Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
However you analyse it, mirrorless cameras eat batteries. It's only with the E-M1ii that I feel I've at last got an Olympus camera that doesn't constantly worry me about imminent battery death. Whatever battery Olympus use in the E-M5iii, the key point is longevity (i.e. run-time). If it's worse than the E-M5ii then that's a really bad message.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don’t know why they don’t ship them with two batteries.
Seems like a no brainer, and would win some points with the punters.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That can't be right. It would be madness to go back in battery life. I really can't believe Oly have done this, unless they've somehow significantly reduced power drain at the same time.
I have the E-M10 II, the Pen F, and the E-M1 II....all different batteries.
The battery in the E-M10 II last the longest, followed by the E-M1 II and the Pen F is the worst. I wish my Pen F had the battery from the E-M10 II, so if the new E-M5 III, has that battery....Good!

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
The battery in the E-M10 II last the longest, followed by the E-M1 II and the Pen F is the worst. I wish my Pen F had the battery from the E-M10 II, so if the new E-M5 III, has that battery....Good!

It isn't just the battery, but how much power the camera uses.
The Pen-F could be using more power than the EM10-mk2, causing the shorter battery life.
Or, it could be how you use both cameras. If you shoot continuously on, like when I shoot sports, the battery will last a shorter time than if you turn the camera off a lot. I don't use my EM10 to shoot sports, so battery life is MUCH longer than my EM1-mk1.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Have to be VERY casual not to need a 2nd battery...
Never heard of anyone getting by with only one battery, for any camera...
My point being, that when handing over a couple a grand for a camera body, then having to dish out more spondoolies (to the tune of $135!!!) for another battery is extremely rude of Olympus. And I’m damn sure, Olympus pays tuppence for the same battery...
It’s just a tiny little battery....

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It isn't just the battery, but how much power the camera uses.
The Pen-F could be using more power than the EM10-mk2, causing the shorter battery life.
Or, it could be how you use both cameras. If you shoot continuously on, like when I shoot sports, the battery will last a shorter time than if you turn the camera off a lot. I don't use my EM10 to shoot sports, so battery life is MUCH longer than my EM1-mk1.

All very true, my usage is not the same for the E-M10 as for the E-M1 II. But, my usage is very similar between the E-M10 II and the Pen F and I still make sure I have 2 spare batteries on board for the Pen F and really feel more than safe with only 1 spare for the E-M10 II.....Nothing scientific, just my gut telling me what to pack.

Also, I would not anticipate shooting sports with whatever this new 5 series camera turns out to be, and I suspect Olympus is not targeting that market segment with this model anyway, they already have 2 bodies for that. I suspect this model will be targeted, at least in part, at the world travelers that want to ditch their Canon or Nikon luggage busters with a more compact E-M1 II or X alternative.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
All very true, my usage is not the same for the E-M10 as for the E-M1 II. But, my usage is very similar between the E-M10 II and the Pen F and I still make sure I have 2 spare batteries on board for the Pen F and really feel more than safe with only 1 spare for the E-M10 II.....Nothing scientific, just my gut telling me what to pack.

Also, I would not anticipate shooting sports with whatever this new 5 series camera turns out to be, and I suspect Olympus is not targeting that market segment with this model anyway, they already have 2 bodies for that. I suspect this model will be targeted, at least in part, at the world travelers that want to ditch their Canon or Nikon luggage busters with a more compact E-M1 II or X alternative.

A parent with a child playing middle/high school sports would be a likely owner of an EM10 or EM5.

I've seen enough pro level cameras and lenses at high school games, that it no longer surprises me.

BTW, the EM1X is significantly heavier than my Nikon D7200. ?

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular

This mirrors my experience with the E-M10 II and Pen-F. And I use those cameras for the exact same kind of shooting and more or less in the same way.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
I don't see any sense in switching to the smaller battery, unless they are planning to make the camera body significantly smaller than both of the previous E-M5s.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Have to be VERY casual not to need a 2nd battery...
Never heard of anyone getting by with only one battery, for any camera...
Seriously!!!!!!
A number of friends who are keen photographers have EM10's and EM5's and none of them have spare batteries and they all go out and take photo's on day trips and very rarely run into any battery issues and never enough to drive them to buy a spare.
The average owner of most cameras doesn't need or want a spare battery, i don't have a spare for my TG5 or PM2.
a friend doing there own product photography only just bought a spare for their em1mk2 and only because they currently have a lot of products to do.....

