Almost arrested by the police..

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by littleMT, Oct 3, 2012.

1. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I was doing a nightshoot under the stars a few weeks back.

Shooting in Mariposa, which is a upscale community in the desert, many areas undeveloped and secluded, and away from city lights...

we shoot here to avoid the light contamination from city lights...

anyways, while doing a shoot of a corvette, a police car with the lights flashing can be seen in the distance...getting closer...closer....

then BAM!'

he is on us, pops out of his car, hand on his weapon....

I am thinking this isn't good, as I was strapped with my Glock 23 and also my little Smith & Wesson bodyguard .380...

He demands to know what is going on....

"Nothing officer, just taking pictures"

he couldn't believe it....

afterall, whom in there right mind would take pictures of a car, in pitch darkness at 1am in the morning???

"A likely story indeed"

so what do you think happened?????

he jumped in on the set:

shot with the Sony A65

shot with the e-pl1 and 20mm

• Like Like x 40
  2. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Great story..:)! And the second shot especially is quite spectacular!
  3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm guessing this was the real point of the anecdote?
  4. Mr Moo

Mr Moo Rocket builder, collector of vintage air guitars

Sep 17, 2012
    SE Virginia
    Both good photos, but the second one is stunning!:2thumbs:
  5. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    the real point of the anecdote???

I don't understand what that means daddy-o...

we do alot of night time shooting,
    also we drive around the whole State of New Mexico, shooting ruins, junked cars, abandoned buildings....

my girls come with me....

• Like Like x 9
  6. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Hilarious ending. Thanks so much for sharing!
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    On similar lines...

So there is a greenway north of the city next to a small "mountain"(really a large hill, but anyways) that is under darker skies than where I live at my apartment. I went there a few years ago to see the Persieds meteor shower since I couldn't see it from home. There is a parking lot to the greenway so we parked there and just watched. A few months later I took my telescope up there since it was darker skies. About an hour into my viewing session a police officer pulled up and said the greenway was closed at dark. he was curious as to what I was doing. He said lots of drunks like to park there to "sleep" it off or young kids go up there to party. At any rate I packed it up and went home.
  8. RonSmith

RonSmith Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 7, 2010
    Good for you, Lucille. Take care of yourself.

Great shots too!
  9. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    :smile: Lucille, those are some good looking "girls" you have. :smile:
  10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Beautiful pictures, 2nd one is better.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    I shoot alone, so I'm a bit apprehensive of going into areas where there's no civilization nearby. Going out at night makes me nervous too. I guess I should take a course in firearms and get myself a license to carry. I sure would like to feel safe enough to shoot most anywhere I like whenever I like. :smile:

Lucille, those shots are great, and so is the story! The second shot is magnificent! :biggrin:
  12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    I agree with you about the tiny 14.It seems to be the lens I always take for my OM-D.In fact, I may sell my PL 25(nice, but too large),and Oly 45 because I so rarely use them.I'm curious,MT, are these car shoots paid gigs?They look so professional and you obviously put a lot of time and effort into them.And you lose sleep!
    Btw, nothing sexier than a pistol packing mama!
  13. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Some of the places I shoot at, it isn't just the threat of humans, there are black bears, bobcats, coyotes...

I love wildlife dearly, and would hope and pray to never have to use a firearm on one, but if ones life is in eminent danger....
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I hope you're talking about shooting the cameras and not the guns. lol. :cool:

I'm not a firearms guy but you wouldn't catch me dead without a good knife in this city. Wait, maybe you would catch me dead. :rofl:

I'm actually talking tongue-in cheek on that point as well. Truth is, I'm a knife guy and won't be caught without one, but I don't use them for defense or as weapons. They are necessary tools for day-to-day living, but for self-defense I rely on my hands. They always react faster and diffuse the situation before I even have a chance to think or pull a weapon if I had one. Nonetheless, walking around these seedy neighborhoods I live in, I do feel more comfortable knowing I have something on me if the need arises.
  15. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Cool shots, but what about the 'vette shots too? :smile:

Personally, I can't stand it when the po-po shows up (hand on weapon, especially) while I'm out doing a perfectly legal thing. It happens pretty often to me out here (Pittsburgh) and I've lost all patience for it ... back when I lived in Southern Arizona it was a lot less common, but of course I could more easily get a lot further away from everything ...
  16. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

Thank you honey, I haven't earned a dime for any of my images, I am just a
    newbie whom wanted a 'signiture style', and the nightshots did it for me..

been doing it for about 6 months now....

once I learned how to use manual mode, how ISO and shutter speed and Aperature all affect each other, and how compromises are made depending on a given setting, it became rather easy.

to me, photography is simply capturing light.

and I learned the three things that effect that capture of light.

Shutter speed

as a result of night shooting, I tend to always want to shoot wideopen, even during the day..

my cameras capture light, and thier output are my images...

and its a total blast daddy-o!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez

• Like Like x 12
  18. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Nice! And thanks!
  19. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Great story and - as always - fantastic photos. Maybe next time wear a Mu-43 shirt so you can point to it as evidence that you are in a photography group on assignment :smile:.
    • Like Like x 2
  20. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    Well you should! :tongue:
    • Like Like x 2