All about the electronic shutter

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by dweller, Sep 13, 2013.

1. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I just discovered that using the electronic shutter on my G5 in artificial light can result in ugly bands across the image.

Found a great article on m43photo that explains why this happens and other things to consider when using the e shutter. It was published a while back but some may have missed it as I had.
    Sent from my B92 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 4
  2. brettmaxwell

brettmaxwell Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2012
    As the article points out, it's specifically a problem under fluorescent light. Under many artificial lights it's just fine.
  3. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    The banding I got was with a regular old fashioned incandescent bulb so I don't think the fluorescent only statement holds.
  4. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    I use the electronic shutter on my GH3 a lot. There is a banding issue with some light sources, specifically lighting that switches off and on with the frequency of the AC supply. Some incandescent light will also cause banding depending on the bulb filament. I first noticed the banding when doing product photography with CFC lighting. Easily fixed by turning the electronic shutter function off. Some focal plane shuttered film cameras at certain shutter speeds exhibited similar issues.
  5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yep, take a photo of a TV screen with an old horizontal focal plane shutter and you'll see an interesting effect.
  6. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Any notice of shutter slap with the eshutter turned off?