Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
But the fundamental difference between RF and SLR styles is only cosmetic/packaging. Whether the EVF is on the top or the side is surely fairly inconsequential.
That is cosmetic.
Think engineering.
Move the EVF to the left side, and down into the body so the top is flush.
Is there enough room inside the body to put the existing EVF there?
Do you have to design a new smaller EVF?
What has to be moved inside the camera to make room for the EVF in the top left corner of the body?
Will the battery have to be moved from the left side to the right side?
What circuits have to be redesigned to fit into a different part of the camera?​
Are the other controls going to stay in the same place, or are you going to move them?
The more changes made, the more different, the more the cost goes up.

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
Well the OMD em1.2 is currently retailing new for $1499. If the em5.2 doesn't come in at a cheaper price point or have some sort of advanced technology then why bother?

I am hoping for a $999 price but that is highly unlikely. Realistically it will be $1199 or $1299. If they come in at $1499 or more then they will be competing against the em1.2 and anyone who wanted an Olympus camera and was ok with that price would already have the em1.2, thereby killing the market for a camera that hasn't even been released.

But what do I know, I am just an average em10.2 user who has been waiting for an upgrade but can't afford the price of the em1.2. Sometimes the asp-c offerings from sony(a6400) and fuji(xt-30) are really appealing as they come in at under a grand.

Last edited:

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
But what do I know, I am just an average em10.2 user who has been waiting for an upgrade but can't i afford the price of the em1.2.
Get a used EM1-mk1. That is what I did, until I could afford the mk2.
I've seen some great deals on used EM1-mk1, in the $300s. That was low enough to really tempt me to get one as a backup camera.

I would have gotten a used EM1-mk1 instead of the EM10, but I wanted a SMALLER/LIGHTER camera than the EM1-mk1 that I already had, for casual family events and such.

Last edited:

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular
I shoot the E-M1, Pen-F and E-M10 II all the time, and I don't think that in practice there is a meaningful difference between the three when it comes to high iso performance. Except, as already have been pointed out, with really long exposures where the E-M1 sensor struggles at any iso.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
That is cosmetic.
Think engineering.
Move the EVF to the left side, and down into the body so the top is flush.
Is there enough room inside the body to put the existing EVF there?
Do you have to design a new smaller EVF?
What has to be moved inside the camera to make room for the EVF in the top left corner of the body?
Will the battery have to be moved from the left side to the right side?
What circuits have to be redesigned to fit into a different part of the camera?​
Are the other controls going to stay in the same place, or are you going to move them?
The more changes made, the more different, the more the cost goes up.
Regarding engineering to move the EVF, it is instructive to compare the P5 and PEN-F. The P5 happened to have a flash recessed into the body just about where the PEN-F EVF was located. Otherwise I have taken various Olympus cameras apart, and there is very little room for the EVF, especially as it needs diopter adjustment, and with the E-M5 family weather sealing (not present on the PEN-F).

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
But what do I know, I am just an average em10.2 user who has been waiting for an upgrade but can't afford the price of the em1.2. Sometimes the asp-c offerings from sony(a6400) and fuji(xt-30) are really appealing as they come in at under a grand.
I also am an EM10.2 user waiting for an upgrade, but I could afford a EM1.2. But, as ac12 mentions, I want SMALLER AND LIGHTER - i.e. I want both the small camera body and the small lenses. If I didn't care, I'd use my Canon 80D or SL2 for travel, but the body and/or the lenses for that equipment are just too large for my needs. So the EM5.3 MUST be small (like the EM5.2 or the EM10). I do agree that it will cost about $1199 or $1299. That probably wouldn't stop me from getting it, but only after a while when it might come down in price some. At $999, I'd get it immediately. :)

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
Why?
I don't see the logic.
I can see it if you only use ONE battery, and charge it overnight. The moment you need a 2nd battery, you need a charger.
And if I am charging the battery in the camera, I can't use the camera normally.

A USB charger makes more sense, to me.
Why not? Almost everything that has a USB port can be charged that way.

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Why not? Almost everything that has a USB port can be charged that way.
I have access to a EOS RP which has USB charging, it isn't as nice to deal with as actually having a physical USB charger and a second battery as you'll always have a cord hanging off the camera (be it in your bag or on a tripod) when you suddenly find yourself short on power. However I do advocate that cameras should be able to charge with USB and be powered by USB, something the EOS RP is incapable of.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
Well, wasn't the original (part plastic) E-M5 a bit cheaper at launch than the Mk.II (all metal) was at it's launch?

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I shoot the E-M1, Pen-F and E-M10 II all the time, and I don't think that in practice there is a meaningful difference between the three when it comes to high iso performance. Except, as already have been pointed out, with really long exposures where the E-M1 sensor struggles at any iso.
Hmmm i feel Pen F a bit better but not significant compare to my EM5 II. For EM1 Mark I sensor maybe because it was made by Panasonic not Sony as many Olympus cameras now days.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Can’t see it somehow and if it is true then it’s a big step backwards with battery life compared to the BLN-1
https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-e-m5iii-could-use-the-bls-50-battery-from-the-pen-series/
I hope they have lower power consumption, cuz mirrorless battery life stinks in general.
Even more so to the folks coming from a dSLR, where we get battery life in DAYS vs. hours with a mirrorless.
The 4-HOUR continuous-on life on my EM1-mk1 was a SHOCK to me, vs. 2+ DAYS with my D7200.
So you do either or better both; reduce power consumption and/or put in a larger capacity battery.

If someone puts a 12-100/4 on the EM5-mk3, with that battery, it is goina suck the power from the battery.
I only get about 2-1/2 HOURS of continuous-on life with the 12-100/1 on my EM1-mk1.

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Can’t see it somehow and if it is true then it’s a big step backwards with battery life compared to the BLN-1
https://www.43rumors.com/ft3-new-e-m5iii-could-use-the-bls-50-battery-from-the-pen-series/
As I responded over there:

When Olympus came out with the BLN battery it had a slightly higher voltage (nominal voltage 7.6 volts) than the standard 2 cell lithium ion battery used by most cameras (7.4 volts).
One consequence is that if you use a typical third party battery it seems to not have as much capacity as the BLN, because the voltage meter inside the E-m1 mark I, E-m5 mark I/II, Pen-F, and I think E-P5 is tuned towards the nominal voltage.
Another consequence is if you mix chargers and batteries, you likely won't get the battery fully topped off as if you used the charger designed for the battery.
I checked on ebay picture of the back of the BLH-1, and it claimed to be 7.4 volts.
So it may be possible that the supplier of the cells for the BLN battery is no longer going to produce cells that have a slightly higher nominal voltage, and Olympus is just returning to use the same chemistry everybody uses.
This would be like the days when Olympus & Fuji stubbornly clung to the xD cards until Toshiba said they were closing down the line. What do you know, both of them got the SD card religion.

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
I have checked and agree my BLH-1 battery is 7.4V. An old 2011 BLS-5 says 7.2V.
The BLN is indeed 7.6V, and has 5 contacts, whereas the BLS and BLH have 4. Don't know why it needs the extra contact.
Volume wise the BLS is only a little less than the BLN, so with improvements in cell technology they could have the same capacity.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I have checked and agree my BLH-1 battery is 7.4V. An old 2011 BLS-5 says 7.2V.
The BLN is indeed 7.6V, and has 5 contacts, whereas the BLS and BLH have 4. Don't know why it needs the extra contact.
Volume wise the BLS is only a little less than the BLN, so with improvements in cell technology they could have the same capacity.
The extra contacts either 4 or 5 are about the extra contacts for the charger to talk to the inbuilt battery management system inside the battery and/or to extend out the center connections between the two cells inside the battery to correctly balance change the two series connected cells.
3rd party two pin batteries just dumb charge the series cells leading to imbalance in charge and reduced capacity.

as for the voltages.... see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium_battery for some of the chemistry used and the nominal and open circuit voltages..... its not as simple as saying it should be 7.4v

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom