Alice Camera

John M Flores

Super Moderator
1608665923461.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

https://www.four-thirds.org/en/common/pdf/pressrelease201215_en.pdf

John M Flores

Super Moderator
Alice camera is the phone/camera hybrid that will use phone-style AI imaging tech:

I just got an email from them that said the following:

"By joining the group, we will be producing the Alice Camera body in full compliance with the standard. We decided to use the Micro Four Thirds lens mount because it is a (relatively) open standard, it is the most compact of the popular professional systems both in terms of lens size, lens weight and camera thickness, and there is an extraordinary variety of lenses available at a vast range of costs, focal lengths and speeds. We believe that many (though not all) of the disadvantages of the system compared to full-frame systems can be compensated for using computational techniques at a lower cost and weight. "

That last sentence is most interesting...

LilSebastian

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
John
Very cool concept. No obvious price point and early adopters risk this company going away and leaving an app with no support. Still, it is great to see the gap between phone computational power, connectivity and camera sensor and lens tech being bridged in this way.

Real Name
Walter
Hmm... they already sold out their Ultra Super Early Bird stratum and are selling their Super Early Bird reservations at £550. The retail price will be £750. Interesting, but I'm hesitant to plunk that much down on a crowdfunded project. As you know, no guarantees.
https://alice.camera

Still, this is something I wish Olympus had explored a few years ago, going beyond what they did with the Air-01.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
USD 750 for a 11 MP camera which requires the use of a phone as a monitor?
Rather steep in price actually, if you'd ask me. And it does make a mobile phone rather bulky.
The only advantage it has over mobile phones these days is the possibility to exchange lenses.

In order to do that, I personally prefer MILCs, getting better resolution in the process, but that's maybe just me.
The argument that it is easier to get an image on social media, is a little backdated as well these days, as it takes only one additional click or thereabouts to do so.

The air-01 is something I seriously considered, because it was affordable, and took up a lot less space. However, in those days I was waiting for a 20+ MP camera, so did not go for it in the end.

Kind regards, Wim

Real Name
Mark
I think this is fascinating the same way I though the Light L16 was. It's incredibly innovative and amazing if it works but you can get cut by the bleeding edge.
My 'new' E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ is filling this niche for me. It's minute! Fits in a polo shirt pocket, with the lens mounted.
I don't think this is filling the niche you think it is. The whole concept of this is the power and software of a smartphone with the superior image quality of an M43 lens/sensor combination.

Think of all the cool things smart phones do photographically that require a computer to do if they're even possible with your m43 camera. Things like "night vision", live panoramas, light modification (stage light on iOS), and the possibility of things like the Spectre iOS app (similar to LiveND). Throw in things like FaceTime or Zoom with a great lens and sensor or taking a photo and not having to copy it your phone to post to Facebook or Instagram and it takes all the friction of of the things "the kids" want to do these days.

Real Name
Walter
My 'new' E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ is filling this niche for me. It's minute! Fits in a polo shirt pocket, with the lens mounted.

Hehe... I just sold a PM2 to a friend of mine. I didn't know what to do with it, but he wanted it. It is pretty small, but unless that is one humongous polo shirt, I don't think it could fit in a shirt pocket. A large pants pocket maybe. :)

My iPhone 12 mini will fit nicely in a polo shirt pocket though.

Real Name
Walter
USD 750 for a 11 MP camera which requires the use of a phone as a monitor?
Rather steep in price actually, if you'd ask me. And it does make a mobile phone rather bulky.
The only advantage it has over mobile phones these days is the possibility to exchange lenses.

In order to do that, I personally prefer MILCs, getting better resolution in the process, but that's maybe just me.
The argument that it is easier to get an image on social media, is a little backdated as well these days, as it takes only one additional click or thereabouts to do so.

The air-01 is something I seriously considered, because it was affordable, and took up a lot less space. However, in those days I was waiting for a 20+ MP camera, so did not go for it in the end.

Kind regards, Wim

I kinda wished I'd had picked up an Air A01 when it was available refurbished on the getolympus store a while ago. It was relatively inexpensive then and even just for fooling around with, it might have been worth it. But, at the time, I just had no use for it. You can find it on eBay for a lot more than that now.

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Hehe... I just sold a PM2 to a friend of mine. I didn't know what to do with it, but he wanted it. It is pretty small, but unless that is one humongous polo shirt, I don't think it could fit in a shirt pocket. A large pants pocket maybe. :)

My iPhone 12 mini will fit nicely in a polo shirt pocket though.
Today I'm wearing one of my old polo shirts, with a very small pocket. 3x4".

The E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ fits in that pocket. :drinks: :flowers_2:.

T86_20210215_134133.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
I think this is fascinating the same way I though the Light L16 was. It's incredibly innovative and amazing if it works but you can get cut by the bleeding edge.

I don't think this is filling the niche you think it is. The whole concept of this is the power and software of a smartphone with the superior image quality of an M43 lens/sensor combination.