My point being, that when handing over a couple a grand for a camera body, then having to dish out more spondoolies (to the tune of $135!!!) for another battery is extremely rude of Olympus. And I’m damn sure, Olympus pays tuppence for the same battery...
It’s just a tiny little battery....
Again the average camera buyer doesn't give a rats about the spare..... it would sit in the box/shelf and go flat. making it essentially useless as these people wouldn't manage battery rotation and i'd bet good money that even the people with spare batteries fail to rotate the batteries to ensure the best battery life.

I would agree that OEM pricing is high, not unique to Oly though........

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Gustav
I will read everything about this 5.3 in the year of 2021, when I can afford it. My 5.2 still amaze me every time I pick it up!

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I would take that bet, and your money.... haha.
I thought 2 batteries in the box be a great idea. Not all of my ideas are great though eh Phil.. :)

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I will read everything about this 5.3 in the year of 2021, when I can afford it. My 5.2 still amaze me every time I pick it up!

It still amaze me and still capable in compare with other olympus newest camera. Honestly speaking, sensor performance is not so different except if you want to go above ISO 3200.
Plus most of Olympus users will buy the F1.8 primes or at least the F2.8 Sigma Art in which in real life, the range high ISO that will use is about 1600-3200.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I would take that bet, and your money.... haha.
I thought 2 batteries in the box be a great idea. Not all of my ideas are great though eh Phil.. :)
Well if you rotate your spares correctly your one of the few i'd say :) ..... intense and technically savvy forum members may be exempted from this :)
probably better than most of my crack brain ideas ..... two batteries sounds great till you think about how 80% of the users would be wasting it.....

I'd like to see the OEM boys bring the OEM batteries down closer in price to the better 3rd party items and even sell them in pairs at a discount.

Oh and for the EM1X i wish Olympus would release a single cartridge battery that slotted into the compartment used by the tray.

Richard_M

Mu-43 Veteran
Seriously!!!!!!
A number of friends who are keen photographers have EM10's and EM5's and none of them have spare batteries and they all go out and take photo's on day trips and very rarely run into any battery issues and never enough to drive them to buy a spare.
The average owner of most cameras doesn't need or want a spare battery, i don't have a spare for my TG5 or PM2.
a friend doing there own product photography only just bought a spare for their em1mk2 and only because they currently have a lot of products to do.....

~SNIP~

Although I have a spare battery (or two) with me when in the field, purely as a comfort blanket, I'm yet to get close to using one.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Although I have a spare battery (or two) with me when in the field, purely as a comfort blanket, I'm yet to get close to using one.
I bought 2 OEM spares for my mk2 when i first got it as i was aware that i had a week of 12 hr shooting days not long after...... used all three every day and wished i had a fourth at the time .... since then it's been rare to get into the third battery but a lot of outings will see one used fully and the second well down..... though i've also wandered around on holidays and not used one battery over a full day.
If the em5.3 is the1.2 in a small body and they use the smaller battery then even average users may need two batteries.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
Again the average camera buyer doesn't give a rats about the spare..... it would sit in the box/shelf and go flat. making it essentially useless as these people wouldn't manage battery rotation and i'd bet good money that even the people with spare batteries fail to rotate the batteries to ensure the best battery life.

I will take that bet.
I number my batteries, and use them in numerical sequence.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Oh and for the EM1X i wish Olympus would release a single cartridge battery that slotted into the compartment used by the tray.
Olympus has been down this route before with the BLL-1 battery used in the E-1. It was a great battery and long lasting. However, because no other camera used this battery, once Olympus moved away from the E-1, they stopped making BLL-1 batteries. There were a few clone makers that made BLL-1 clones, but they too soon closed the door and stopped making it.

And we likely will start seeing the same thing with BLM-1 batteries (For E-x, E-30, E-5xx DSLR cameras). Olympus has long stopped making BLM-1/5 batteries, and I imagine the supply of clone batteries is starting to dry up. For example, I prefer to use Watson batteries for my clone batteries, and they used to have both BLM-5 and BLM-1 versions. The BLM-5 version is no longer being sold, but they still are selling the BLM-1 version (the same charging plate from Watson can handle both, but the Olympus BCM-5 charger won't charge BLM-1 clones).

While I have a method to use external batteries with my E-5/E-3/E-1 (using a cut-up AC-01 cable and a 9v battery), it is kind of clunky to use.

This is one of the reasons I welcome manufacturers slowing moving towards using USB-C to both charge the battery in the camera, and run the camera.

Latest threads

Top Bottom