Aluminum or Carbon tripod for Landscape ?

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
... I really hate that article. Hogan basically says you need to spend $1,000 to get something adequate, so might as well spend it now instead of incrementally in an endless cycle of upgrading. ...
Yeah, that's it reading literally but it is also referring to FF equipment. I take it more as a morality lecture: "Don't buy junk tools." with some examples of what junk looks like. That's a good lesson for life in general and I'd be embarrassed to count up the number of times that I have cheaped out and re-learned it. Maybe I should have explained the reference more clearly.

Re personal choice, my travel tripod is a Benro (carbon) C2192 with 29mm leg diameter. It's a real solid citizen though not quite up to the standard of my Gitzo Studex (bought used under $100 + the cost of some paint) or my TiltAll (also used <$100).

With the size and weight of m4/3 gear, I don't know why you'd need to spend much on a tripod or get a large one. Seems counter intuitive.
Well, I'll offer a couple of arguments. First, and generally, I don't believe that there is any such thing as a camera that is too stable. Second, light weight is actually a negative as far as stability goes. Wind, shutter shock, ... whatever mechanical force you care to choose will have a larger effect on a lighter object. Newton's second law, F=MA, says that for a given mechanical force F, cutting the mass M in half doubles the acceleration A that the mass experiences.

If you want to see how sensitive our little cameras can be, mount a cheap 500mm mirror lens with an adapter and take it outdoors on even a very good tripod. With even a light breeze I think you will be amazed. Put it on one of these little travel tripods that the Chinese sell and you will be appalled.

IMO the "weight" ratings they publish for these tripods are completely useless. First, there is no standard testing protocol so it is just the marketing department playing liar's poker. Second, the purpose of the tripod is not to hold up a lump of metal. It is to be stable. That is an entirely different thing. I can easily design a lump support system for you that will bounce like a trampoline.

MAubrey

Photographer
Real Name
Mike Aubrey
I have two tripods. Both of which I would recommend to others.

Amazon.com: Sirui T-025X 52" Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head & Case (Black): SIRUI: Camera & Photo

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DCF-432-Traveller-Tripod-Section/dp/B014BZU28Y/

The first is my travel tripod. It folds down to 12" and weighs basically nothing. The aluminum version is only slightly heavier and makes for a great budget alternative. The Sirui's main problem is height. I'm pretty short, so I'm not bothered by it, but it's worth begin aware of. The head that it comes with can take the weight of my heaviest adapted lens (Nikon AI-S 200mm f/2, 2700g) on my E-M5.

The Desmond DCF-432 isn't a name brand, but it's solidly made, light, carbon fiber, and nice thick legs for great stability. I use it for everything from μ43 through 5x7 large format, all with great success. I use it with their Desmond DLOW-55 55mm, which is an clone of the Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead ($415). The drag adjustment is a little overly fine compared to the RRS, but it's still a really solid head.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
I have two tripods. Both of which I would recommend to others.

Amazon.com: Sirui T-025X 52" Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head & Case (Black): SIRUI: Camera & Photo

http://www.amazon.com/Desmond-DCF-432-Traveller-Tripod-Section/dp/B014BZU28Y/

The first is my travel tripod. It folds down to 12" and weighs basically nothing. The aluminum version is only slightly heavier and makes for a great budget alternative. The Sirui's main problem is height. I'm pretty short, so I'm not bothered by it, but it's worth begin aware of. The head that it comes with can take the weight of my heaviest adapted lens (Nikon AI-S 200mm f/2, 2700g) on my E-M5.

The Desmond DCF-432 isn't a name brand, but it's solidly made, light, carbon fiber, and nice thick legs for great stability. I use it for everything from μ43 through 5x7 large format, all with great success. I use it with their Desmond DLOW-55 55mm, which is an clone of the Really Right Stuff BH-55 Ballhead ($415). The drag adjustment is a little overly fine compared to the RRS, but it's still a really solid head.

That's funny, because I own and use those exact two tripods, and love them. I have the Sirui K-20X bullhead on the DCF-432, but it's a wonderful tripod. I've use it for a 9 minute exposure, and it's rock steady. Love it.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Very nice. 32mm legs and half what I paid for my flat-design Benro. Had I known about this one when I was shopping I probably would have ended up owning it.
It's a really great tripod, even more so when factoring in the price. I love mine...

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
If I have to pack a 3+lb tripod that requires it's own bag around, then why bother with mirrorless? Should have kept my SLR and backpack around.
There always have to be compromises... so the important question is what do we really need?

For example, a lot of people seem to have 2 tripods. One light tripod for travel, and a bigger one.
I wouldn't have the use for this: this will always end up having the wrong tripod with me and always regretting not having the other.
I mostly use my tripod when I travel (or for short exposures at home) so I choose only a travel tripod (but not the smallest).

I think it's very important to test it to be sure to have the right one (and the "right one" will of course not be the same for everyone).
You cannot judge the quality of a tripod / head just based on the price, or based on the technical data.
I was amazed on how much difference there could be in stability between two tripods with the same material and the same leg diameter.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
For example, a lot of people seem to have 2 tripods. One light tripod for travel, and a bigger one.
I wouldn't have the use for this: this will always end up having the wrong tripod with me and always regretting not having the other.
I mostly use my tripod when I travel (or for short exposures at home) so I choose only a travel tripod (but not the smallest).
I totally get that, and yet I have two tripods. I would consider both of them travel tripods actually, I prefer the larger CF one but the reality is I cannot carry it for 4 hours comfortably or inside a backpack. So if I have some kind of vehicular transport and are unlikely to be walking all day, I always take the big one. The little one is for big hikes or for when walking around town with a tripod would be stupid.

SojiOkita

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In fact, when I say I won't have use for two tripods, it's not perfectly true. It just have to be a quite small one (like the T-1004x I have) and a super small one.
Only very small tripods will fit inside my bag.

I already have a gorillapod (which is less useful than expected).
I considered replacing it with super light tripod like one from the Velbon UT series (less than 30 cm folded)
Velbon Tripods
But I'm not sure I will be satisfied with something like it.

Which one is your small one?

Last edited:

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
In fact, when I say I won't have use for two tripods, it's not perfectly true. It just have to be a quite small one (like the T-1004x I have) and a super small one.
Only very small tripods will fit inside my bag.

I already have a gorillapod (which is less useful than expected).
I considered replacing it with super light tripod like one from the Velbon UT series (less than 30 cm folded)
Velbon Tripods
But I'm not sure I will be satisfied with something like it.

Which one is your small one?
My 'small' one is a Slik Sprint Mini II, which eventually had its underwhelming head swapped with a nice Sirui G-10X Arca Swiss compatible ball/pan head. It still fits in my backpack reasonably easily at 37cm total stowed length.

The 'big' one is a CF Sirui EN-2204 with K-20X head. It is a much better height, (photos don't end up looking like they're shot from a low angle all the time), has spiked legs for soft ground, and is more stable in windy conditions for long exposure. When doing astrophotography on a windy beach or top of a hill the Slik just doesn't cut it.

teacher447

Mu-43 Regular
I agree with "Mellow's" post. I had 4-5 tripods that were hand me downs of cheap junk. Some I even spent money and bought because they were "inexpensive". I'm a senior citizen and needed a better, lighter tripod. I to decided on a carbon fiber Mefoto Globetrotter. I bought it new ($220US) from a Chinese seller. It worked out to half the US price. I've used it and feel that it is more than adequate for m43 use especially if you use Oly and Pana lenses. Attached to my m-5 the heaviest lens that I use is an old (60's) Canon 85-300mm that weights in at 4+lbs. The only thing I would alter is changing the ball head to a larger model. Other than that I'm quite happy.

teacher447

Mu-43 Regular
I bought a 5 legged MEfoto globettotter in carbon fiber, because of its small size. I purchased it from a seller on Aliexpress for less than $220. It easily supports my m-5, battery grip and a large heavy Canon legacy lens that I occasionally use. The ball head is OK, but I plan to replace it with larger model. By the way, Mefoto sells a 4 legged CF Globetrotter, but not in the US. It is longer in folded size, but has thicker final tubes. I'm pleased with the Mefoto.

globtrotter.

budeny

Mu-43 All-Pro
I have three. Big one for car, middle for day hikes and micro for backpacking.
But after getting EM1 I never use any of them - I can repeatedly shoot at 1/6-1/10 sec. without tripod and I like my waterfalls glass-crisp and sharp.
So, my advice: make sure you really need that bulky and expensive equipment.

PS: if anyone looking for decent carbon fiber tripod and head, I have big one to sell: For Sale: Panasonic 35-100/f2.8, FLM CP26-L3S Tripod, Acratech GP-SS Head|Location: USA|Ships: World

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
A number of my video tripods are aluminum and very stable, but a big factor here in Canada, is that anything metal gets very cold in winter, even with padding.

owczi

nareteV 34-uM
I have seen the above Vanguards tripods
Vanguard Alta Pro 283CT Carbon Fiber Tripod Legs with Multi-Angle Central Column System
Vanguard Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminum Tripod Kit

I own the Alta Pro 283CT with the older SBH-100 head and GH-100 pistol grip head. This is actually my third 283CT because I got unlucky twice - first two had build issues out of the box. These tripods come with decent carrying bags. It is stable, but feels a little springy if you don't load it enough. The central column is very useful. I am not a big fan of the twist locks, but they are quick to use once you learn how to do it. It is not heavy. I only really use it with film cameras these days though, and for mu43 I just carry a tiny Manfrotto tabletop tripod with me. For build quality I would have chosen a Manfrotto 190CXPRO3 instead, but the Vanguard is undeniably less expensive. The Vanguard also comes with a clip / hook at the end of the centre column so you can hang stuff from it to weigh it down, but is also comes with a triangular fabric strip that attaches to the legs and sits in the middle - so you can weigh that down with stones of with your camera bag.

So to me - carbon fibre all the way. Little difference in stability but noticable difference in weight. Size wise - 3-section tripods are not the smallest, but these are not meant to be the easy-carry take-anywhere type. If you want that, get a 4-section one or a travel tripod in general.

Last edited:

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The question is more - how light do you want to get, and which features do you need.

Now, you have showed two "universal tripods" which are both big, heavy and not really m43 orientated.

if you really into the flipping middle colomn feature(which isn´t as usefull as you might think) you should look into
Benbo trecker tripod - it´s unique unilock system, which alow you to set up your tripod very fast, and get angles, you need. A contra might be it´s size 1.14m high and 1.6kg heavy, but it is smth to consider.
Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic

now if you look just for a light sturdy tripod, i would go Sirui T-004x - just about 1kg, and 1.40 high 3- sections, micro arca plate design, and my most adored feature - hook for the camera bag - really i don´t know how i lived without it - it gives both - more weight/stability, and is really handy. thats all you could ever need on a sturdy tripod. You could also get lighter and sturdier with carbon fibre - in windy conditions carbon prooved to be less shaky than aluminium, but the advantages of such small tripod in carbon aren´t justifing the price in my eyes(900is gramm vs 1kg).
water resistance is also a thing to consider, if you want to take some shots in water.

I had 3 Tripods - The Manfrotto xprob 055 with gear head - the gear head was just awesome to finetune in architecture/macro shots, center column was also usefull, but rather for macro/Product photography purposes. but the 3kg weight and size were just too troublesome to cary it around.

the next one was a small light cheapo, which i bought 7 years ago in the beginning of my photography - to my surprize i used it 90% of the time after i got into mft, and the Sirui T-004x became a much better substitude.

the head is really a matter of taste - as much as i loved my gear head on manfrotto it was just to big and to heavy to use it on mft. Ballhead is now what i ever use

Last edited:

kinlau

Mu-43 All-Pro
In my experience, a CF tripod in sub-zero temperatures gets too cold to touch for long too... you still need gloves.

In sub-zero, not many people can go without gloves for any period of time, but just try holding an aluminium tripod for any more than 5 mins, even with thick gloves. Even carrying over your shoulder gets too cold.

I can carry a CF tripod in -10C for hours.

Latest threads

Top Bottom