1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Am I crazy for letting my GH2 collect dust while I always shoot with my E-P2

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by dylandingo, Apr 24, 2012.

1. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    Back story(skip it if you don't care)
    So I originally came into the m4/3 world because I was a DSLR user and I wanted something small for my everyday carry and street use(my DSLR sat at home A LOT because of the weight) and the Olympus e-pl1 seemed perfect at the time(minus the kit lens and autofocus speed.) Well that camera lasted a about 2 months before it broke and best buy gave me my money back. I decided to find a nice used e-p2 with the panasonic 20mm everyone was raving about and shortly after I bought the vf-2 I decided I didn't want my DSLR anymore. Well I ended up using the money from that on the GH2 so I'd have a more powerful body and then the olympus 45mm.

The meat of my post
    Since I have gotten the GH2 I have loved the external controls on it, it being 16 mp, and the more DSLR feel, but the images I get out of don't seem to compare to my E-P2 straight out of the camera(both jpeg and raw.) So my fancy new GH2 has pretty much been collecting dust since I've gotten it. So I am not sure if I am just doing something wrong or if there is a reason I don't see too many people post about using the GH2 for photos instead of video. Anyone else shooting with it with the same problems or love it and have any advice?

So far I am considering selling it for a used E-P3 or selling both my E-P2 and GH2 for a new E-P3

2. vinay

vinay Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2012
    Toronto
    I have a GF2 and E-P3 and I shoot RAW. I can't say one sensor is better than the other, but I can say that the Oly requires much less fiddling in post - primarily because exposure and AWB are more accurate and consistent than the Pany.

• Like Like x 1
  3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The newer Panasonics are supposed to have better jpegs. If you like external controls, might consider selling your GH2 now and pick up the GH3 or G5 later.

People pay hundreds of dollars extra for Leica versions of Panasonics because the Leicas seems to have better processing. There might be some truth to that.

4. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Ad
    I have a GH2 and I never even once shot JPEG with it, so can't comment on that. As for raw, "straight from the camera" becomes pretty meaningless, it's what you do with it in post-processing. If you accept the default settings of your raw-converter, you may be disappointed or not, depending on the program and your taste. You didn't say how extensively you tried to get things right in your raw converter, it really pays off to put effort into that. Lightroom 4 is now my preferred program, before that I used Adobe Camera Raw from Photoshop.

5. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I think Panasonic JPEGs at default are very flat. If you don't like post processing, you can still turn up contrast and saturation a bit in camera and see if you like it more. I love post processing, but find that the Oly JPEGs just don't need anything....they look great sooc. That just IMHO.....ymmv.

• Like Like x 1
  6. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    I had a GF2 and I found that I had to shoot in RAW and post-process every picture. Significantly. Which was the main reason why I sold it. Usability was great though...

I think it's a combination of the camera's image processor, AWB, and metering.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    That's been my experience as well. Even with raw, Oly files pop up after importing to Aperture just about perfect and ready for whatever PP I may want to do with them, or are fine with none. The Pany bodies I had in the past (GF1 and GH2 for quite awhile each - G3 very briefly) all required a bit of a fight just to get to a good starting point. Usually I could get there with some effort - sometimes not. Low and/or artificial light was much more problematic than good light.

So, no you're not crazy - gotta use what works for you best.

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    If you don't like the GH2, sell it. Get what works for you or wait a while and see what else shows up. Once you've decided that you don't like the jpegs or raw from a certain camera, just move on.

9. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I know I am in the minority but I don't find the Olympus OOC colors all that much better than the Panasonics. I shoot JPEG with my G2 all the time and while its default colors tend to be a bit cooler than the Olympus it really doesn't take a lot to change that. I set the colors to DYNAMIC and changes the default NR but that was about it.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6897223578/" title="Finally by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6897223578_97a40757ec_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Finally"></a>
    Panasonic G2 with O45/1.8

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/dixeyk/6946284642/" title="Sprung by dixeyk, on Flickr"> 6946284642_5e68bda5fd_b. "1024" height="683" alt="Sprung"></a>
    Olymous E-P3 with P20/1.7

I think they both look good. They are both OOC JPEGs and I honestly do not see that much difference. I know everyone may disagree with me but I have never found my Olympus cameras to be better when it comes to color or OOC JPEGs than my Panasonic ones. I think they are both capable of great results. So I guess the short answer is if it were me I'd be shooting with the GH2...but then again I very much prefer the mini DSLR body style. Also, as much as I like my E-P3 (and I have come to really appreciate it) I'd trade it for a GH2 in a second.

• Like Like x 2
  10. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    One word (well, one acronym anyway): IBIS.

Sell the Panasonic. :smile:

Go with what you use and makes you happy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Yay oly bodies!

- Eliot

• Like Like x 1
  12. brunerww

brunerww  

Mar 5, 2011
    +1 on this. I'm a JPEG shooter who changed my film mode to Dynamic and readjusted the auto white balance away from that horrible "Panasonic Green" and more towards Magenta. Since I did that, the camera has produced great OOC colors (which is good, because I'm too lazy for RAW :))

I am now completely satisfied with the GH2 as a still and video camera. Sold the DSLR and haven't looked back.

I like the size and style of Olympus cameras, but I wouldn't want to give up ETC mode (it's like a free set of lenses), the higher MP count (for big prints), or the front facing LCD (for self-portraits).

Good luck with your decision,

Bill

• Like Like x 1
  13. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I have shot tens of thousands of images (both Panasonic and Olympus) and while there are some that benefitted from IBIS it's not the be all and end all. There is a lot more to a camera body than that. That said, I agree if you don't like the Panasonic then sell it. No use keeping around a GH2 to be an expensive paperweight. I will say that if I had to keep just one camera I'd sell the E-P1 and E-P3 before I'd sell the G2 (and I like the Olympus cameras).

• Like Like x 1
  14. steve16823

steve16823 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Brookfield, IL
    Are you crazy? Yes! The GH-2 is a phenomenal camera with excellent image IQ, lots of external switches for direct control, an articulated screen, built-in EVF. The JPEG engine is not as bad as some people say.

So, yeah, you're CRAZY. But, I guess i'm crazy too! I had an E-PL2 (which replaced an E-P1) and then sold some of my DSLR equipment and purchased the GH2 when it first dropped to $999 with the 14-140.

And I LOVED it. It was a gem to hold and I admired it's design and speed of operation compared to the E-PL2. But, strangely enough, I NEVER used it. 99% of the time I would reach for the E-PL2, usually with the 20mm or 45mm.

So, a few months after buying it, I sold it with only around 200 clicks on the shutter. I picked up a lightly used E-P3, VF-2, and sold the E-PL2. I have absolutely no regrets.

I still thing the GH2 is an amazing bit of gear. It just wasn't the camera for me. The really really crazy thing to do would be to let it gather dust, which is just like throwing money away. Sell it NOW while it's still worth a good bit of cash. If you regret it in 6 months, they'll be even cheaper then and you can buy it back.

15. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    I do really love the external controls, in a few ways it was nicer than my old DSLR, but the images from my E-P2 just seem to have a better look in my eyes. I use to be obsessed with Canon before but once I saw the colors from my Olympus I was very impress, not sure if there is a real difference or if it's just me. I do shoot in RAW like 90% of the time and I process them with Aperture but my RAW files from my Oly just look so good sometimes I barely have to tinker with them while I feel like I have to spend more time on my images from the GH2. But even if the GH2 has more external controls my E-P2 too just feels more pleasurable to shoot with, maybe it just feels more leisurely compared to when I used a DSLR. I have had some ideas about shooting more video, but right now my photography addiction is bleeding me dry enough that I shouldn't even think about taking myself down that path until I have more of the photography set up I want.

16. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Cloverdale,CA
    I think the GH2 is one of the very best out there and I own a E-PL2 but have considered crossing over to the Panasonic side. BUT I shoot entirely RAW and landscape so it really would be a better choice for me anyway... I think... in the end... perhaps.

17. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I just got a GH2 to go with my EP3.

Awesome combo and both compliment each other very well.

Two different animals and equally adept at what makes them unique.

I enjoy post processing both files.

But in the end, the key is the gathering dust part. If I don't use it, it's on the chopping block.
    I'm going to channel my limited funds to something else that does it for me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Panasonic jpegs are fine, but I found the most difficulty with them in high contrast areas, especially in So Cal where you get really bright sunny days and lots of shaded areas. I think Olympus handles those conditions much better, with more accurate metering regardless if shot raw or jpeg.

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    It really has nothing to do with logic, so no amount of reasoning about the lack of differences in RAW, or convenience of a GH2's controls will change a person's preference for the way the camera's image processing engine 'flavors' the files. It's really a lot like the colors or flavors we like. Sometimes, it's just a slight difference, but that's just the way it is.

20. I had similar situation when I had an E-P1 and then bought a GH1. I really dislike the GH1 jpegs, not so much for the colour but for the horribly abrupt tone curve that clips highlights something fierce and makes you want to underexpose. It gives totally the wrong impression of the camera's dynamic range. Shooting in RAW the camera has more headroom in the highlights than the shadows, which is contrary to what the jpeg engine does. I'm not sure how the GH2 compares to the GH1 for colour, but I love the GH1 colours in RAW. They're as good as anything I've seen from the E-P1, E-P2, and E-PL1 and it's rare that I've had to correct the white balance to get what I want.

We each have different tastes though, so what matters is what your eyes are seeing.

• Like Like x 2