Alternatives to Panasonic 14-150mm Vario-Elmar?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by lmills, Jun 2, 2011.

1. lmills

lmills Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    I have this lens for my GH2. In general I'm very happy with the IQ - I like sharp images, and this will generally provide them. However it is big and very expensive - I can't help thinking that I could find something smaller and cheaper with a similar IQ. From all that I have read, the current crop of m4/3 telephoto zooms are OK, but not great - I seem to have gone through dozens of write-ups of legacy lenses but could do with some advice.
    Can anyone recommend an alternative, or else reassure my of the sharpness of the current m4/3s?
    I don't mind if it is a prime and I don't need AF, but given that the PL14-150mm has OIS, then any alternative may need to be faster to compensate.
    Thanks in advance,
    Luke.

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    IMO all Panasonic zooms will give you an IQ on par or better than your big 10x.
    However, you could keep it, just ad the 20/1.7 to your kit to get a taste of the primes, and increased versatility.

3. soundimageplus

soundimageplus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 2, 2010
    Worcestershire
    I've just sold my vario-elmar and am using an Olympus 14-150mm. Heres some comparison tests with that and the Panasonic prime lenses.

Soundimageplus: Panasonic GH2 - Zoom or Prime?

4. theflyer

theflyer Mu-43 Regular

Jan 14, 2011
    i owned both the 14-140 HD and the 100-300 zooms - as well as the PL 14-150 - and from my experience the PL 14-150 has the better IQ of the three. without a doubt the 14-150 is bigger, heavier and slower to AF, but not by much, which was acceptable for my use (surf trips) since i was using a tripod and i wanted the best IQ i could find from an all purpose mega zoom. in daylight i found sharpness out of the 14-150 on par with the 45/2.8 or the 20/1.7, an opinion i didn't have regarding my other two panny zooms.

if there's a cheaper, faster zoom with better IQ that plays nice with a GH2 - and there might be - i haven't come across it.

5. lmills

lmills Mu-43 Rookie

May 24, 2011
    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I was wondering if a 100mm+ legacy prime existed that would be lighter & cheaper than the PL14-150. I have no experience of legacy lenses whatsoever and there seem so many possibilities. I will also contemplate something like the Oly 14-150mm as well, but at least there is no rush.