1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Almost Black and White

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by David A, Jan 17, 2012.

1. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thought I'd see if we could get a thread going for colour shots that are naturally just black and white, or almost so. I like colour shots that come out with basically a white to black tonal range with only a small bit of colour. This one is of clouds today in late afternoon as I was walking. It's been a rainy day with lots of grey clouds, including some very dark ones. Basically I exposed using the E-P3's spot-shadow option with the spot meter measuring one of the darkest clouds, then let everything else fall where it fell.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    Great idea for a creative topic, David !!!

Here's one I shot this morning, just as the day started, of the moon peaking through the trees in the backyard

sized_p1020468.
    GH2 with Meade Mirror lens 1000/f11

C U,
    Rafael​

• Like Like x 1
  3. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Vey nice, Rafael. Astrophotography wasn't an option I'd considered when thinking about this type of topic. Available light situations are obviously one area where this sort of image can be found but there's also still life compositions and even some architectural and interior design possibilities that came to my mind.

4. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Morning coffee

Colour shots of largely black and white subjects are always interesting—the blacks and whites are so much more natural than what you get in a black and white photograph. A dash of colour can really lift things, highlighting the blacks and whites. Here we have a black table and chair, white tiled floor, an iPad with black trim and a stainless steel coffee cup and saucer. The colour comes from the screen of the iPad and the crema of the coffee. You could consider the crema as sauce :)

E-P3 and Oly 45 mm with on-camera flash.

• Like Like x 2