Alternatives to the olympus 75mm

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Hi all. I have been looking at the image showcase for the 75mm and love what i see, in particular the way it renders the background out of focus. You can be quite far from the subject and still get this affect. Lovely for portrait work and isolating subjects. The thing is the cost! I can't justify the cost right now. Does anyone know of viable and cheaper alternatives. Legacy or new manual focus is fine. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
Yup, Sigma 60 or Oly 60 if you want a native AF lens.

If you're happy with manual, adapted lenses then most mounts have great 85's available.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
I guess Sigma 60/2,8 is really nice & cheap alternative.

Thanks. Your portraits really made the 75mm shine, and inspired this enquiry. So, forgot to say I have the 60mm Oly. I'll have to experiment more but the shorter FL combined with the f2.8 don't produce the same DOF effect, unless I am not doing something right.

SkiHound

Mu-43 Veteran
Rokinon and Samyung both offer 85mm f/1.4 lenses in m43 mount. They are manual focus. I have no experience with them but they seem to get good user reviews and are $299 at B&H. I seem to recall seeing recent prices of $199 somewhere? And as previously suggested, with an adaptor there are lots of good 85mm lenses available. I do agree that a 60mm f/2.8 won't produce the same kind of subject isolation as the 75mm f/1.8.

LoneRider

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I just picked up a Computar 12.5-75mm f1.2 lens. REALLY interesting lens. It shows vignetting at all focal lengths, particularly in the middle of the range, but if you go with a 1:1 or 16:9 crop, there's virtually none at 75mm. Honestly I'd say this lens would be perfect for Nikon 1 users. I'll put up some pics later when I get the chance.

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I guess Sigma 60/2,8 is really nice & cheap alternative.

I love my Sigma 60/2.8 DN-Art, of the 'cheaper' lens (ie: under 300), it's also one of my sharpest native lens, pretty spot-on with the autofocus. I do wish it was a stop or two faster but I still like it, I just use my SMC Pentax-M 50/1.4 when I really need the extra stops (or if I want to knock out the background further including with a tilt adapter).

http://kbeezie.deviantart.com/art/Little-Musicians-Warm-403690570
p9276005_1280_warm_by_kbeezie-d6ochmy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

GFFPhoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
If you are ok with manual focus, the Rokinon 85mm f/1.4 is a great lens at an affordable price.

This Is more of a candid than a portrait but shows the separation. It was shot at either 1.8 or 2.0, straight out of camera jpg.

I looked for a sample image thread but I couldn't find one. Do you mind posting a few more, maybe with a variety of backgrounds. The bokeh looks really smooth in the sample you posted. Also, how large is this lens?

LoneRider

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Wayne
I don't have a lot of pics with it since I just went to MFT a few months ago.

There is a an image thread here though:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=24285

As far as the size of the lens, here it is on my E-M1. Note I have a screw on metal hood so it looks longer than it really is. You can see the bayonet mount for the factory hood, that is the end of the actual lens. My hood adds about 2" in length.

Physically the lens alone is close in size to the 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO but you need an adapter which will add about 3/4" in length.

P6260227.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
A significant factor you should not overlook in achieving a look similar to a 75 or 85 lens at f/1.8 is your placement of the subject relative to the background and the camera position. The influence of these parameters, of the photographer's choosing while setting up the shot, is not to be underestimated in achieving a certain portrait "look".

Using a lens like the 60/2.8 to achieve a look somewhat similar to that of the 75/1.8 will require the camera to be relatively close to the subject and the background relatively far from the subject. The closer the camera to the subject and the farther the subject from the background, the greater the isolation effect and the greater the defocus (blur) of the background. Even using the 45/1.8 in this manner can achieve results which are similar, though not identical, to that achieved with the 75/1.8.

You might do a test, using a set-up as I've suggested, with your 60/2.8. You can create stunning portraits with this lens (as with most good lenses, really) if you do your part well enough. (Careful selection of location, background, lighting, subject placement relative to background, and camera position... in addition to lens selection.) I use my 60/2.8 for general subjects most of the time, rarely for macro applications. And wouldn't hesitate to use it for portraits in place of my 75/1.8. You can make great portraits without the 75/1.8 or comparable lens.

ccunningham

Mu-43 Veteran
I have to second the comments on the rokinon/samyang/bower/bell+Howell 85mm f1.4. Mine has been great optically, but it is MF only. I'm not put off by that, butit might not be for everybody. One help is focus peaking if you have a body with FP.

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
There is another cheaper and smaller option... The 85mm f/2 Mitakon... very nice build quality (aluminium/brass). Actually Mitakon is soon to release a 50mm f/0.95... With their record it will likely be quite affordable.

manju69

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
A significant factor you should not overlook in achieving a look similar to a 75 or 85 lens at f/1.8 is your placement of the subject relative to the background and the camera position. The influence of these parameters, of the photographer's choosing while setting up the shot, is not to be underestimated in achieving a certain portrait "look".

Using a lens like the 60/2.8 to achieve a look somewhat similar to that of the 75/1.8 will require the camera to be relatively close to the subject and the background relatively far from the subject. The closer the camera to the subject and the farther the subject from the background, the greater the isolation effect and the greater the defocus (blur) of the background. Even using the 45/1.8 in this manner can achieve results which are similar, though not identical, to that achieved with the 75/1.8.

You might do a test, using a set-up as I've suggested, with your 60/2.8. You can create stunning portraits with this lens (as with most good lenses, really) if you do your part well enough. (Careful selection of location, background, lighting, subject placement relative to background, and camera position... in addition to lens selection.) I use my 60/2.8 for general subjects most of the time, rarely for macro applications. And wouldn't hesitate to use it for portraits in place of my 75/1.8. You can make great portraits without the 75/1.8 or comparable lens.

Thanks for this. I will try this out. And thanks everyone for your ideas. Plenty to explore and consider.

Latest threads

Top Bottom