Almost on post 2000 and still shooting with a first gen body, anyone else?

KVG

Banned User
Real Name
Kelly Gibbons
I have been on here for a minute and I started with a GF1, then GX1, OMD EM5, then back to a GF1 and loving it. I find I can still get results and I preferred the results to my newer bodys , but in all fairness I do have numerous FF, 35mm, and medium format cameras to play with as well. Is there any other shooters on here still shooting with a 12mp body? If anyone else is in the same situation please post some recent results.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I too began my m4/3 journey with a GF1, back in mid 2009. It's gone now, but I have a vivid memory of how it felt physically in my hands... what a piece of perfection that camera was. I can see why you're still shooting with one. There hasn't been a m4/3 body since that quite lives up to the magic feel of the GF1, has there?

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I think the GX7 is everything the GF1's successors should have been. It is a little bigger, but it handles so much better IMO. The GF1 is still a capable camera. The one area it falls short compared to the current generation is its higher ISO performance. I still sometimes shoot mine with the 20 or 14 lens. Makes for a compact kit.

KVG

Banned User
Real Name
Kelly Gibbons
The sensor is terrible at ISO 800, but it renders amazingly below that. The overall experience with the loud shutter, clicky wheels and solid meatal body is amazing.

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
You guys are making me really want to try one out! I use my GF3 sometimes with the 17mm f2.8 when I WA something really small, and I recently acquired an essentially free EP1, which also renders stunningly well at low ISOs.
GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Still shooting with my PM1... its been a while though, new job and all that. mu-43.com still gets a daily visit.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I still use my EP1 it sits in the centre console in the car so I always have a camera nearby, if only it had an EVF or the ability to add one. 12mp is plenty enough for 99% of people and in some ways they have great advantages with less computer power and hard drive space needed for them. I am considering getting a GH1 as well they are dirt cheep and have that multi sensor so on the occasion I want 3:2 I don't lose the angle of view so much.

sokar

Mu-43 Veteran
Still use my EP1 for street photography. I have upgraded to an EM1, but still love the first Pen for its form factor. With correct lighting the 12MP sensors still deliver quality results.

fredlong

Just this guy...
Real Name
Fred
I'm still using Panasonic G2, my first and only u43 body. In fact my only active camera.

Here's a couple from this past weekend. I usually work with raw files in Aperture, but these are both jpegs that went straight to my iPad.

Friday afternoon after work at Plum Island beach. 45/1.8 at f2.8 1/640 iso200

Lake Quannapowitt, where I teach recreational kayaking and SUP. 17/2.8 at f/4 1/3200 iso200
This one went through Snapseed on the iPad.

Fred

Timmy

Mu-43 Regular
Still loving my 12mp E-PL3. It no longer remembers the time when I swap batteries but still going strong.

I'm weighing up the advantages of getting a something with a newer sensor Vs a nice lens. Tough decision...

nstelemark

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Larry
I use my E-PM1 quite a bit and I really like it:

Droogie

Mu-43 Veteran
Yep, my vacation camera is the EPL2 it's a refurb that I got from Cameta a couple years ago. I use this camera a lot and love, love, love it. Fabulous pictures - the perfect base for my legacy glass and Sigma lenses. I'm tempted to buy another off Olympus Refurb site just to have. Of course I'm not the quickest to get rid of not-so-new tech. My main camera is still the Pany G3 and it also is a keeper.

DHart

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
I agree that the GX7 is a fantastic successor to the GF1. It feels fantastic in the hand!!! I shoot my GX7 far more than my EM5, EP5, EPL5.

HarryS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Still use my EPM1 and EPL1 once in a while. Have to exercise them or get rid of them.

Modern times. Makes my EPM1 pretty old.

Faster lenses, like the Rokinon 85mm f1.4 helps my EPL1.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom