Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Enjoying the extra 2-3 stops of usable high ISO for starters.

That's also been around in various bodies for quite some time. Perhaps you simply bought into the wrong system to begin with? And it's not really a "fault" of upcoming camera.
Personally, I think it addresses one of the main complaints about the 5 series cameras that I see being commented on, that being AFC. They probably took a bit too long to address it, but it's likely happened. If the rumours are correct.
If it's too expensive for you, the best thing to do, is not buy one. If enough people do the same, then change may occur. Go buy what makes you happy, and go shoot with it

Mu-43 Legend
HEY! BANG-BANG-BANG (knocks on wall loudly).

Keep it down over there. Some of us mods are trying to sleep over here and you are lighting up the report thread page!!

If not for us, then think of the children. What will they think, watching y'all fight all the time.

Don't make me come over there and read this whole thread!

:p

TNcasual

Mu-43 Legend
You can’t shutter a thread in which I made my best joke ever!!! I even tried to milk it a second time.

I think the E-M5iii will be a decent middle tier camera for a middle tier Olympus mft price. That means it will be more than what most would like, but fit into Olympus’s plan for profit viability.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It will come packaged very nicely with all the latest tech.
I imagine, it will also come packaged with a bonus free 25mm 1.8, two batteries and wall and USB chargers and 64 gig Olympus memory card.

davidzvi

Real Name
David
Personally I'd like them to use the E-M1.2 sensor with phase AF in a body somewhere in between the E-M5 and M10, then kill the M10.

Then use the sensor again in a simplified Pen F sized rangefinder.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Personally I'd like them to use the E-M1.2 sensor with phase AF in a body somewhere in between the E-M5 and M10, then kill the M10.

I think the E-M10 is one of their best selling models, possibly even more so than the E-M5s at this point. They are good enough with an EVF, at a good price point. An model as you've described would not be positioned between the E-M10 and E-M5, and would not be priced like an E-M10 to sell in such volumes, so I think would actually hurt profits for Olympus.

I do think that an E-M5 at this point needs PDAF - like it or not video AF is now very important, and there's nothing more frustrating for a parent than trying to AF on a moving child. The E-M1 Mk2 with firmware 3.0 is my first Olympus camera that can do it. They could just drop in the sensor, TruePic VIII, the basic C-AF algorithm, and skip most of the fancy AF group targets and high-speed options, pro-capture, etc. Oh, and single card slot would work fine.

While they're at it - for the next entry-level PENs and E-M10, drop in the E-M1 Mk1 16 MP sensor with its basic central non-cross-type PDAF array, combined with the TruePic VIII tweaked to apply the new C-AF algorithm for video. Good video AF would be a killer feature for parents.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Legend

The EM10 is the entry level camera. Olympus cannot afford to kill it. Because then the $ entry point is raised significantly, and entry level market share is handed over to Panasonic (for m4/3) or Nikon/Canon for dSLRs.
In general, once you loose a customer to another brand, you may never get that customer back. With Panasonic, there is half a chance, because of the common m4/3 mount. But with Nikon/Canon, because the mount is different, you LOST the customer. And once they start to buy specific accessories and lenses, the hook is set deeper.

Besides, I as an EM1 owner bought the EM10, specifically to have a SMALL easy to carry m4/3 camera.
There have been times where I would grab the EM10, rather than the EM1, because it is small and light.

BTW, you are talking about down shifting the EM5 to be closer to the EM10, not enhancing with EM1-mk2 functionality. Or said another way, enhance the EM10, and kill the EM5.
That means giving up some of the advanced features everyone is wanting, to lower the price point. As mentioned, maybe the EM1-mk1's 16MP sensor rather than the mk2's 20MP sensor.

Last edited:

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I think the E-M10 is one of their best selling models, possibly even more so than the E-M5s at this point. They are good enough with an EVF, at a good price point. An model as you've described would not be positioned between the E-M10 and E-M5, and would not be priced like an E-M10 to sell in such volumes, so I think would actually hurt profits for Olympus.

I do think that an E-M5 at this point needs PDAF - like it or not video AF is now very important, and there's nothing more frustrating for a parent than trying to AF on a moving child. The E-M1 Mk2 with firmware 3.0 is my first Olympus camera that can do it. They could just drop in the sensor, TruePic VIII, the basic C-AF algorithm, and skip most of the fancy AF group targets and high-speed options, pro-capture, etc. Oh, and single card slot would work fine.

While they're at it - for the next entry-level PENs and E-M10, drop in the E-M1 Mk1 16 MP sensor with its basic central non-cross-type PDAF array, combined with the TruePic VIII tweaked to apply the new C-AF algorithm for video. Good video AF would be a killer feature for parents.

The EM10 is the entry level camera. Olympus cannot afford to kill it. Because then the $ entry point is raised significantly, and entry level market share is handed over to Panasonic (for m4/3) or Nikon/Canon for dSLRs.
In general, once you loose a customer to another brand, you may never get that customer back. With Panasonic, there is half a chance, because of the common m4/3 mount. But with Nikon/Canon, because the mount is different, you LOST the customer. And once they start to buy specific accessories and lenses, the hook is set deeper.

