am i crazy or my P20mm is faster...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Chrisnmn, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    ...after the 1.2 FW update?. have anyone else tried this?. seems that the AF is faster than before?. or is not possible?

2. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Could be possible, look at how much Fuji improved the X100 AF with firmware updates....

• Like Like x 1
  3. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I'd swear my PL25 is faster too. The beep is louder and the AF just feels slightly more responsive. Maybe a side effect of whatever they did to improve tracking AF???

M

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    yeah looks like it, that makes sense. at first i thought it was just me. but after clicking and clicking specially trying the "lockup" fix sleeping the camera and waking it up, the AF was a lot faster at least in low light (like my room at night). good stuff! :2thumbs:

5. mcumeda

mcumeda Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    My 20mm seems much faster as well. It wasn't getting used much because the focus was so slow on the em5, but now it seems reasonably quick.

6. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    What's definitely faster is the rate of update for the vertical/horizontal orientation meters! I use them all the time, so this is a major bonus for me.

(I don't have the 20mm, so I can't test that...)

EDITED: And orange arrows appear on the meters when you're beyond the upper limits, i.e. after all the squares in one direction are white. Er, at least I think they're new .. aren't they? ...

7. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I hadn't grabbed the 1.2 update so I did an entirely unscientific test... Focused on a nearby subject in poor lighting and then a farther subject. Repeated three times. It was pretty freaking slow, as usual.

Grabbed the 1.2 update, focused on the same things in the same order, three times. It was still kind of slow, but in these lighting conditions no lens is real fast, and it was definitely faster than it had been in the first test. Not a massive difference, but a noticeable one for sure.

8. mclarenf3

mclarenf3 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 23, 2010
    Canada
    Alright, I'll bite. Time for me to upgrade my E-M5.

Edit: Yep, that's a decent speed increase.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Darn, this camera just keeps getting better and better - definitely gives me GAS!:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1