Alternative to Gitzo Traveler

oldracer

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Seeing MikeB10's photo of his tripod with camera and bag, I'll offer a similar photo of my monopod setup to illustrate the portability tradeoff:

monopod.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BTW, this is the bag: Special Operations Technologies

Have you explored tripods by Tiltall?
They are great! The design is at least 50 years old and they are completely machined from aluminum bar and tube stock -- not a single plastic molded part. (On mine, anyway. Hopefully the new ones haven't compromised.)

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Might not be as stable as some of the ones mentioned but its light, folds flat and fits *inside* my bag. Cullmann Magic 2 as mentioned above.

394853470.jpg

394853472.jpg

Head quickly unscrews and dropped into one of the pickets.

PeterB666

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Peter
I just ordered a Slik sprint mini II. I've only heard good things. It may be smaller than what you want. They make a pro model as well.

I have the Slik Sprint Pro II GM. The GM bit just stands for the gunmetal finish which looks quite neat and seems more durable than the black anodised finish on most tripods.

It is cheap and adequately built for MFT cameras.

The supplied head is too small. Mine came with the SBH-100DQ ball head and you can also get it with a 3-way head. On both heads, the quick release plate is quite small and the cork finish is not a particularly good grip. I have since replaced it with the Slik SH-707E which is a mutch better fit.

The tripod is a 4-section job but the diameter of the smallest section is less than ideal.

The legs can be adjusted to different angles however the fittings are lightweight.

The tripod seems to have very good resistance to corrosion unlike my Manfrotto whose alloy leg fittins corrode quickly with salt water. I do a lot of sea scapes.

I can recommend the Slik Sprint Pro II provided you get s sturdier head and have another heavy duty tripod for serious use. The Sprint Pro II does make a good travel tripod for MFT cameras.

noelh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Bayview Township, SouthShore of Lake Superior
Benro C069

Picked up the carbon fiber C069. Compared to the Bogen 3221 with 3055 ball head it's very light & compact. So far, very limited use. Pretty much any breeze day, actually almost under any condition weighing down the tripod is necessary to stabilize it & reduce any potential image blurring vibration. Price to pay for a skinny legged, ultra light (sub kg) tripod.

robsonj

Mu-43 Rookie
I just received a Manfrotto 732CY carbon fiber. Very light and packs to 17" without ball head, weighs 0.95kg. Feels pretty solid, good for micro 4/3rds and light duty. Have a Gitzo 2531 for the heavier stuff.

FastCorner

Mu-43 Veteran
I'm using a Velbon Ultra VOXi L with Slik ball head. Folds down to about 14" without the head IIRC and is very light. Max height is a smidgen over 60" so I find it to be a versatile travel tripod.

ismailfaruqi

Mu-43 Regular
I can't believe myself... sold Gitzo 0531, Feisol CT-3442 to get a Slik Sprint CL for $50. The tripod is very tall, very light, and very cheap! With bottom part of center column removed it only 1.49lbs!

angloasturian

Mu-43 Veteran
Monopod

But the other thing you can do with a monopod is to clamp it with your hand against a tree, against a railing, the back of a chair, etc.

I have a Velbon Ultra Stick L50 (Twist lock in 5 sections, 35 - 155cm, 230g, 22 GBP) and find it a perfect complement to my E-P1 and E-PL1 when I need stability. I don't even use a ball head as you can lean the stick to get the framing you require. I also have a Hama Star 63 but I hardly ever use it owing to its size.

Narnian

Nobody in particular ...
Real Name
Richard Elliott
Until last year my tripod was J. C. Penny. Worked for 35 years and still does.

Last year I picked up an Induro (which looks like Benro - I think they come from the same factory).

Actually I picked up 3 Induros - A medium tripod, a small one and a monopod. Amazon had some very deep discounts on them at the time.

Induro Alloyflex 6M Tripod AX-114 is very useful - the center column can be angled. Hand for macro and shooting from directly overhead. Cost $57 new. The ball head cost more than that.

464-114_ax114_open_small_1.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom