a 14-42mm ($299!), plus a free Dolica tripod, sling bag, 2 32GB Toshiba SD cards, and cleaning pen.
    So I paid $1499+ tax.

I didn't use the lens for long as I soon got the 12-40mm, and I never used the bag, but I do still use the cards and the tripod.

16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Yes, the E-M1 is known for having the worst long exposure noise in the mu-43 system.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That is because it uses a Panasonic sensor while all the others use the Sony one, which has better on chip noise control. However, the advantages of the E-M1 still outweigh the E-M5 II with a larger buffer, PD-AF (used with C-AF & 4/3's lenses) & also Focus Stacking 'in camera', which also works with the Pro 12-40 lens. If by any chance the E-M1 needs a little bit of extension at the base for the little finger to grip then the base plate only of the (after market) 'L' bracket works well for that, leaving complete access to the battery compartment.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

I've also noticed a difference in C-AF performance with mu43 lenses between the E-M1 and E-M5ii, with the E-M1 seeming to have a better keeper rate. I might be imagining my E-M5ii just doesn't seem as good in this respect.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Zuri

Zuri Mu-43 Regular

Apr 20, 2016
    According to DxOMark and also by checking ISO noise on dpreview, E-M5 II has much lower noise. I would highly consider this fact if you value better ISO noise manangement.

Look here:
    Image comparison: Digital Photography Review
    This is ISO 6400. Just look how E-M5 II is better. It's pretty amazing.

In DxOmark E-M5 II has ISO noise score of 896 (high is better)
    E-M1 has 757.

Just my 2 cents...

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It wouldn't be your imagination though because in C-AF PD-AF is also employed with your M4/3's lenses & that will make a difference.