1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Alternatives for the Pen F raw files ?!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by toggen, Mar 11, 2016.

1. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Hello!

Got myself a new Olympus Pen F… and very happy
    with it. However, as we all know - AdobeCameraRaw have not
    been updated for raw-development.
    (According to adobe forum, it might take maybe up to 2months
    before we see an update.... ), so one has to use either:
    Olympus viewer 3
    irident developer & whatnot,

And export as tiff into lightroom again.
    Is there better alternatives than Olympus viewer 3 and ardent developer? (Mac)
    Horrible software ….(Both messes up highlights),slooow and confusing.
    But what a camera! REALLY happy with it.

Thank you all and Chiao!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

You may try Darktable and Rawtherapee. Both are free and open source. Neither already has dedicated profiles for the Pen-F but should be able to open and process the Pen-F file with a standard one. You may have to tweak the colors of the tone curve a little. Dedicated profiles usually comes out fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    does not irfanview just open the embedded JPG?

also I'm quite fond of dcraw it seems to do a good job of making a 16bit tiff that can then be processed in your other existing editor

4. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Olympus Viewer 3 applies the preset camera profile to the ORF file on loading, so you don't really see the RAW data; if you don't go back and reset a couple of sliders, you end up with the JPEG you would get from the camera, maybe with slightly more detail. In that sense, it's pretty obvious that IrfanView does show you the embedded JPEG since it looks like the ORF in OV3. If you want "raw" RAW (which may or may not be what you actually want - most people use profiles of one sort or another), I can recommend darktable, as mentioned above; very easy to go back to pure raw data in the edit history dialog on the left hand side - you can simply pass by the profile should one have been applied.

RawTherapee is an impressive piece of software, but I find it considerably more daunting than darktable on first contact. I use it for more exotic data or files that prove hard to correct (e.g. if lens correction data isn't available (yet) or a lens has complex flaws ...). Its toolset is way more sophisticated than darktable's. But darktable makes editing and processing very straightforward and still gives good results.

M.

5. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Thank you all for fantastic support!
    So far,it seems like RawTherapee is THE way,so far.
    A little daunting yes,but doable.
    Darktable would not open anything...
    Mor later - working with RawTherapee right now - looking good.
    Thank you all, chiao!

6. Machi

Machi Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2015
    IrfanView can open .orf files directly from raw data (not preview) but you are loosing some information.
    It's because Irfan works only with 8 bit per channel and original raw is 12 bit B&W image and for
    color decoding (deBayer) there is necessary to have even more bit depth.
    For those interested it's in Options->Properties/Settings->PlugIns and then uncheck "Try to load embedded preview image (if available)".

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    clues can be found by looking at the dimensions of the saved TIF ... if its under 4000pixels wide its the JPG

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I do not use RT often but when I do :) I do not see this big difference. Some things are much more explicit and scary in RT (CIE color! :coco:) but some are also available in DT in more subtle (half hidden) ways or scattered in different modules (many not enabled by default) and with a lot of overlapping functionality (like ten different ways for color correction). RT often seems a little too much "colorspace gurus oriented".

The DT parametric mask, for example, allows to do a lot of tricks, like apply some modules only on the dark green tones for example(?) or denoise shadows only. The same for all the different blend modes available for all modules. Modules like equalizer, LAB tone curve, color zones, color balance are quite complex by themselves. And you can add multiple copies of the same module.

But more then anything with DT you have masks to do selective editing, that is the main reason why I use it more the RT.

Anyway if the OP only wants to do a RAW -> TIFF conversion anything will do unless we are talking about landscapes where I often use a graduated mask to separate sky/land recovery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    I use Iridient Developer as an alternative to Lightroom on the occasional image. I agree that it is confusing at first, especially if you're used to the Adobe approach. The built-in help is good, though, and worth reading thoroughly. I took the time to read the entire thing and fiddle with all the controls until I understood what they do, and now I can develop images with Iridient Developer as well as I can with Lightroom.

I use Iridient to develop RAW files without the embedded lens correction, which is handy when I didn't quite frame an image properly and cut off a bit more on one edge than I wanted to. At some focal lengths, especially at wider angles, my 12-40 zoom leaves a significant amount of extra pixels on the cutting room floor. My only complaint is that there are no local adjustments in Iridient Developer, but that's not a big deal as I end up bring the images it produces into Photoshop anyway to apply lens corrections and other adjustments (I save from Iridient Developer in PSD format, and then convert the background layer to a smart object and go from there).

10. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    @Klorenzo@Klorenzo I'm pretty sure that I am too inexperienced to appreciate either darkable or RawTherapee fully. I'm certainly no pp guru, but darktable is my personal tool of choice, even though I'm absolutely certain that I use in a very clumsy way. RawTherapee has some tools I find eminently useful, but a whole lot of them simply don't mean a lot to me (yet, hopefully) while someone with better understanding might find them totally accessible. Yet even for someone like me who has only a very basic idea of how to do effective post processing, darktable is manageable. Even so, I actually use RawTherapee to do some very basic editing if darktable makes this somewhat difficult or arcane - RawTherapee's ability to apply custom lens corrections is really useful, for instance, and appears straightforward even without a suitable lens profile.

I for one am simply glad to have found a couple of obviously capable tools that I can actually use; as a GNU/Linux user, I have no access to most of the software available for OSX and Windows. I'll stick with darkable and explore it further - it's definitely worth it. So is RawTherapee, but for me, it seems to have a steeper learning curve.

M.

• Like Like x 1
  11. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    When I got my EM5 MKII I had the same issue. I used a dng converter to convert them (took a minute or so each time) then imported to LR or PS as normal. Is there no converter for the Pen F? A lot easier than the learning curve for a new program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Until Adobe updates, I've just been using OV3 as a converter to 16-bit TIFs, then off to LR6. Not real speedy with OV3, but gets the job done for now, and it's free.

13. toggen

toggen Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 11, 2016
    Seems like ACR is updated! For Pen F also!!!!