1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Alerts not fully working?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by barry13, Sep 30, 2015.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have never been able to sort this. XenForo alerts are a mystery to me.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    My alerts have never been right since the switch either. I'm clearly not the only one. My photo site has shown a marked drop in traffic coming from mu-43.com ever since the change in forum software. Also, even when they seem to work, the entire set of alerts disappears the moment I click on the first one. That drives me nuts. It definitely didn't do it like that before.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    For those who are having problems with alerts, please have a look at some of these threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ale...7.13820j1j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=ale...e=UTF-8#q=alerts+not+working+site:xenforo.com

... and then ask yourself whether the alerts are working the way XenForo designed them to work, which is that once you get alerts for a post in a thread, you won't get any more alerts until after you visit that thread and alert-triggering events happen subsequent to that.

I have never been able to figure out whether the dissatisfaction with alerts on this site are a function of XenForo functionality being unsatisfactory or whether it is buggy and not working as designed. Either way, I haven't been able to figure out a solution :(.

5. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    That could explain it for me, probably.

I understand why they might want to do that for email alerts, but I don't understand it regarding the Alerts page.

Barry

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  6. Lcrunyon

Lcrunyon Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 4, 2014
    Maryland
    Loren
    I've noticed this too. I believe (but can't swear to) that it's being buggy. I routinely visit every one of my alerts, so it should trigger a fresh alert the next time around.