Almost Swallowed!

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, Aug 11, 2013.

1. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    RT... you are THE master of bringing outside news of interest into this forum... I thank you for your ever constant vigilance in bringing photography news from the outside into the forum!
  2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Wow! Yikes... Holy ____!!!
  3. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
    I really have a hard time believing this article. I have been in the water with whale sharks a few times, and close enough that I had to work hard to avoid touching them. Whale sharks can get to 40' long, or in other words 6 or so times the length of a diver's body. In the first photo in the article the shark looks much bigger than that. I think the diver was actually farther from the photographer than the shark, and so looks much smaller than he otherwise would.

What bothers me about the article is that it seems to feed into this shark week alarmism that I think paints a false picture of what sharks are like. Whale sharks are harmless plankton feeders and the opportunity to be in the water with them is not to be missed. If a whale shark ran into you it would be like getting hit by a bus, but the shark's mouth is not big enough to swallow a diver.

Here is a (lousy) photo I took of a medium sized whale shark with a diver in the background for scale. Admittedly, the diver is holding a 5dMkII in a housing, which is HUGE.:smile:

4. denniscloutier

denniscloutier Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 24, 2011
  5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Though farther down the article, it does state: