Alternatives to new Oly 300mm f4

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by pcovers, Feb 12, 2016.

1. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    You can get a new Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM for $1350. Add a Metabones auto focus adapter and you are ready to go with one of the sharpest zooms on the market for about $1750. I see the Amazon price for the new Oly 300mm is $2500.

Both lenses are weather and dust sealed. I have been using the Canon/Metabones on my em5 Mk ii for a few months now and continues to operate fully as if it were a native Olympus lens. EXIF data, auto focus through the full aperture range, just a great combination. The one feature it does not support is continuous focus. Considering that you can pick up a near mint 70-300mm L for around $850, it makes the Canon/Metabones combo a great option when looking for exceptional glass out to 300mm range.

I've seen the reviews and posted images of the new Oly 300mm and they all look beautiful I am certain it will be a great lens. $2500 for a single focal length it above my price point. But for those with the money, I'm sure it will be an enjoyable ownership experience.

Don't discount the exceptional Canon lenses out there with the Metabones adapter as an alternative.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Well I can safely say do not consider the Tokina 300mm f/6.3 reflex lens as an alternative, folks. But then I can see from the lack of a showcase thread for that lens on this forum, that you all know that anyway. Only spent a very small sum 'investing' in this lens, so not much harm done.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm assuming you mean the Tokina 300mm f/6.3 reflex?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bigboysdad

bigboysdad Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 25, 2013
    Sydney/ London
    Thanks and duly edited.

5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    While the lens may be weather sealed the adapter is not. So using that lens on your camera does not provide you with a weather sealed system.

6. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    I've got one of those, it's got a whole lot of advantages, it's small, light, really cheap, feels good, looks good, great feeling to turn the focusring. The only disadvantage is the poor performance, _really_ poor.. Great lens if you've got terrible GAS and want a 300 but not are gonna use it.

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    The lens is weather sealed and the connection between the lens and the adapter is weather sealed. The one place not weather sealed is between the adapter and the camera. I've not experienced intrusion of elements at that connecting point in any camera I've owned, but I can certainly see how it could happen under the right conditions.

8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Implying that it is a weather sealed setup is not true and can give others the impression that it is. The adaptor itself can leak as can the most critical junction right next to the camera. In any kind of moderate to heavy rain I would not trust it, I regularly shoot in weather that requires good solid weather sealing. If you are willing to, it's you gear.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I didn't imply anything I only said "Both lenses are weather and dust sealed. " If you use either on a non weather sealed body, you will not have a fully weather sealed "system". If you say you bought that the Oly Pro lens because it was weather sealed, it would not imply that you think the you are fully protected from elements if the body you are using is not also weather sealed. I think most are like you in that they understand the parts that are weather sealed from the parts that are not.

10. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you're buying a new high-end 70-300 4-5.6 Canon lens and an AF adapter to go with it, why wouldn't you just spend the same money and get the PanaLeica 100-400? You get the same range plus a 300-400 f5.6-6.3 thrown in for free. And you have a lens that's lighter, has faster AF, continuous AF, is truly weather sealed, and has a focus distance limiter built in.

I am sure the optics on both are stellar and wouldn't be able to comment on that aspect, purely talking about usability and features.

Obviously it's a different story if you're running two systems and already have a high-end Canon DSLR. That sounds like the investment in a decent EF-M4/3 AF adapter is a no-brainer at that point.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Why even mention that the lens is weather sealed like the 300 Pro when there is no way to use it as a weather sealed setup on any µ4/3 camera? You mention it like "look at this lens, gives you all the same things that the 300 Pro does including weather sealing at a lower price" Now, if Metabones would make a weather sealed adaptor I would be all over it because it would open up a lot of possibilities for me. Unfortunately I just can't go back to using a non weather sealed system except for very specific shooting and for those kinds of things I would be better off just renting.

Want a true alternative that provides weather sealing?

- Olympus ZD 150mm ƒ2.0 $1,500 Used Olympus 150mm f/2.0 ED Lens 261008 B&H Photo Video
    - Olympus MMF-3 $120 Used Olympus MMF-3 Four Thirds Lens to Micro Four V3230500W000
    - Olympus EC-20 $350 Used Olympus EC-20 2.0X Teleconverter 261016 B&H Photo Video

Will also give you an amazing 150m ƒ2.0 lens and if you pick up the EC-14 a 210mm ƒ2.8 lens. These are just prices from B&H, you can find lower on eBay and probably drop another $500 of the total price. I would bet that if you took your time you could put together the above setup for $1500 total, which would not be much more then the 70-300 used and the metabones adapter. Not to mention you would have one of the most amazing lenses out there.

12. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I mentioned that the lens is weather sealed because it is. A weather sealed lens has great benefit on its own. You read too much into what I didn't say and infer things that I did not imply or suggest. People are at least as smart as you and me and they very likely get that if you buy any sealed lens, no matter who the maker is, that it will not keep any other part of the system weather free if that part is not also sealed. They might also like to know if the lens is or is not weather sealed.

I'm not a Canon sales guy and I do have Olympus sealed lenses. I didn't imply anything that I didn't write. I have no agenda.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. pcovers

pcovers Mu-43 Regular

Aug 13, 2015
    I agree. The 150mm f2 is a stellar lens. I would very much be interested in having a day with the lens and 2x converter to see how well it translates at 300mm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Honestly, it performs incredibly well with the EC-20. The 150/2 is the lens that has kept me shooting µ4/3 while I await the 300 Pro and it is so versatile. Combined with the TC's it gives me the following effective lenses:

300mm ƒ2.0
    420mm ƒ2.8
    600mm ƒ4.0

Those 3 focal lengths pretty much cover everything I need for wildlife photography. I have small neoprene pouches that are just big enough to hold the TC's that I attach to the D-rings on my backpacks shoulder straps. Takes me 15 seconds to switch out or remove a TC so don't really need a zoom. I have never had a situation where I needed instant 600mm to 300mm change in focal lengths for wildlife (sports is a completely different animal). I typically setup in a spot and pick the focal length that is appropriate or I am sneaking up to something to get photos. When sneaking up I start with the EC-20 and take photos every few feet, when I am close enough to switch to the EC-14 I do that and repeat until I am close enough to remove all TC's (depending on animal and terrain and safety of course). It really is the most versatile prime in the µ4/3 lens lineup provided you shoot an EM1 that is. Even after getting the 300 Pro it will see lots of use because the 300 will be to much reach for a lot of my gator photography, where I typically use the 150 without any TC.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Out of curiosity...

...could you stack the 150/f2 with the EC-20 onto the MMF-3 onto the MC-14, giving you a 420 f5.6 - and that way you wouldn't even need the 300mm/f4 in the first place?

I don't imagine the quality would be great, but if you omitted the EC-14 from the kit, you might still be able to get good results with the 150/f2, MMF-3, and MC-14 and have one less thing to carry. Just a crazy thought. I wonder if they would physically interfere with each other. I'm guessing not, since the 4/3 flange distance should give about 20mm of leeway, which might be enough to clear the protruding element.

16. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    My understanding is that the MC-14 will not work with the MMF-3. I do not own the MC-14 yet so I cannot confirm, but have been told by @faithblinded@faithblinded that it does not work. I asked him which was better optically because I was thinking about doing just that. I also understand (from what I have been told, no personal testing) that the EC-14 is better optically then the MC-14. You also cannot stack the EC-14/20 because you lose communication with the lens, so cannot focus even manually. Now, you can attach one and focus to infinity then add the 2nd one and use it at infinity focus if you want. I may try that for some moon photos one night to see how it comes out.

17. Raptor7

Raptor7 Mu-43 Regular

Dec 21, 2014
    Madrid, Spain
    The easiest and cheaper alternative is the PL 100-400. It is 1400€, it is weather sealed, it is more versatile than the 300 and it is a native lens. So, being 1000€ cheaper than the 300mm f4.0, I think it is the real winner here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

1. The MC-14 is 'keyed' so it won't fit the MMF-3. It will fit in many non-electronic adapters though.

2. So, what else is out there in 300/4 or 300/2.8 that is much cheaper than the m.ZD 300/4?
    AF or MF; used or new.

I had a SMC Pentax 300/4 in m42 mount, but it was soft when adapted. And huge.

Barry

19. Gary5

Gary5 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 15, 2014
    KEH has a bargain condition Canon FD 300/4 for $182 and bargain condition FD 300/4L for $339. They're both easy to find on eBay. They weigh 945 grams and 1060 grams.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
    [​IMG]

Tokina 300mm f2.8, MF Canon FD fit, adapted to m4/3

• Like Like x 1