1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

All about SD Cards

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by shakeyhands, Jun 17, 2013.

1. shakeyhands

shakeyhands New to Mu-43

Jun 13, 2013
    What SD Cards have worked well for you? What SD Cards have been the cause of problems and are best to avoid? I realize that if I need to shoot full HD that class 6 or 10 is needed but on a normal day of shooting what do you use?

2. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    The SanDisk Extreme Pro SDHC Class 10 UHS-1 Flash Memory Card 95MB/s works very well for me.

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Class 10 cards are so cheap now I always buy them.

I currently use Toshiba and Transcend cards now, 16gbs. although I used to buy sandisk CF cards before.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app

4. ivoire

ivoire Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2011
    Naperville, IL
    mike
    SanDisk Extreme SDHC Class 10 16gb, SanDisk Ultra SDHC Class 10 16gb and 32gb, Transcend Class 10 16gb and Patriot LX 32GB. The two Sandisk run at same speed with the extreme being better under more strenuous conditions of heat and cold. The Patriot has about half the transfer speed of the Sandisk but works fine in the EPL5. I had a 32gb Sandisk Ultra that failed and had to be replaced, same with a Transcend 16gb. Duds happen in all mfg processes so it's best to keep receipts and warranty info for replacement. For video it is best to have hight capacity cards but i find for general still shooting 16gb is the most cost effective to get the job done. In 5 yrs i've only shot out the 16gb card once while doing paid work (shooting raw) and once using the Sigma DP2 Merrill (it creates raw 50mb files).

5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    I use Trascend 16gb UHS-I 85mbps and some Trascend 16gb UHS 45mbps and cant tell the difference. and that difference is when you shoot 9fps or so. which i hardly do. both cards are awesome and cheap. i have 6 or 8 in total for travelling. I use only one in daily use.

6. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    +1. This SanDisk card is great. Have no buffer problems whatsoever with the OM-D, which is worlds better than what I had with my prior GH2. I also use the EyeFi Pro X2 card which has nowhere near the performance of the SanDisk but is uber convenient when traveling to get the pics onto the phone and to family.

7. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    For the ultimate reliability I would recommend the Sandisk Extreme 45MB/sec or Extreme Pro 95MB/sec, taking care to avoid the 128GB versions as they are not water-resistant, whereas the 64GB and slower are.

Crucially, buy from a trustworthy retailer (Amazon or well-known retailers rather than unknown Amazon third-party sellers or Chinese/Hong Kong retailers on eBay as there are many fakes produced in China and sold into the US and Europe.

On the E-M5 I find the Extreme Pro can shoot slightly longer 4fps sequences (approx. 23 vs 17 RAW files) before slowing, and the buffer clears more rapidly. So I own one such card for situations in which I'm doing a lot of continuous shooting. Otherwise, I'd recommend buying the 45MB/sec Extreme cards, which (in the UK at least) are a little under half the price per GB.

8. Ipayon

Ipayon New to Mu-43

Jan 8, 2013
    San Diego
    Jerome
    A lot of great info.
    thanks guys

9. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    +1 on these.

10. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    UHS cards, A-Data and Sandisk Extreme for the GH3, and class 6 or 10 for the GH1, GH2 and GF3 since they're just as slow on UHS as class 10.

11. Stanacious

Stanacious New to Mu-43

Jun 18, 2013
    Houston, TX
    Stan
    Thanks

Thanks Shakeyhands for posting this and everyone who replied, I've been wondering the same myself.

12. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I was shooting an event the other day using a class 4 16gb transcend card and my E-PL1 was really struggling with the buffer filling up. Would I see much difference if I went to one of the Extreme cards with this camera?

Sent from my Slider SL101 using Mu-43 mobile app

13. Rig Vader

Rig Vader Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    I have transend 8bg sdhc class 10 card and it's kind of a joke. It's about the slowest card I've ever tried (sorry but moving from sandisk class 6 to this only to have what feels like 4 times slower perfomance was a big let down, especially as the card was not really cheap). My sandisk 45 and 95 uhs cards have been great, with the 95 being somewhat faster on my omd. It's been said that this would only be the case on never cameras with fast interfaces, but the difference between the 45 and 95 are felt on the e-pl1 as well.

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    I did compare my Sandisk ExtremePro cards on OM-D. Both are 8gb cards but other is 45mbps and the other 95mbps. 45 speed version clears the full buffer in 13 seconds and 95 speed version clears the same amount of RAW files in 10 seconds. So the E-M5 can take the advantage of the faster card. And even after the buffer is full and you keep shooting in burst mode, the faster version keeps faster pace. So not a big difference but a difference anyway.

15. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    I use Sandisk ExtremePro for the same reasons as Vivalo, quicker write speed. I use 32gb.

Gary

16. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I was mistaken, I was using a Kingston Class 4 16 gb card. I did a test. With my E-PL1 I could shoot10 shots before the buffer filled (raw +LF JPEG). It took 33 seconds after the last shot for the buffer to clear. I will probably pick up one of,the extreme cards, most likely the 45mbs card. Hopefully it will give me better times but I'm worried that part of the problem is simply the older camera.

17. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    Just found this:

Buffer clearing time7 seconds after 15 large/superfine JPEGs*Worst case buffer clearing time. -- This is the delay after a set of shots before you can remove the card.
    12 seconds after 10 RAW files*
    20 seconds after 9 RAW+ LSF JPEG files*
    *Note: Buffer clearing times measured with a SanDisk Extreme III 30MB/sec 8GB SDHC card. Slower cards will produce correspondingly slower clearing times. Slow cards may also limit length of bursts in continuous mode. ISO sensitivity and noise reduction settings can also affect cycle times and burst mode performance.

www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/EPL1/EPL1A6.HTM

I can live with 20 seconds, much better than 33 when you're missing shots waiting.

18. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    The Sandisk "ExtremePro" reads/writes the fastest of the Sandisk stuff. It is also significantly more expensive than the "Extreme".

19. auryn

auryn Mu-43 Regular

May 5, 2013
    Sydney
    I have an Eye-Fi Pro X2 16gb Class 10. Very frustrating to get the wifi working at first. Took a long time to find the best settings for transferring jpegs to my tablet.

Connecting over a wifi network is painfully slow. Tap to connect to the card directly works best. Auto connect to the card is very unreliable.

20. scottz

scottz Mu-43 Regular

Jun 18, 2011
    Littleton, CO
    I picked up the 45 Mb/s Extreme card and my buffer clearing times now equal what was stated in the article I linked. So I see no need for anything faster in an E-PL1.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Mu-43 mobile app