Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

Real Name
Greg
Yes it's fair to make this distinction, there is nothing wrong the AF-S in m43 except that most of the bodies also struggle in low light with AF-S.

It's also worth calling out that you still need to buy an expensive, advanced body to get really good AF in an Olympus or Panasonic body. Really advanced and intelligent AF is improving in the latest mirrorless offerings from other vendors. These bodies are in the mid-range, $800 or so (Sony a6100, Canon M6 II).

Personally, I wouldn't switch just for this reason but many would.

Hi Greg,
The bolding is mine obviously done to highlight the two comments.... AF-S as in single AF is considered on m43 to be fast and accurate, rarely misses and generally doesn't suffer back/front focus issues

I too considered AF-C to be crap until the em1mk2 and em1x and those two cameras don't change it's crap status on the others in the range.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
I've noticed my E-M5 MkII hunt a bit in still shooting, but I'm pretty sure that's because I left it in AF-C. Even with the 12-40 Pro, it still hunted around continuously. When I remembered to put it in AF-S for shooting stills, it locks on quick.

AF-C does need serious improvement.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Veteran

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
Exactly. They do have a new flagship model coming out too next year so who cares if the 2nd in line leapfrogs the flagship for a few months? Anyone? I didn't think so. :D
Given that the E-M5II clearly leapfrogged the original E-M1 in several regards (high-res mode, better AF-S performance, flip/twist LCD, etc) I think it's likely that the E-M5III will do so as well, resulting in an E-M1.3 hopefully fairly quickly.

The only spot where the E-M5II really was limited compared to the E-M1 is AF-C performance due to the lack of on-sensor PDAF. I do think that was a mistake on Oly's part and limited the appeal of the E-M5II in an arbitrary and ineffective way. However when the E-M5II came out it did have acceptable AF-C performance for its pricepoint and competition, 2015 was fairly early in the days of the development of usable AF-C in mirrorless cameras.

x_holger

Mu-43 Regular
I hope that Olympus sales will gain again some momentum with the E-M5 Mk III.
Full-Frame mirrorless cameras have attracted so much attention recently with Nikon, Canon (and Panasonic) entering the game.
There is nothing wrong with MFT but (almost) no news is somehow disturbing in the camera world.

FrayAdjacent

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
M@
I hope that Olympus sales will gain again some momentum with the E-M5 Mk III.
Full-Frame mirrorless cameras have attracted so much attention recently with Nikon, Canon (and Panasonic) entering the game.
There is nothing wrong with MFT but (almost) no news is somehow disturbing in the camera world.
I'd love that... if they make the 5 MkIII a really badass camera that solidly competes with others in the same price range, it will be wonderful.

I really want it to be good. I love the platform, and don't want to jump ship. The E-M5 is the size and model I want to stick with.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Heard today that it'll have all the em1ii capabilities in an em5 form and likely be announced early October.

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
The E-M5 is the size and model I want to stick with.
Exactly my thoughts as well. I wouldn't mind it being 100g lighter though but I'm not going to complain. I just hope the weight is closer to E-M5mk1 than mk2.

One might ask why would 100g matter? Well... E.g., I shoot weddings etc. with two cameras. So that 100g suddenly becomes 200g and those events might take 10 hours. You get the picture, eh...? (pun intended) :D

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Exactly my thoughts as well. I wouldn't mind it being 100g lighter though but I'm not going to complain. I just hope the weight is closer to E-M5mk1 than mk2.

One might ask why would 100g matter? Well... E.g., I shoot weddings etc. with two cameras. So that 100g suddenly becomes 200g and those events might take 10 hours. You get the picture, eh...? (pun intended) :D
To paraphrase an old saying, "ounces seem to multiply, the longer you have to carry it."

mawz

Mu-43 Regular

I agree on that. As much as I love my mkII, the fact it's only 30g lighter than my E-M1 continues to boggle my mind. I'd greatly like a lighter E-M5III, even if that means going to a mostly polycarbonate frame. Low weight is one of the major attractions for the m43 system for me.

I'm a hiker and getting weight down is a big deal when you are carrying it for 8+ hours. My core kit is already down to the 9-18, 12-50 and 40-150R (man would I like weather sealed versions of the 9-18 and 40-150R) and the E-M5II and E-M1 bodies, and I drop the E-M1 when weight is critical.