Think of all the cool things smart phones do photographically that require a computer to do if they're even possible with your m43 camera. Things like "night vision", live panoramas, light modification (stage light on iOS), and the possibility of things like the Spectre iOS app (similar to LiveND). Throw in things like FaceTime or Zoom with a great lens and sensor or taking a photo and not having to copy it your phone to post to Facebook or Instagram and it takes all the friction of of the things "the kids" want to do these days.
Mark, believe it or not, the E-PM2 is filling that niche that I require filling. The E-PL10 is roughly 50% heavier and bigger (body only).

I have a modern smartphone that does all the things that I want a smartphone to do, including a dual lens camera. The camera is even decent in halfway decent light.

BUT, that smartphone has ergonomics as a camera that make even the marginal ergonomics of the E-PM2 feel fancy, and top shelf.

We each have different requirements ... ;) .

I kinda wished I'd had picked up an Air A01 when it was available refurbished on the getolympus store a while ago. It was relatively inexpensive then and even just for fooling around with, it might have been worth it. But, at the time, I just had no use for it. You can find it on eBay for a lot more than that now.
I tried an Air A01, and a Sony QX model before it; the problems I found with them were poor ergonomics as I was used to a tilting screen and EVF, and slow, glitchy connections. It made me realise how much I value a regular camera shape/format.

Real Name
Walter
I tried an Air A01, and a Sony QX model before it; the problems I found with them were poor ergonomics as I was used to a tilting screen and EVF, and slow, glitchy connections. It made me realise how much I value a regular camera shape/format.

I think the Alice would solve those ergonomic issues, but it's far too expensive to "experiment" with. I much prefer EVFs and have a hard time with rear displays only, which is why I never found the PL or PM to be a good fit for me, even with a VF EVF attachment. Thanks for curing me of that desire. :)

OldRex

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I think this is a pretty interesting experiment. Too expensive for the risk involved, but ultimately I like what they are thinking and sort of imagine that with connectivity as the great enabler, you could imagine a pair of smart glasses as the EVF for something like this. Who knows... great fun to sit back, watch and theorise.

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I think this is a pretty interesting experiment. Too expensive for the risk involved, but ultimately I like what they are thinking and sort of imagine that with connectivity as the great enabler, you could imagine a pair of smart glasses as the EVF for something like this. Who knows... great fun to sit back, watch and theorise.
It is an experiment indeed, with a niche market that is incredibly small.

There may be a few MFT-shooters who'd want to try it, and possibly a few mobile phone camera users. However, certainly the latter category will be very difficult to draw in, especially considering the current availability of more than good enough camera systems for most users on a slew of phones, with the ante even upped further with the latest iPhone and Samsung Galaxy releases, which will filter through to less advanced models within the next 1 to 2 years anyway.

For use on social media, these mobile phones offer more than enough for most users, and those that want more, are probably better off getting a real camera, rather than a relatively underpowered camera add-on at a rather high price.

Kind regards, Wim

Last edited:

wimg

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Mark, believe it or not, the E-PM2 is filling that niche that I require filling. The E-PL10 is roughly 50% heavier and bigger (body only).

I have a modern smartphone that does all the things that I want a smartphone to do, including a dual lens camera. The camera is even decent in halfway decent light.

BUT, that smartphone has ergonomics as a camera that make even the marginal ergonomics of the E-PM2 feel fancy, and top shelf.

We each have different requirements ... ;) .
This is what I use the Pen-F for: I have it always with me, in my man-purse.
Pen-F with 14-42 EZ :). And often one or two of the smaller lenses.

Until the Pen-F I used to carry a Canon Powershot G10 around, and prior to that a Canon Powershot G5.
I just love having a camera this size that allows for interchangeable lenses, where both camera and lenses can be small, but which still allows the use of many fancy features like an EVF, tiltable screen, and not to forget the marvelous creative dial. Although put down in many of the earlier reviews, for me it is a great item to do stuff the way I see it on the fly - creative indeed - and share the results on the fly!

Kind regards, Wim

Last edited:
Real Name
Walter
Today I'm wearing one of my old polo shirts, with a very small pocket. 3x4".

The E-PM2 + 14-42 EZ fits in that pocket. :drinks: :flowers_2:.

View attachment 873836

Hahaha, I shudda known better than to argue. Yes, it fits. Sorta. :)

BTW, I came across a couple of tiny Canon Digital Elph cameras, an SD200 and an SD1200. These things are tiny, like about the size of a deck of playing cards. Unfortunately, the SD1200 looked promising, but the lens is jammed, and the SD200 has something in the display but seems to work. The photos are hardly better than a decent smartphone. Now those would definitely fit in a polo shirt pocket and hardly be noticeable.

Last edited:

John King

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
John ...
Walter, it's just handy to be able to stuff it wherever is available, but, like my FTs 7-14, probably a bit big to fit in some places ...

Fortunately, my gastroenterologist has his own kit ... :rofl: :roflmao: .

My current smartphone is too big, but at least it will fit in my bum bag (fanny pack in US English - 'fanny' means something else in all other English dialects ... ).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom