1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Featured Alien

Discussion in 'Other Genres' started by Alpha Whiskey Photography, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Alpha Whiskey Photography

Alpha Whiskey Photography Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2013
    1.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2.jpg

A slight detour from the vehicular photography, this time someone asked me to make some shots with their figurine from the Alien movies. The figurine was around 25cm.
    I quickly constructed a spaceship 'corridor' by taping some black drinking straws together and then gluing the tape to some cardboard. The rest was smoke and light, and a glycerin and water mix sprayed onto the alien for additional shine and saliva.

3.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

The results in-camera were actually good enough that I (fortunately) didn't have to do a lot of additional editing or processing. I shot with tungsten white balance to give the bluish tinge reminiscent of the movies, and in post I removed any obvious joints in the model and added some saliva strands to the teeth (using a pic of dripping honey!). Some of the images were desaturated to give them a colder and more remote feel.

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

I don't think the last few images of the whole figure on the rock (actually a doorstop) or the close-ups were completely convincing but anyway. I'm happy (and so is the client) with the corridor shots. You can almost hear the hissing...

11.jpg

Remember folks, in space, as indeed on this forum, no one can hear you scream (at Alpha Whiskey).

MORE HERE

Video with music here

• Winner Winner x 36
    • Like Like x 17
    • Wow Wow x 6
  2. Great photos. 4th last is my favourite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Andrewmap

Andrewmap Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 5, 2018
    Derby, United Kingdom
    Martin
    Superb! it has the feel of the Nostromo:clapping:.

4. Wow these are really good :2thumbs: I think they really capture the look of the movies and the settings are really well done. Thanks for sharing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. TerriblePerson

TerriblePerson Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2018
    You have the creativity and imagination I wish I could have. I super love photos from this kind of photography when there's a master behind it like you, but I don't have the innate creativity or patience for it.

I know I could change that stuff about me. Do you have any advice for how to get a procrastinator to get into the genre?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jeff Storck

Jeff Storck Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Nov 21, 2017
    Virginia
    I’m afraid... very afraid...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Alpha Whiskey Photography

Alpha Whiskey Photography Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2013
    I got into doing this mainly because I was getting bored with all the other types of photography I was doing. I need stimulation and I saw this genre as potential for some creativity married to my love of movies and action. But it also demands an understanding of lighting, framing and composition too, so that obviously plays into helping the photographic eye.

The first thing I’d say is you have to want it. Because it will demand some time and patience from you, especially in the post-processing stage (at least initially) and I can tell you that I hate sitting in front of a screen for any measurable time. Although, I will say that the invention, construction and experimentation can be the fun part.

Start small, using, for example as I did, toy cars. Select toys that have realistic enough details that you can fool the eye into believing they can be real (albeit with creative lighting and processing). With cars look at the wheels and the shut lines. Don’t be afraid to have your subject in silhouette (as above). Settle on a vision of what you want to see and then work backwards, figuring out what you can use or what you would need to bring to fruition.

If you like these kind of movie tributes or dynamic action scenes then observe movies (or movie scenes) by renowned directors. It sounds really geeky but when I see a film I don’t just enjoy the spectacle and the story; I notice the camera angles, the lighting, the shadows and the colour scheme (or lack thereof). Amateur directors (like amateur photographers) will just shoot whatever’s in front of them. Good directors (and cinematographers) will have thought about how the (oftentimes subtle) colour scheme, light and framing of the scene contribute to the moment of action or drama and your perception of it. In other words, don’t be afraid to use the ‘pause’ button and study the shot, in the same way that you might study the composition of a painting. You’ll pick up a lot of good ideas. And the movie itself may fire you up and give you some inspiration.

Most of all, don’t do it unless you enjoy it. Life is short and time is running out so it’s imperative to do what you find stimulating. Accept nothing less.

That’s all I got for now. Hope it helps. Good luck :th_salute:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DefectiveMonk

DefectiveMonk Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio, US
    Mark
    Here's my take on the doorstop image. The issue is the figurine, not the image. The image is easily as good as the others. What's making it feel less real is the pose of the figurine. The pose is not something a living thing would do. A person or animal would have the feet FIRMLY on the surface so they could move. I think, in this case, your pose is limited by the capabilities of the figurine and that no one could have done better.

This is a fantastic series of images and I think I like it better than any of the car shoots you've done (although the garage was outstanding).

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tool Crazy

Tool Crazy Mu-43 Regular

Jul 5, 2018
    Awesome stuff

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bushboy

Bushboy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2018
    NZ
    Charlie
    Very creative and nicely done! Top class.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kalifornier

Kalifornier Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 29, 2014
    California
  12. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    #4 and #6 are my favorites. Really well done!

• Like Like x 1
  13. rfaucher

rfaucher Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 12, 2014
    Absolutely fantastic work! Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  14. EricRose

EricRose Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2014
    The upper 12
    Eric Rose
    Nice to see some professional looking work. Well done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.