I agree on that. As much as I love my mkII, the fact it's only 30g lighter than my E-M1 continues to boggle my mind. I'd greatly like a lighter E-M5III, even if that means going to a mostly polycarbonate frame. Low weight is one of the major attractions for the m43 system for me.

I'm a hiker and getting weight down is a big deal when you are carrying it for 8+ hours. My core kit is already down to the 9-18, 12-50 and 40-150R (man would I like weather sealed versions of the 9-18 and 40-150R) and the E-M5II and E-M1 bodies, and I drop the E-M1 when weight is critical.
The 14-150ii is nearly as good as the 40-150R and is weather sealed. You could go with the 9-18 and 14-150ii and reduce your weight and complexity.

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
The 14-150ii is nearly as good as the 40-150R and is weather sealed. You could go with the 9-18 and 14-150ii and reduce your weight and complexity.
The challenge with that is to my understanding the 14-150II is not nearly as good for close-ups as the 12-50 in Macro mode (which is in my experience outstanding in this role, IMHO it's at its best in macro mode and weaker when in the normal zoom modes). It certainly doesn't hit the same maximum magnification (0.22x vs 0.36x). This is a feature that I use constantly and is a major reason I can get away with that 3 lens kit.

If I replaced the 12-50 and 40-150R with the 14-150II, I'd need to carry either the 45 or 60 macro, so no complexity advantage. I would gain on the weather sealing if I went with the 60 though.

The challenge with that is to my understanding the 14-150II is not nearly as good for close-ups as the 12-50 in Macro mode (which is in my experience outstanding in this role, IMHO it's at its best in macro mode and weaker when in the normal zoom modes). It certainly doesn't hit the same maximum magnification (0.22x vs 0.36x). This is a feature that I use constantly and is a major reason I can get away with that 3 lens kit.

If I replaced the 12-50 and 40-150R with the 14-150II, I'd need to carry either the 45 or 60 macro, so no complexity advantage. I would gain on the weather sealing if I went with the 60 though.
The MCON works on the 14-150ii. But yes, the 12-50 is good for close-up.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David

Sorry, but this makes me laugh. I shoot events with Dual FF bodies, f/2.8 zooms, and SB910 flashes.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Sorry, but this makes me laugh. I shoot events with Dual FF bodies, f/2.8 zooms, and SB910 flashes.
All depends on your strength and endurance.
I could do it easily when younger, but not any more.
That is the reason I got a 70-200/4 rather than the 2x heavier f/2.8 lens. I gave up lens speed for weight reduction.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
All depends on your strength and endurance.
I could do it easily when younger, but not any more.
That is the reason I got a 70-200/4 rather than the 2x heavier f/2.8 lens. I gave up lens speed for weight reduction.
I'm not younger, in fact I retired from shooting professionally last year. I also had the f/4 and f/2.8 zooms, I tried to use the f/4 set whenever possible, but sometimes it wasn't. It was just "200g", but in fact the difference between the EM5.1 and EM5.2 is only 44g. that's like the difference btween 2 batteries and 4 batteries in a flash.

https://www.getolympus.com/us/en/e-m5-mark-ii.html
https://asia.olympus-imaging.com/product/dslr/em5/spec.html

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
And I have the aftereffects of injuries that prevent me from shooting handheld with heavy setups like those for more than a brief period.

Not everybody can haul that sort of weight and some who can, can't physically use it properly.

I used to shoot medium format handheld, would walk around with a Mamiya 645 Super with winder, FE401 prism, 4-6 backs and 4-5 lenses all day. I can't physically do that anymore due to injuries. I can haul the kit, but I can't wield it anymore due to my shoulder & elbow injuries.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
And I have the aftereffects of injuries that prevent me from shooting handheld with heavy setups like those for more than a brief period.

Not everybody can haul that sort of weight and some who can, can't physically use it properly.

I used to shoot medium format handheld, would walk around with a Mamiya 645 Super with winder, FE401 prism, 4-6 backs and 4-5 lenses all day. I can't physically do that anymore due to injuries. I can haul the kit, but I can't wield it anymore due to my shoulder & elbow injuries.
Very true. I went to rolling bags for everything about 10 years ago and have battled tendonitis for over 30 years. One of the reasons I retired was I wasn't sure my right arm would be ready "the next week".

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom