1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Alien Camera!!!

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by zerotiu, Jan 12, 2012.

1. zerotiu

zerotiu Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 13, 2011
    Indonesia-Singapore
    from the video:
    - fullframe 31MP
    - wireless lens, so you can hold the lens while shooting
    - it's also a phone

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgBl0ejQ8c0]WVIL unbelievable new camera at CES 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

funny stuffs, maybe prank? but cool! I know the image data is possible to be transfered wirelessly.... but a fullframe 31MP data ?? I don't have any idea how to capture that big file with that slim technology.

2. Glenn S

Glenn S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 1, 2010
  3. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    Just as Thom Hogan forecast …

To quote Thom Hogan from
    What's With All the Mirrorless Cameras? | byThom sans Mirror | Thom Hogan

"Imagine an iPhone/iPad camera module add-on and how that would further disrupt the compact camera and small system market. Imagine keeping your iPhone in your pocket, but holding a camera module that communicates fully with it. That will be the small camera of the future, almost certainly. Communicating, Programmable, Modular. "

4. rex87

rex87 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 21, 2011
    winnipeg, mb
    damn!..

5. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    This is just a camera with no on board storage. Why?
    Also imagine your iPhone in your pocket and then imagine what you're pointing the lens at. Imagine the "veiwfinder" in your pocket. Imagine the camera module in one hand and the phone in your other...

Now instead imagine your iPhone(or whatever) as a wireless remote for a camera.

Fred

6. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    Wake me when it becomes a reality. Cool concept.

7. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Sorry, I just can't stop. Imagine transmitting a 31 Mpixel raw image over wifi. What would the write speed be? A highly compressed jpeg? What would be the point of 31Mp and "full frame"?

Fred

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    If we assume that 802.11n is good for 150 mbit/s of real world bandwidth, and that the files coming off this sensor are 25 MB, that comes out to a bit over a second for transfer of each file. That's considerably faster than most SD cards, though not as fast as the nice SanDisk Extremes or the big CF cards used in cameras like the D3. Might be an overly optimistic guess on real-world wifi speed though.

• Like Like x 1
  9. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    The key word here is concept. As in plastic mock-up. Nothing has actually been built, nothing's been tested, nothing actually exists.

Interesting idea, but still a bit half baked. If I want to control the "lens" remotely, then the lens needs a tripod mount or some way to hold it where I want it. Having the lens and sensor in one unit turns it into a P&S camera. No interchangeable lenses unless you want to pay for a new sensor with each lens.

You can already do wireless control of some existing cameras--you don't need to separate the "body" and "lens" to do that. All you need is wi-fi or BT built into the camera and a remote module or app for your smart phone. You could use the same link to automatically upload to Faceplant after shooting.

At first blush, the idea of being able to install apps on the camera sounds interesting. Being able to control the jpeg conversion yourself, with a visual interface, sounds intriguing. But who will really use it? People uploading to Faceplant don't care about such things, and people who really care would probably rather do it on a PC or tablet. I suppose there's some group of people who would make use of it, but I think it sounds more interesting that it really is.

10. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    This is what the Ricoh GR system does. Each lens module has a matching sensor built in. Different sizes and resolutions and then the lens focal length is marked in 35mm equivalent. The lens module attaches to the body module which does all the work. The system's not considered point and shoot (at least by it's users) especially now that there's a Leica M mount module with an aps sized sensor.

Fred

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Yeah, I know about the Ricoh. It's a niche camera, though, with very limited sales. And the lens modules are pricey compared to just a lens. With the possible exception of the M module, I don't see what advantage it really offers me compared to changing lenses on the same body/sensor unit. Even the M module won't appeal to the majority of camera buyers, who expect AF and zoom lenses. The GR is more of a gimmick than a real value add, IMHO.

12. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    This prototype has been around for at least a year. I saw a similar video (though it looked quite the same) last year.

13. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    I agree about the Ricoh. The concept is good, but is really worth carrying out?

Fred