Along the road in Bavaria

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by silverbullet, Oct 19, 2010.

1. silverbullet

silverbullet Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 10, 2010
    seen in Bavaria

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator Moderator Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Not really sure what to make of that.

3. jonima

jonima Mu-43 Regular

Nice Shot, I hoped those swimming pools dried up pretty nicely!!

Pretty sure that was not meant for that!
    :mad::confused::rolleyes:

Johan

4. Herman

Herman Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2010
    The Netherlands
    Thanks Bernd, unusual shot. Well captured. Mm...what's at left and right side of the cross ?

5. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is the most bizarre sight! Thanks Bernd.

6. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Thanks for your comments!

Yes that are small pools for children. They are hanging there to dry in the wind. When I came along by my car I had to stop. For me it's a strange look and I'm not sure what to think about. But the roman-catholics in Bavaria are quite pragmatic. Twenty kilometer away the very famous Oberammergau "Passion Play" took place.

• Like Like x 2
  7. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    I've been to Oberammergau, though not for the play. Spent a couple of nights there. Nice place.

8. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Great! Did you buy a Dirndl?

9. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Bernd, I was just inside in your gallery and saw this a second ago. Very provocative!

How could you not stop?

10. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Strange why anyone would do that

(my daughter is in Munich tomorrow - maybe I should ask her to ask them!!)

11. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    There is no background I believe.
    Here the first shot for the overview:

[​IMG]

12. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    it is even more strange in that it is not "public" i.e. it is in someone private garden

13. BBW

In some parts of the USA, it's quite common to see people who have various religious icons of all different sorts on the private property. And now with Halloween coming, which is a big marketing event here, one can see some real juxtapositions!

P.S. Bernd, you know, I rather like seeing this in context and in color.

14. silverbullet

Feb 10, 2010
    Near Oberammergau Bavaria

Yes Bill, directly beside the sidewalk of this open road.

If it's ok I would recommend to delete this post. It might upset people and this shouldn't happen. There are so much pics from me and others, so BB take your keyboard/mouse and.....
    Thanks!

15. BBW

Bernd there is not any reason to delete the thread. Your photograph, the image is what you saw and reacted to. I'll just edit the title to comply with the site's guidelines.

We have a number of threads that show the insides of religious institutions, as well as graveyards, etc., so please don't worry. We just need to fix the title - which I have now done, thanks to your agreement.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    I don't object to it - I just don't understand it - particularly if the guy who owns the house/garden did it - or left it there if someone else did it

- has it any significance as far as any "alternative" passion play is concerned - is there some kind of "modern take" on a subject?

17. BBW

My guess, and that's all it is, is that as Bernd said - they're pragmatic. They needed to dry their pools out and used their best option. People are so interesting, aren't they?

• Like Like x 2
  18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Nooooo!
    It's a great picture : the black&white is so interesting, and takes a minute to figure out what we're seeing.
    I can't imagine it upsetting anyone who isn't going out of their way to become upset : and such folk are worthless.

• Like Like x 4
  19. dulaney22

dulaney22 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    I thought photographers were supposed to take pictures that made you think. Why is there even a hint of deleting it? Yes, it catches you off guard at first glance, but there's nothing offensive about the photo itself. As BB said, somebody was just being pragmatic. It's certainly ironic that someone with such in their yard would do that, but capturing a picture of it and posting to a website is nothing to fret over.

• Like Like x 4
  20. BBW

Don't worry, it's not going away. You're right - photographs should make you think. Sometimes the thoughts are - "Oh, gosh that's so beautiful!" and other times it's "What?!?" or much more profound thoughts, one hopes, as well.:wink: