1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

alternate lenses

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by DW99, Apr 12, 2011.

1. DW99

DW99 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    hey all, I am finding this board a huge wealth of information, and I am sure I could do a search and pick through it and find this answer...but I hope those that know won't mind sharing this again.

I have the Elp-1 and I am looking for a smaller lens for indoor/low light shooting. I spent the weekend with the lumix 20mm f1.7 lens and it was fantastic, but I just do not have the cash for one of those right now. Just wondering if there are any vintage options that may be much cheaper that will fit on the camera body? and if so any leads on where to look for them...internet wise.

Thanks everyone.

2. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    There are tons of fast, cheap legacy lenses that are worth a look. I've got a great (albeit damn heavy) Canon FD 50mm f1.4 that is great for video and portraits. Lots of other people swear by whatever glass they used to own or found cheap. Konica, Minolta, Nikkors, Canon FD, FDn, Pentax...

Is there a focal length or particular style of shooting that you are looking for?

3. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    If you are ok with manual focus. there are some options but none really that wide, they then to be longer length 50 1.8, or 28 1.8 you will not find anything at 20mm really. And you will need to get the adapter for it as well depending if it is FD, k, OM or others. The higher grade lenses are not that much cheaper then the 20 1.7 and the exotic are more expensive depending on brand.

4. DW99

DW99 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 5, 2011
    oh ok, thanks. Great answers guys.

5. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    also if you can live with 2.8 the olympus 17mm 2.8 is pretty cheap on the second hand market. If you really want a prime. And if you are using it mostly outside. The 2.8 is more useful. As anything wider then 2.8 you will run into a over exposing your photos. As big aperture primes are to fast for daylight shooting. 2.5-1.7 are better for indoor and low light work.

When I shoot the 20 1.7 outdoors during the day, I need to put a 3 stop ND filter to keep form overexposing. I do the same with my canon dslr and 1.8 or better lenses even with 1/4000 or faster shutter speed.

• Like Like x 1