Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

Photon

Mu-43 Regular
https://www.dailycameranews.com/201...n-with-surprise-new-functions-and-mechanisms/

It looks like it’s very close. I don’t believe it will be a revolutionary camera or even closer but if they put an EM1mk2 inside a EM10 body and it’s weather sealed , it will be the almost perfect “all in one” camera.

I agree. I think the EM-X showed off the bag of tricks that Olympus has. It is likely that the EM5 mkiii will have a subset of the EM-X features.

I personally guess that they will find a way to squeeze in the live ND filter, PDAF, and handheld high resolution. But that is just a guess, of course.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I agree. I think the EM-X showed off the bag of tricks that Olympus has. It is likely that the EM5 mkiii will have a subset of the EM-X features.

I personally guess that they will find a way to squeeze in the live ND filter, PDAF, and handheld high resolution. But that is just a guess, of course.

My expectation is we'll see all the software-only features of the E-M1X, plus a couple new ones. New processor (TruePic 9) to enable that without needing dual processors. AF will be sensor-limited as it seems to be on the E-M1X. EVF will be the 2.36MP OLED panel from the E-M10's but with the current E-M5's optics for a 0.74x magnification.

I also expect we'll see an E-M1.3 later next year combining the new processor and an updated sensor (my bet is 20MP BSI to enable AF improvements from clocking the sensor faster). That will also be where we see a high-end EVF panel and other next-generation hardware updates.

whumber

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My expectation is we'll see all the software-only features of the E-M1X, plus a couple new ones. New processor (TruePic 9) to enable that without needing dual processors. AF will be sensor-limited as it seems to be on the E-M1X. EVF will be the 2.36MP OLED panel from the E-M10's but with the current E-M5's optics for a 0.74x magnification.

I also expect we'll see an E-M1.3 later next year combining the new processor and an updated sensor (my bet is 20MP BSI to enable AF improvements from clocking the sensor faster). That will also be where we see a high-end EVF panel and other next-generation hardware updates.

I'd love to see 4K60 as well and/or maybe C-AF when shooting 120 fps video but I'm not really expecting either of those. I think the rest of what you wrote will probably be spot on.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd love to see 4K60 as well and/or maybe C-AF when shooting 120 fps video but I'm not really expecting either of those. I think the rest of what you wrote will probably be spot on.

I'm not a video guy, so I'm not making any bets on that side.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Very high chance that I buy this camera, compact and weathersealed is what i'm after (and no Pen Fii in the pipeline). Now, please weather-seal the 1.8 17/25/45's. I used the 17 pro and it looks beautiful, but compact it is not.

Real Name
M@

4k60 with good AF-C and tracking (even just object, not face or eye) would be awesome. 120fps in 1080p with no nerfs would be amazing as well. I don't care as much about the 4k60 as I do the 1080p120, tho, so I'd be happy if 4k only went to 30. It just needs to have good AF-C in video, preferably with some manner of tracking.

I'm getting more hopeful that it will really satisfy me. If it doesn't, I'll probably just get a Sony RX100 VII, and migrate to another platform (Sony A6600 or something) later on.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
I fear expectations are reaching a little high here, only to be disappointed when it actually comes. I've seen this happen before (several times) with some of the rumours put out there & then with wild wishes from the rumour followers.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I fear expectations are reaching a little high here, only to be disappointed when it actually comes. I've seen this happen before (several times) with some of the rumours put out there & then with wild wishes from the rumour followers.

If the expectations are for the bulk of the EM1ii's capability in a smaller Em5 formfactor, then i think that's realistic, Ross.

thenextpage

Mu-43 Veteran
Is the 100th anniversary of Oly past us now? I suppose the big release in regards to it was the emx

Pluttis

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Peter
4k60 with good AF-C and tracking (even just object, not face or eye) would be awesome. 120fps in 1080p with no nerfs would be amazing as well. I don't care as much about the 4k60 as I do the 1080p120, tho, so I'd be happy if 4k only went to 30. It just needs to have good AF-C in video, preferably with some manner of tracking.

I'm getting more hopeful that it will really satisfy me. If it doesn't, I'll probably just get a Sony RX100 VII, and migrate to another platform (Sony A6600 or something) later on.

Think it will have similiar video capabiltis as the E-M1 markII and E-M1 X, they are both good but at the same time a little disappointing in some regards.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ross
If the expectations are for the bulk of the EM1ii's capability in a smaller Em5 formfactor, then i think that's realistic, Ross.
Yeah, that would be but with less battery capacity & (most likely) just one SD card slot. I know they may leap-frog the E-M1 II is some way but at the same time the E-M1 II should still be seen (& marketed) as the 'workhorse' camera with more direct controls (even if only by one extra button on the front) & a PC socket (that nobody really uses these days) etc.

m43happy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Hopefully, the E-M5iii brings something new to the table like the previous 2 versions before it did (mk1 brought 5-axis IBIS, mk2 high-res mode). I'm sure that feature will just be taken to the next level on the next E-M1/E-M1x.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I don't expect video to evolve to be class-leading. 4K60 is possible, but don't expect G9 level video capabilities.

Olympus's strength isn't video and m43 shooters already have access to some of the best video kit out there.

I expect a big push on stills AF-C compared to its predecessor (basically E-M1.2 level) and an even harder push on multishot & computational photography, which is where Olympus has been leading the market already.

One thing we may see is more Art modes, pushing further into smartphone-style computational photography. Otherwise I'm betting on getting HHHRes and Live ND modes, plus hopefully some more takes on multishot (I'd like to see a 4-shot debayer mode like Pentax does and EVF-guided stitching for pano & brenizer-method shots). Plus there will be some unique mode. No idea what, but we've gotten a unique feature at release time for every E-M5 or E-M1 body release (plus the Pen_F)

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
I would love to see more computational photography stuff, but on one condition: I want to be able to output RAW files.

Like it would be great if you could do handheld HDR or handheld panorama stitching, or a 4shot debayer, where the camera does the stitch/overlay in camera, and then outputs a RAW file that can be manipulated in my standard workflow.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
I would love to see more computational photography stuff, but on one condition: I want to be able to output RAW files.

Like it would be great if you could do handheld HDR or handheld panorama stitching, or a 4shot debayer, where the camera does the stitch/overlay in camera, and then outputs a RAW file that can be manipulated in my standard workflow.

You can already do handheldHDR to RAW, and Handheld Hires produces a raw file.

I would like to see pano stitching and debayer added, and agree I want a RAW file.

MRM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
You can already do handheldHDR to RAW, and Handheld Hires produces a raw file.

I would like to see pano stitching and debayer added, and agree I want a RAW file.
How do you do HDR to raw? The hdr produces a raw file with jpeg but as far as I know it’s just he first shot and a normal raw photo. HHHR would be great especially if it gets better with movement.

mawz

Mu-43 Veteran
How do you do HDR to raw? The hdr produces a raw file with jpeg but as far as I know it’s just he first shot and a normal raw photo. HHHR would be great especially if it gets better with movement.

I'm seeing HDR-level data in the RAW from HDR1 when I post-process. It just has a regular tone curve applied by default.

Latest threads

Top Bottom