Altercation on the beach

Panolyman

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Brian
My wife and I went for a stroll on the beach this morning as it was blowing a gale, with ten foot waves forecast.
However, the sea was rather messy so I didn't get any shots.
Walking back to the car I noticed a family of four playing French cricket.
They were all wrapped up in winter coats with hoods and wooly hats on and I simply thought it would make a great photo in the wintry conditions.
As I approached, (probably at least twenty meters away) the father saw me with my camera and gave me a thumbs up sign and I attempted to take a shot.
With that the mother gathered up the kids and turned them away from me and shouted something at me.
Being deaf, I apologised that I couldn't hear her in the gale force winds.
She approached me and yelled that she didn't want her children photographed.
(I'll add here that I guess they were around young teenagers or so and weren't much smaller than the woman and I couldn't even se their faces or know if they were boys or girls).
I told her that I hadn't actually taken any photos and she repeated her demand that she didn't want them photographed.
I repeated that I hadn't taken any photos and showed her my camera.
She eventually said I had no right to take photos to which I replied that technically I could, being in a public space, but that I appreciated her concerns and stressed I hadn't taken any.
As I walked away she again shouted that she didn't want them photographed.
All this time, her husband stood there looking bemused and I never even glanced to see where the kids were or what reaction they had.
I'm hoping that I didn't spoil their trip to the beach, but she sure as hell ruined mine and I'm still upset about it now.

Real Name
Roddy
Surely just a case of CAMERABAGS, Brian? An altercation would have involved at least a swinging of some photographic equipment? :)

There's always someone whose nose is out of joint, no matter what we try and do. I admit I would have been tempted - just as you got out of earshot - to shout, "Actually, I got LOADS of photos," and just start running....

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
As I walked away she again shouted that she didn't want them photographed.
That is when you should of turned around and openly took a few photos just to make your point and then turned and walked away. Plus they would have been fun to post here to go with the story.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No, it was miscommunication.
Where was the miscommunication? He told "Karen" twice that he didn't even take their picture and even showed her his camera to prove it. And even after that she had to yell after him to tell him a 3rd time she didn't want him taking their photos. So ya, a "Karen". No miscommunication.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
People all over this planet are super-stressed out right now. There must be something in the air that puts human amygdalas on hyper-drive.

"...wars and rumors of wars..."

I've sent a distress signal to The Doctor but have not heard back yet. Or maybe I have, but it was last year and I've forgotten. Or maybe we just need more laughter and humor to survive as a species. Or maybe someone else has a better idea...

You didn't laugh at her or belittle her anger, so thank you on behalf of photographers everywhere. You made us look patient and reasonable once again.

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Here in Australia will call them "Karen": they always want to feel important and make a fuss, and most times they are in the wrong.
As for your rights: 100% allowed to take images of people in a public place, at least in a democratic country. :)

stevedo

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Steve Douglas
My observation is that there are more and more people who "want" to be offended by something, regardless of what it is. This started way before Covid. Just IMHO of course.

felipegeek

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Real Name
Felipe
I'd bet good money those kids have some kind of social accounts where they are sharing photos with friends on platforms mom doesn't know about. A hell of a lot more fraught with security issues than some random photog making pictures of a scene on the beach.

I've had 3 or 4 photographic conflicts this year. Twice with film cameras. I'm willing to delete a digital photo in some circumstances but I'd have to get into a physical fight if they want my film. I tend to out talk the situation, they stay angry but flummoxed and I walk away. Every time it happens I lose my edge for street shots for quite and it takes a while for me to get back to it.

WaltP

Mu-43 All-Pro
Colorado, USA, Terra, Sol, W. Milky Way, 80905
It's even sillier given you had your wife with you......I can't imagine pedophile photographers take their wife with them too often.
Usually, stress reactions are an emotional response. Often having little or no connection to current events. Definitely not subject to reason and argument. Merely venting anger. Non-engagement is often the best option to allow the stressed person to regain some self-control.

As order and institutions we have relied upon collapse, the general level of anxiety and irrationality is going to continue to increase.

Please try to be kind and patient with each other. We are all feeling the collapse in our own ways.

In a public place/forum/situation, humor can be a big help as we go through this chaos and confusion. Laughter is, once again, a great medicine for this ailment of anxiety and stress.

Last edited:

piggsy

Mu-43 All-Pro
People all over this planet are super-stressed out right now. There must be something in the air that puts human amygdalas on hyper-drive.
My big fear out with the camera used to be some kind of interaction with someone who thought I was taking their photo, like in this story.

*until*

I had a run-in coming back from my photo walk, with an anti-mask psycho back in July, who stalked me home and tried to attack me 3 times along the way, and was so nuts it took 5 cops sitting on his head to get him into a police van.

Be careful out there folks!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Long before Covid, I was standing in a doorway with my back to the street, shooting some nice graffiti, on film. As I turned around, camera in hand, a Beamer with tinted windows came to a screeching halt in front of me.

Out jumps a guy loudly accusing me of taking pictures of his children. Whom I actually couldn't see through the tinted glass. But I guess they were there. At least I suppose they were. Why else would he be shouting at me?

When I tried to point out that, a) he just stopped in front of me, and, b) I can't shoot what I can't see through tinted glass, the guy just got madder. The thing ended before I gifted him my camera in his teeth (a nice hefty SLR. I can't remember if it was an SR-T 101, but I think it was), by him getting back in his car, and taking off as quickly as he arrived.

Leaving me somewhat perplexed. It's situations like that, that gives me doubts about the future of mankind on the planet. I've got a theory that there's a limited quantity of intelligence allotted to the human species. And the odds that any given human will get a part of that limited quantity gets worse and worse as the world's population grows. This limited amount also seems to be very unevenly spread over the map. Oh well. Maybe I'm not smart, but I often spell corectly!

Last edited:

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
And yet, the funniest thing is that any altercation with said Karens/Kevins would never occur if we had an iPhone in our hands, instead of a "camera".
Incidentally both take pictures but only the larger one with a lens attached apparently irates them :rolleyes: :doh:

Be cautious photographing other people’s children, even in public places. I’ve seen a similar altercation go against the photographer leading to broken gear, and the police took the parents’ side. It was ugly, but authorities will almost always look to child protection over public interest. The photographer isn’t going to get much sympathy.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm glad these days my natural inclination is to nature and landscapes.
My wife used to delight in taking un-posed pics of kids in parks etc. These days I pull her back...no, no don't do that.
Troubling times.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom