Alice Camera

Danny_SWE

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Phone-piggyback camera with MFT mount!

Very cool

https://www.alice.camera/#34 33 72 75 6d 6f 72 73 2e 63 6f 6d 0d 0a

1600796929191.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Eh. It's a cool concept. But any new camera company will have difficulty sourcing competitive sensors. This 11MP sensor is not going to find fans on the photographer crowd side OR on the smartphone crowd side, IMHO.

Mack

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Wonder if one could use a cellphone mount attached to the camera's tripod socket via a DIY rail to the RediCam bracket's tripod socket and link it up with something like Olympus Capture to make a DIY Alice? Dunno if Olympus Capture/Share/Etc. would be and answer as it seems one just needs an app to do it with something like a Pen-F attached to the RediCam mount with a cellphone in it.

https://www.amazon.com/RetiCAM-Smartphone-Tripod-Mount-Conversion/dp/B00P4VAHAI

John M Flores

Super Moderator
I LOVE this idea. 11mp is more than enough for digital content creators whose primary platforms are YouTube, Instagram, Tik Tok, etc...

The key will be a seamless software experience. I hope they can pull it off.

rloewy

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ron
Nice. But Olympus and Sony already tried something like this. It didn't work out.

The biggest issue with the Olympus Air A01 was that it was very limited wifi wise, it used WiFi b/g/n - which just had trouble staying connected in highly congested areas. Even upgrade to the current version (ac) would have been a huge upgrade. If this thing is actually trying to go further with the new WiFi 6 - I suspect that it will work an awful lot better - and at least as far as technology is concerned - there is a very good chance it would be able to work where the A01 failed (I have one and I loved it, but if you went anywhere where there are a lot of people - it had problems staying connected).

If you add this with the extended distance the newer versions of WiFi support - this could be a real game changer.

Personally, I loved the A01 - it was a really interesting camera to use. But, the combination of speed and problems with staying connected in congested areas were real... add the fact that the battery was built in instead of a removable, rechargeable battery - and it had issues after several years of use.

Last edited:

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I'm with @Danny_SWE and @John M Flores

Very cool...I hope it is viable and grows from current concept. It seems to overcome the ergonomics issues with phones and social media/sharing issues with cameras. I'll keep an open mind. Hell, some day this crazy auto-focus stuff might even work out. ;)

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
I'm with @Danny_SWE and @John M Flores

Very cool...I hope it is viable and grows from current concept. It seems to overcome the ergonomics issues with phones and social media/sharing issues with cameras. I'll keep an open mind. Hell, some day this crazy auto-focus stuff might even work out. ;)

Like I said to my good friend Alastair in 1986, (a manager at IBM in Birmingham) who was telling me all about the Internet, it'll never catch on.

DefectiveMonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Mark
Put me in the interested group. Something like this WILL be the future of photography. There are iterations to go and kinks to work out but this scratches all the itches for too many kinds of consumers.

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Eh. It's a cool concept. But any new camera company will have difficulty sourcing competitive sensors. This 11MP sensor is not going to find fans on the photographer crowd side OR on the smartphone crowd side, IMHO.

Isn’t that the GH5s sensor?

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Isn’t that the GH5s sensor?
I would say no -- the gh5s has a 10MP sensor, vs. this camera's 11MP. But the company behind Alice hasn't revealed any sensor model or detailed specifications, so there's no way to tell.

Latest threads

Top Bottom