1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Am I Abnormal?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by hunyuan7, Oct 11, 2011.

1. hunyuan7

hunyuan7 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 31, 2011
    I have spent about 1000 times more time on researching a camera system than I did on a car that costs 10 times more. Am I abnormal?

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :biggrin:

I hope you get through the "paralysis of analysis" phase and are back out taking pictures soon!

3. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
  4. Aniseedvan

Aniseedvan Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Northants,uk
    Well if you are, then so am I... I'm used to the husband giving me funny looks over camera gear prices, and no one at work gets it, but it keeps me happy :)

5. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I also put more time reading about prime lenses and researching than I did for my house.. which was wayyyy more expensive!

But.. thankfully.. homes have a longer useful life.

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    photography is your hobby and I'm assuming that your car isn't.

7. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Great point!

8. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Lol.

I was actually thinking about this the other day. A mate of mine just sold his ute (pickup truck) for 20k and upgraded to a better one for 34k. Essentially the same just a little more glossy...regardless, in about 3 months it's going to be just as filthy as his previous ute. No gain really in terms of usefulness or productivity, he got it because he had some spare cash !!!

It got me thinking....if I had 14k to blow what would I get....I was kinda taken aback when without prompt or consideration.....my minds voice pronounced clearly "Leica M9 and the 50mm f1.0 noctilux!!!!

Sick b@sterd !!!

So I went out and first thing I did was get myself a lottery ticket, which ended up a winner....woohoo....only about $14980 left to go.

9. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    i let the SO pick out the new car, i just wanted a panoramic moonroof, adaptive cruise control, and a/c booty seats! :D

10. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    You guys don't know how to calculate cost. My car weighs around 1200 kg and cost around $25000 Australian. That amounts to around $20 a kg. My 12 mm lens weighs 130g and cost a bit under $1000 Australian. That's around $7500 a kg. Which do you think is the most expensive?

Is it any wonder we take our time considering these expenditures?

:)

11. krugorg

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    :rofl:

Wait, did you include the weight of the Nokton m/43? :biggrin: