Alternatives to PayPal?

sbm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Sam
I have a question about selling items: is PayPal just a defacto standard because it’s popular/easy/trusted/etc?

Would it be cool to use Square or the Square Cash app (or some other payment service)?

More importantly, would any of you looking to buy equipment (say, a GX85 kit with accessories) want to use that option?

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm only buying if I have some form of protection, like PayPal offers. I don't think that Square provides that, but I could be wrong. In fact, I don't know that any other service provides that, which is why, despite millions of people complaining about PayPal, it is still the default choice for most transactions.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
You can use any payment service you like so long as both parties agree to it. I don't think this site requires or even endorses any particular payment method.

But as others have pointed out, Paypal has been around a long time and offers protections. New ones like Square Cash are meant more for paying your friends back and that sort of thing, not buying stuff. I think Square Cash also has a somewhat low limit for how much you can send (low when talking about things we buy & sell here that it).

Last edited:

tkbslc

Super Moderator
Paypal was designed from the ground up to solve the problem of private sellers getting a secure payment. When I started selling my stuff online (ebay and classifieds) back in the late 90s, most people still paid by money order or personal check. You'd hold stuff until the check cleared if you were selling, and you'd pray that the seller wasn't scamming you if you were buying. I remember when Paypal launched and everyone moved quickly to the platform as it meant quick payments and sellers able to confidently ship right away. You had recourse if someone never shipped.

Most new payment apps are designed around sending money to friends and family. So it's not like Paypal.

Even if someone tried to compete with Paypal, there are so many Paypal users it would be very hard. It's like Facebook. Not even google could compete with Facebook, because why would people want to switch to a platform that doesn't have all their friends?

Note: Moved to "watering hole" as it's not really photography related.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom