Alternatives to the supplied EM-1 neck strap

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Sootchucker, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Sootchucker

Sootchucker Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2012
    Just received my new OMD EM-1 as an upgrade to my EM-5 and I love it. Only thing I don't like is the rather "in your face" neck strap that it ships with. Anyone have any ideas for a discreet comfortable alternative. I don't think a wrist strap would suffice as I'm using it with the 12-40 F2.8 Pro lens, and I feel the whole package is just a bit too heavy for a wrist strap ?
  2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  3. gems

gems Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 22, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
  4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
  5. Fri13

Fri13 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 30, 2014
    Shoelace is great. Strong and you get any color wanted and cheap. And wanted to add shoulder rest, just use a leather piece or stringer fiber.

I don't usually (99% of time) use any straps as they are on the way and camera bag is close or on shoulder where to place camera. And when going on streets just with camera and one lens, holding it at hand is best way.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. jeremyrh

jeremyrh New to Mu-43

Apr 23, 2014
    Yesssss.... Upstrap is the best strap by a long way. Pity they are so damn' expensive. And take such a long time to ship from US.
  7. Richella

Richella The Wandering Scotsman

Aug 21, 2011
    Kuala Lumpur
    The PeakDesign Leash strap is the best strap I've ever owned thanks to the brilliantly inventive quick connect/disconnect feature. I bought extra connectors for my other cameras so that I can very quickly switch the strap between cameras.
  8. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I only use straps made by DSPTCH, have had 4 of them in different colors and they work out fine.
  9. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

10. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

We all have different preferences - threads like this always get long.

When I got the E-P2 and E-M5, I thought that the supplied straps were way too thin. The E-M1 one is quite sturdy, wide, has good grip, but as the OP says, definitely in your face.

At the time I got my E-P2, I chose the Domke Gripper straps with swivel connectors, but there and then in the UK I couldn't find them sold single so I reluctantly bought a pack of 6, two of black, sand and navy - after four years I think this was a good decision; I now have all my :43: and film cameras covered, with the same great straps.

The connectors rotate so there's no need to turn the strap or camera if the strap twists. The connectors are also detachable so you can disconnect the strap when switching to a sling or something... or you can change the colour of your strap if you have multiple :)

I bought the Peak Design Leash and I did like the connectors, but to me the strap looks and feels like a cheap ribbon key lanyard that I've seen tearing and breaking many times. Maybe I haven't spent enough time with it, but I don't think I'd trust it with my E-M1, never mind a (D)SLR. This is a biased opinion though so don't treat it too seriously.
  11. Zee

Zee Mu-43 Top Veteran

This looks like my next strap - I like the idea of quick removal, I'm going to be diving with my EM-1 once I get a housing, and removing the strap quickly is a must...

12. billbooz

billbooz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2014
    Lynchburg, VA USA
    William H. Booz
  13. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    I just ordered a Joby Ultrafit sling; BestBuy has it on clearance for under $20, or you can get it from Joby or on eBay for about $30.

Best Buy has it listed as JB01257-BAM "Joby - Sling Camera Strap", but that model number matches the Ultrafit elsewhere.

They don't have it in stock in most stores, but you can do 'ship to store' from their site.

14. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Here's another vote for the Domke Gripper straps. I tried a strap made by Op/Tech on my 5D Mark II, but the wide strap would dig into my neck when tilting my head back to shoot things up high. In the heat of the summer, the neoprene was like wearing a hot compress on the back of your neck. I wish I'd discovered the Domke straps years ago. They're not only lightweight, but they breathe and feel soft against your neck. They're the only straps I use now.
  15. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Gordy's and Lance both have nice selections if you like their respective styles.

16. Mikefellh

Mikefellh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Go to a camera store and see what YOU like!
  17. 2112

2112 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 3, 2014
    Emerald Isle, NC.
    I ordered a Peak Design's Leash yesterday and just waiting on it...
  18. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    god forbid we take advantage of the accessibility in audience of the internet and solicit for opinion
    • Like Like x 2