Alternative to Dropbox

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
I have been using an alternative site to Dropbox for awhile and I am happy enough that I feel comfortable making a recommendation here. The site is just called Copy. The user interface is decent (Dropbox has them on a few things) but the thing that I like most is the amount of space they start you off with (15GB) and then 5GB (that does not expire) for each referral. It does not take long to build up some meaningful free cloud storage.

If anyone is interested in trying them out my referral code is: https://copy.com?r=nKPkXa

Full disclosure: I will get an extra 5GB added to my account if you use my referral code. I am not associated with Copy in any way other than as a satisfied user.
If for any reason you prefer not to use my referral just drop the last part and go directly to the site.

Todd

Real Name
Todd Cleaver
Thank you to anyone who used my link to sign up. I hope that you are happy with Copy; I know that it works well for me. If you do like it (or have some problem with it) please post here so that others will know.

Todd

Roger

Mu-43 Regular
I used you referral code and am giving it a try. I use Dropbox daily. I have it on multiple computers and move from one to another through the day. "Copy" looks like it will work the same way. I'm impressed. I'll know better tomorrow after I download it onto several other computers. Thanks for sharing.

drpino

New to Mu-43
I use Google Drive, Dropbox, and iCloud but had never heard of Copy until I ran across your post, Todd. I used your referral link as well for the extra 5GB. 20GB for $0 is nothing to sneeze at! Edit: forgot to say, thanks!

Between the web interface, the Windows application and the iOS app on my iPhone 4s, I'm impressed so far. The interface is clean, usability is straightforward, up and down speeds are reasonable (not the fastest, not the slowest) and I like the "Fair Storage" concept:

What is “Fair Storage?”

We believe in a simple concept of fairness. Everyone paying for the same data they are sharing doesn’t work for us. We think that’s like going to dinner together and everyone having to pay the entire bill. People sharing content should equally divide the amount of storage being used. With Copy, you can split the bill. So a 12 GB folder shared between 3 people only counts as 4 GB per person.
Hope you don't mind if I list my referral link here to spread the bonus storage wealth around: https://copy.com?r=nTUFqO

I'm also not affiliated with Copy or Barracuda Networks at all... just a satisfied user... so far.

brettmaxwell

Mu-43 Veteran
Copy on its own works great, and I now have 60gb of free storage with them. The big difference and reason I still use Dropbox every day is how broadly it's integrated with other services. If Copy catches up in that regard I'll make the switch.

solidsnake

Mu-43 Regular
Mr. Toddster, will definitely look forward to checking this link out later on after work (cant due to work filters), but i appreciate the information.

Anyone using their Android version if any? id love to know more about it if ever. (again, work trolls cant let us do this)...

Thanks again and looking forward to sharing my experiences (i currently have 95Gigs for free on dropbox thanks to Samsung tablet)

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
My experience with Copy has not been positive- takes forever to upload anything. Dropbox is extremely fast, Amazon almost as fast as Dropbox (with GB of data). I've stopped using Copy because it so unresponsive. Others above have reported a better experience, but not for me. YMMV.

Latest threads

Top Bottom