1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Alerts for watched threads not working correctly

Discussion in 'Site information' started by Phocal, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I have my account set up to not email me, prefer to see new alerts for my watched threads when I visit the site. Anyways, it will randomly not show an alert for a thread I am watching then later will start working for that thread again. This all started with the update to the site and is completely random from what I can tell.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I have the same issue.

3. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
  4. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet - did you ever have a chance to look at this issue? I was away on vacation for a little more than a week and I thought I'd have alerts all over the place helping me catch back up in threads that I'm either just watching or active, and no such luck.

On a fairly regular basis, alerts just stop occurring for some threads and just as regularly they'll start working for a while again...

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I have not yet found a cause.

6. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I also noticed this. I suspect that if you receive an email alert and do not click on the link then alerts remain suspended for that thread even if you visit the site or click on other alerts.
    Maybe visiting that thread again restarts the alerts.

7. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    I don't have email alerts selected and if they start up again is completely random.......no correlation between visiting the thread again or not (well, at least none that I have been able to figure out). All my research has shown it to be completely random, but I am sure there is something that I am missing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    It's just getting worse and worse........I may have gotten 1/2 of the alerts I should have gotten over the last 2 or 3 days. Have started to unwatch then watch threads to see if that fixes anything.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Phocal

Jan 3, 2014
    Good to see that this is still a problem. I would like to thank site admin for not correcting it while still being able to roll out new features.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I can't fix everything for everyone. For example, if I were to stop updating the site and adding features because a few people were having trouble staying logged in, we would still be on vBulletin 3 with a slow server and no gallery.

I also can't fix bugs in the forum software. I am not a programmer/developer. I also don't run the forum as a business for my livelihood. I do it in my spare time for enjoyment, and I do the best I can.

In this particular case, I was not aware that anyone was having a problem beyond that which was explained by normal Xenforo behavior. What Klorenzo described above is normal Xenforo behavior. What you are describing sounds different, but I don't know if it's a software bug - I can't do anything about those except to install software updates that are released by the developer - or something specific to your computer / browser / use.

What I can see from this thread is that not a lot of people seem to be affected. I personally am getting all the alerts that I would expect to get. When someone tags me or quotes me, I get alerted unless there has been a previous alert for me in that thread since last visiting.

I will continue to check the Xenforo forums and other forum software support sites for this issue and possible solutions, but I do not at present have a way to solve it for you.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  11. maritan

maritan Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 30, 2014
    @Amin Sabet@Amin Sabet - I think you're right. Let's say I visit mu-43.com and see that I have alerts for a specific thread. If I don't visit that thread at that instant, I stop receiving updates/ alerts.

I still think that I do miss some threads from getting no alerts even when I should, but I now know what the major issue is and I work around it.

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I think that the frequency of alerts is fine. I suspect that there will more complaints if there was an alert every time that someone replied to a thread. And, forum owners, do want their members to return to the forum rather than just following a few threads via email.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I don't use Alerts for watching threads (have this turned off) but I do use instead the "Unread watched Threads" forum which shows (a) all the threads I watch and (b) more importantly it lists in the initial rendition of the forum when I visit, the threads I am watching which have new posts.

I find this works well as it shows the threads with new posts (I can click on the link at the bottom to go to all watched threads if I wish - handy for finding a thread I had been watching in the past). I can then simply click on the topic heading to go the first unread post or the date and time of the last post to go directly to the end of the thread.

Maybe this is an option for those having issues with the alerts? I actually have the link directly to the Unread Watched Threads forum on my browser toolbar.

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  14. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think I found a way to make it so that an alert comes with every reply to a watched thread: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/disable-notifications-block.55887/page-2#post-833979

But I share your concern that this could cause alert fatigue, and I don't have a way to make the change only for some and not for other members.