Almost a rant.

VSTR61

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Vic
I have just sold my E-M5II to a rather nice chap. Only one of several that answered the ad. See my local ad below and some of the messages I received from other interested buyers:

"My E-M5II. Current Model. Comes with three batteries, 25 mm f/1.8 lens, 45 mm f/1.8 lens, HLD-8G Camera Grip, and everything that came in the box. The 45 mm box is missing but I have all the others. Bought from Leederville cameras 2017. Roughly 2500 actuations. Slight rub of the paint on the top but not really noticeable. I've upgraded so this lot is surplus to my needs. Awesome travel kit. Punches well above its weight. AU$600"

I wasn't trying really hard but I figured enough detail was included to get the message across. Or did I?

"$300?"
"$300? Does it come with lenses?"
"$300? :biggrin:"
"What's the shutter count?"
"How old is it?"
"You'll need to find the box to the 45 as I want to sell this to my friend."
"This is too cheap. It must be stolen. $300?"
"I don't want to do business in a coffee shop. Give me your address."

And several other monkeys that didn't bother to read the ad or tried to initiate some sort of scam.

What the hell is wrong with people? Agreed, I priced it low so it would sell quickly and somebody would get a bargain. I know I would like to get a bargain occasionally but I suspect the same tyre-kickers and time-wasters would have contacted me had the price been double.

See, this is why I don't have time for people. They disappoint me.

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Brisbane Australia from Blackpool UK 23yrs ago
Just sold my12-40 on gumtree less than an hour ago to avoid ebay's over $60 fees. A short summary: "Mint condition, with both caps, original packaging, hood and box. Less than 6 months old and only two outings with less than 100 clicks. NOT grey import, with original receipt provided and 18 months left to run on Australian warranty"

replies:

"will you take $300"
"Did you buy it in Australia"
"will it fit my Fuji"
"have you got any filters to throw in free"
"Has it had much use"

Thank feck that it sold quickly.................I was getting sore from belly laughs :)

Real Name
Steve
At least they're only stupid questions, I actually had a stupid buyer for a Manfrotto tripod. He returned it as faulty because the pan and tilt arm wouldn't tighten, he returned it (I paid the return postage) with the manual still in a sealed bag. He hadn't moved the arm from the foldaway travel position to the default user position.

Real Name
Rob
I tried selling about a grand's worth of furniture on gumtree. Started at 200 quid, got messed around with. After I dropped the price to "free to collector" it still took 4 or 5 weeks to get shot of it, because of time wasters. Amazing.

Real Name
Richard
I have operated a small mail order business since 2001. I have shipped approximately 70,000 items. The vast majority of the buying public are decent, intelligent, honest human beings who just need/want something that you've offered for sale.

I get the odd silly buyer through my website (this week's is someone who wants to return double-wrapped/sealed sterile items because I used a second-hand outer shipping container).

Ebay customers are an entirely different class - 5% of my business generating 90% of problems. Most are attempts at low-level postal fraud where my beloved buyers haven't realised that all 1st class parcels now have a delivery scan (Ebay postal losses used to be 1 in 15, co-incidentally this has stopped). The odd imbecile (I do hope you're reading this Mr Blay) who buys stuff for spares or repair and then abuses the Paypal buyer protection system if he's incapable of repairing the goods himself. Then there are the buyers who only get as far as looking at the picture and price before hitting 'buy-it-now', I blame Ebay for that though because they hide the item descriptions on the mobile site, which is kind of an issue for the 80%+ of British buyers who only buy via their smartphones.

Gumtree (Ebay owned, free local ads, cash buyers) customers however are in a league of their own. Midnight phone calls. People wanting to come to my home very late at night. A significant proportion of Gumtree buyers seem to be traders of some sort, who turn up and offer half of the already cheap advertised price (one guy who was telling me he wanted a 50% discount on my old pressure washer because it was "for export"). Cherry-pickers can be an issue. Most annoyingly though - an awful lot of Gumtree buyers (not unlike car buyers) phone to make an appointment and simply don't turn up.

This latest idiot-of-the-week prize however doesn't go to one of my customers. I was talking to my mate at the sorting office on Friday. He just had a brand new silk neck tie returned via Ebay at his expense. The reason? "It's not as shown in the picture, you have just sent a strip of material".

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Gumtree (Ebay owned, free local ads, cash buyers) customers however are in a league of their own. Midnight phone calls.
True I'm guessing that 9 times out of 10 they're on the phone or computer after being to the pub and having a skinful. I've had literally hundreds of the late messages/calls over the years (I rarely got to bed before 1am) and only once has a caller/messenger got back to me the following day or if agreed a time at the initial call, turned up.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
My favourite was when I was selling my Oly 12 F2 and after much two'ing and fro'ing on gumtree, the guy said "I'll do you a favour and take it off you for $25".