Besides, I as an EM1 owner bought the EM10, specifically to have a SMALL easy to carry m4/3 camera.
There have been times where I would grab the EM10, rather than the EM1, because it is small and light.

BTW, you are talking about down shifting the EM5 to be closer to the EM10, not enhancing with EM1-mk2 functionality. Or said another way, enhance the EM10, and kill the EM5.
That means giving up some of the advanced features everyone is wanting, to lower the price point. As mentioned, maybe the EM1-mk1's 16MP sensor rather than the mk2's 20MP sensor.

I few points maybe to clarify:
  • The 16mp sensor from the E-M1 mkI had worse high ISO performance, so no I would not want to see that in another camera, sorry.
  • Move the E-M5 down or more the E-M10 up. Either way you say it amounts to the same. It's just we know the E-M5 mkIII is about to be released so that one moves down.
  • You have to take both parts of my post together. Make the rangefinder the cheaper entry, how well has the GX85 sold? Phase and EVF are a must if they want to compete with things like the X-E3, so again use that 20mp sensor.
  • If the X is a one off or limited series than OK the M10 / M5 / M1 are fine. If not than do they really need 4 SLR style bodies? IMHO all the companies have too many options in the contracting pool. But I'd hope with the 300 and the new 150-400 we will continue to see more development in that higher end area.
Just my thoughts.

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
I few points maybe to clarify:
  • The 16mp sensor from the E-M1 mkI had worse high ISO performance, so no I would not want to see that in another camera, sorry.
  • Move the E-M5 down or more the E-M10 up. Either way you say it amounts to the same. It's just we know the E-M5 mkIII is about to be released so that one moves down.
  • You have to take both parts of my post together. Make the rangefinder the cheaper entry, how well has the GX85 sold? Phase and EVF are a must if they want to compete with things like the X-E3, so again use that 20mp sensor.
  • If the X is a one off or limited series than OK the M10 / M5 / M1 are fine. If not than do they really need 4 SLR style bodies? IMHO all the companies have too many options in the contracting pool. But I'd hope with the 300 and the new 150-400 we will continue to see more development in that higher end area.
Just my thoughts.
I was not denying 20 MP for an E-M5 equivalent. I was suggesting 16 MP with PDAF for the E-M10.

The E-M1 did not have meaningfully worse high ISO perfomance. I went from an E-M5 to an E-M1 and high ISO was not a problem for me - long exposure noise was the issue. There are many happy users of the E-M1 who find it just fine.

How many E-M10 buyers outside of those of this forum would really care for a TINY improvement in high ISO performance? The 20 MP E-M1 II isn't that much better (I now have one). I think they'd pick hugely better AF. Most of the people that I know that bought an E-M10 were not enthusiasts like us... They stuck with kit lenses and maybe consider a fast prime.

As for the RF... I dunno, they seem to be a certain type of enthusiasts' dream but most of the high end RFs on m4/3 tank in general sales. E-P5, GX8, PEN-F...

davidzvi

Real Name
David
I was not denying 20 MP for an E-M5 equivalent. I was suggesting 16 MP with PDAF for the E-M10.

The E-M1 did not have meaningfully worse high ISO perfomance. I went from an E-M5 to an E-M1 and high ISO was not a problem for me - long exposure noise was the issue. There are many happy users of the E-M1 who find it just fine.

How many E-M10 buyers outside of those of this forum would really care for a TINY improvement in high ISO performance? The 20 MP E-M1 II isn't that much better (I now have one). I think they'd pick hugely better AF. Most of the people that I know that bought an E-M10 were not enthusiasts like us... They stuck with kit lenses and maybe consider a fast prime.

As for the RF... I dunno, they seem to be a certain type of enthusiasts' dream but most of the high end RFs on m4/3 tank in general sales. E-P5, GX8, PEN-F...
I've also owned the E-M1 mkI, along with the E-M10 mkI & II, the E-M5 mkII, and the E-P5. Currently I have the E-M1 mkII.

The E-M1 mkI had meaningfully worse high ISO performance in a world where no camera company can really afford a review that points it out as even a minor flaw. No the average user wouldn't notice. Sure 16mp is enough, but the 20mp has phase AF so why not. And a "good enough" sensor when you clearly have a better option just doesn't make sense to me.

The E-P5, Pen F, and GX8 aren't what they should release, they were ALL over priced. Though I did love how the E-P5 felt in my hand, solid and well machined. I'm talking about something like the GX85, an E-PL9 with an EVF and support for the FL-LM3 flash.

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
The E-P5, Pen F, and GX8 aren't what they should release, they were ALL over priced.

This is the unfortunate truth about all premium rangefinder style bodies. Everytime one got released it was for an uncompetive price. So they sold poorly and the manufacturers decided that rangefinder bodies were not sought after. People like rangefinder bodies, but they don't like to pay a 200$/€ premium for them. The GX8 also had the problem of having a in some important parts better camera be released soon after and cheaper. I think if the GX85 had happened a year later we would have a proper GX9 today...

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
This is the unfortunate truth about all premium rangefinder style bodies. Everytime one got released it was for an uncompetive price. So they sold poorly and the manufacturers decided that rangefinder bodies were not sought after. People like rangefinder bodies, but they don't like to pay a 200$/€ premium for them. ..

The problem is sales, accounting and a crystal ball.
If they think they won't sell a lot, they have to raise the price to recover the development cost and not loose money.
But if they raise price too high people won't buy.
If they don't raise the price enough, and they don't sell enough units, they don't recover the development cost and they loose money. And other product line have to support the money loosing product.

To keep the cost down, they have to design to use as much existing parts as possible to reduce the development/manufacturing cost.
But that means something similar to what we have, not something new.
Can they put the guts of a SLR into the body of a RF, with minimal additional cost? The more different you make it, the more the cost goes up.

IF a manufacturer would change their model and make only rangefinder style cameras rather than SLR style, then the picture changes, as the multiple RF models share development costs, and the mfg expects to sell them in enough volume to support the development cost.

Where there are BOTH RF and SLR, there is dilution.
They provide more choices for the customer, but increased development, manufacturing, marketing and sales cost is spread over 2 different styles.
Do they sell enough units to make it worth spending $$$$$ on both model lines? Or should they consolidate into a single SLR style line.
There is no easy answer.

GM shut down the Pontiac and Oldsmobile Divisions.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
The problem is sales, accounting and a crystal ball.
If they think they won't sell a lot, they have to raise the price to recover the development cost and not loose money.
But if they raise price too high people won't buy.
If they don't raise the price enough, and they don't sell enough units, they don't recover the development cost and they loose money. And other product line have to support the money loosing product.

To keep the cost down, they have to design to use as much existing parts as possible to reduce the development/manufacturing cost.
But that means something similar to what we have, not something new.
Can they put the guts of a SLR into the body of a RF, with minimal additional cost? The more different you make it, the more the cost goes up.

IF a manufacturer would change their model and make only rangefinder style cameras rather than SLR style, then the picture changes, as the multiple RF models share development costs, and the mfg expects to sell them in enough volume to support the development cost.

Where there are BOTH RF and SLR, there is dilution.
They provide more choices for the customer, but increased development, manufacturing, marketing and sales cost is spread over 2 different styles.
Do they sell enough units to make it worth spending $$$$$ on both model lines? Or should they consolidate into a single SLR style line.
There is no easy answer.

GM shut down the Pontiac and Oldsmobile Divisions.
But the fundamental difference between RF and SLR styles is only cosmetic/packaging. Whether the EVF is on the top or the side is surely fairly inconsequential.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
But the fundamental difference between RF and SLR styles is only cosmetic/packaging. Whether the EVF is on the top or the side is surely fairly inconsequential.

That is cosmetic.
Think engineering.
Move the EVF to the left side, and down into the body so the top is flush.
Is there enough room inside the body to put the existing EVF there?
Do you have to design a new smaller EVF?
What has to be moved inside the camera to make room for the EVF in the top left corner of the body?
Will the battery have to be moved from the left side to the right side?
What circuits have to be redesigned to fit into a different part of the camera?​
Are the other controls going to stay in the same place, or are you going to move them?
The more changes made, the more different, the more the cost goes up.

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
Well the OMD em1.2 is currently retailing new for $1499. If the em5.2 doesn't come in at a cheaper price point or have some sort of advanced technology then why bother?

I am hoping for a $999 price but that is highly unlikely. Realistically it will be $1199 or $1299. If they come in at $1499 or more then they will be competing against the em1.2 and anyone who wanted an Olympus camera and was ok with that price would already have the em1.2, thereby killing the market for a camera that hasn't even been released.

But what do I know, I am just an average em10.2 user who has been waiting for an upgrade but can't afford the price of the em1.2. Sometimes the asp-c offerings from sony(a6400) and fuji(xt-30) are really appealing as they come in at under a grand.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
But what do I know, I am just an average em10.2 user who has been waiting for an upgrade but can't i afford the price of the em1.2.

Get a used EM1-mk1. That is what I did, until I could afford the mk2.
I've seen some great deals on used EM1-mk1, in the $300s. That was low enough to really tempt me to get one as a backup camera.

I would have gotten a used EM1-mk1 instead of the EM10, but I wanted a SMALLER/LIGHTER camera than the EM1-mk1 that I already had, for casual family events and such.

Last edited:

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular
I shoot the E-M1, Pen-F and E-M10 II all the time, and I don't think that in practice there is a meaningful difference between the three when it comes to high iso performance. Except, as already have been pointed out, with really long exposures where the E-M1 sensor struggles at any iso.

Latest threads

Top Bottom