Last edited:

Hazza

Just Clicking
Real Name
Harry
A while ago I advertised an imac which was 5 years old but in excellent condition and upgraded to a very good spec. This was advertised on pre loved UK. I was selling for half of what it was worth and had a numpty message me offering half of my asking price because he would have to travel 90 miles to pick it up. In effect, he wanted me to pay his fuel expenses and compensate him for his travelling time. he insisted that he was being reasonable as it would cost him £30 for his fuel alone.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
speaking of morons, I just realised that I'd listed a nFD24f2.8 on eBay accidentally as a 28 ... I have no idea what happened but clearly when I typed 24 into the description a 28 must have been suggested.

Now wonder it went for so little...

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
The thing is, because that's true it's so easy to succumb to playing their game.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Easy come easy go with me. I'm not "money orientated" although I look for bargains and shop wisely, when selling, I don't suffer fools gladly and will reply curtly or ignore their stupid questions rather that "succumb for a buck"

I sell a variety of succulents and to the best of my knowledge, am the only person in Queensland selling this legal variety for the last 5 yrs. This is a summary of the lengthy ad............lengthy because it illustrates the health benefits of using this plant which I'll omit here.

"Pick up or due to their weight $14.55 postage. If you are reading this ad then I still have some left as I always delete my ads when item is sold. I now have a limited number for sale at $15 as opposed to the usual price of $20.
All my individual pad cuttings are between 30 and 50cms which is the age/size when they will throw more pads much more quickly than the smaller, and often illegal pads that are sometimes seen for sale online
This rare species is Opuntia ficus indica which is the only legal prickly pear. All other prickly pears are declared a noxious weed and it is illegal to keep, move to another location, or sell them.
The real item is rarely seen for sale but rest assured that you're buying the rare and legal product and beware of those you may see for sale purporting to be indica that do not grow in a tall upright position as in my pics and are also showing spines on mature pads. Indica drops it's spines after a couple of months.
Used to treat diabetes and inflammation see below
The mother plants now stand at 3 metres tall at 3yr old indicating it's fast growth and you are welcome to view under no obligation. You can of course, cut back to obtain more plants, or to eat, and keep the cactus shorter.
This species is devoid of all spines but has the odd glochid . Both the pads and fruit can be eaten. Replacement guaranteed should cuttings fail to strike, although I have never needed to replace due to this plants ability to freely root."

Responses: Do you post? Is this item still available? Are they still $20? What size are they? I've heard that they are illegal, why are you selling them? Will I get in trouble if I'm caught with them? How big do they grow? Can you post them potted? Is the mother plant available, how much for it, and can you post ? :coco::coco: (that one was a killer!) :rofl: Do they have spines because my dog wees on my plants in the garden and I'd hate for his John Thomas to get spiked (must have been a pom migrant) :rofl:. I'm looking for an established plant with more than one pad. Do you post double or triple pads and will they fit in a 3 kilo satchel? (a 3kg satchel measures 34 x 42 cms...my pads have a minimum size of 25cms). My husband is diabetic, if I cook them for him can you assure me the glochids won't stick in his throat? (you scrape, or burn them off before cooking) I believe they come from Mexico and Texas, will they survive in Queensland....................(ehhhhhhhhhhr no! I'm in Queensland am I not?) :coco:

Conversation: "I come from Malta and want the fruits but your fruits are a different colour to what they are in Malta" "That's because the one's growing in Malta are a different (illegal in Australia) sub species or possibly mine are at a different stage of ripening." But I've seen them in the countryside here the same as those in Malta" "Yes, they are the illegal ones that you see and are not allowed to be moved to prevent their spread" "But rather than pay you $15 why can't I take them and eat them?" You can, but although you are going to eat them, you are still transferring an obnoxious weed from one environment to another and the seeds from the fruits, which don't break down in bird excreta create a spread of the problem. If you're caught it could result in a heavy fine of over $450 up to $12000" "I'm not feeding them to my birds, I'll take the chance"............. WTF!

Lots more stupidity, and although I used to give the benefit of the doubt and wonder if it was my age/arrogance/whatever that made me so intolerant of feckwits, of late, I'm more assigned to the reality that the human race will bring about it's own downfall, much earlier than I supposed......................these feckwits are raising families and driving their kids to school?????????

Real Name
What Is Real Anyway?
Many years ago I bought a ball mill for my wife on Ebay. It was located in California, and I wasn't too sure how it was going to ship. I used my work address because I had a forklift there. One day the guy I bought it from showed up with it in the back of his truck, he said he had never been to Utah, so he decided to take a road trip and deliver it himself.

Mack

Mu-43 All-Pro
Funny thread.

We had a yard sale once...and once only. Never again!

Someone bought some old tennis shoes for 25 cents. That night they called (Mistake to put our phone number in ad with neighborhood's garage sale date.) and "Wanted us to buy new shoe laces for them as they broke." They came back and demanded their 25 cents back. We gave them back their 25 cents, and the shoes went into the trash. :rolleyes-38:

Bidkev

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Many years ago I bought a ball mill for my wife on Ebay. It was located in California, and I wasn't too sure how it was going to ship. I used my work address because I had a forklift there. One day the guy I bought it from showed up with it in the back of his truck, he said he had never been to Utah, so he decided to take a road trip and deliver it himself.
Nice guy, but what's a "ball mill" ?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom