Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I hope they have lower power consumption, cuz mirrorless battery life stinks in general.
Even more so to the folks coming from a dSLR, where we get battery life in DAYS vs. hours with a mirrorless.
The 4-HOUR continuous-on life on my EM1-mk1 was a SHOCK to me, vs. 2+ DAYS with my D7200.
So you do either or better both; reduce power consumption and/or put in a larger capacity battery.

If someone puts a 12-100/4 on the EM5-mk3, with that battery, it is goina suck the power from the battery.
I only get about 2-1/2 HOURS of continuous-on life with the 12-100/1 on my EM1-mk1.
Oh come on, anyone who doesn't know the difference in EVF v OVF based camera's in terms of battery life should be ashamed and calling it a shock in capitol letters seems to fall into drama queen territory these days.... is boring and repetitious...

The 12-100, no doubt it impacts battery life if IS is engaged and running all the time, personally i have IS set up to only engage when i half press the shutter/focus so see next to no difference.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Oh come on, anyone who doesn't know the difference in EVF v OVF based camera's in terms of battery life should be ashamed and calling it a shock in capitol letters seems to fall into drama queen territory these days.... is boring and repetitious...

The 12-100, no doubt it impacts battery life if IS is engaged and running all the time, personally i have IS set up to only engage when i half press the shutter/focus so see next to no difference.
Well I don't know about you, but I was not expecting a battery run time reduction down to only 4 hours. Yes, I expected a run time reduction, but down to less than 1/6 of the run time of my D7200 was indeed a shock. So it wasn't just 2 spare batteries as I had planned for, but 4 spare batteries + a 2nd charger.

IS on my EM1-mk1 is also set to activate at half press, and so is AF. All I can say is my 12-100 SUCKS power. That run time reduction from 4 hours down to 2-1/2 hours with the 12-100 is repeatable. But I am going to sent a message to Olympus Service to inquire about battery drain of that lens.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Well I don't know about you, but I was not expecting a battery run time reduction down to only 4 hours. Yes, I expected a run time reduction, but down to less than 1/6 of the run time of my D7200 was indeed a shock. So it wasn't just 2 spare batteries as I had planned for, but 4 spare batteries + a 2nd charger.
The CIPA specs constantly quoted by manufacturers do a good job at masking the run time number in hours....... it's still appalling the number of people that don't get or have missed the simple truth that EVF based camera's deal on "on-time" "in use" minutes whereas the OVF cameras are better thought of in total images taken ....
This leads to the massive disconnect of ..... my dslr lasted for days just walking around but my new mirrorless camera only lasts a few hours.....
Use your dlsr in liveview mode and watch it's battery life drain away just as fast.

There is nothing mysterious or bad it just is..... oh btw the EVF is a higher battery drainer than the rear screen, people using only the EVF are actually costing themselves run time.

But I am going to sent a message to Olympus Service to inquire about battery drain of that lens.
i'll be truly interested in the response ..... just not noticed it as an issue with the mk2/1x

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
The CIPA specs constantly quoted by manufacturers do a good job at masking the run time number in hours....... it's still appalling the number of people that don't get or have missed the simple truth that EVF based camera's deal on "on-time" "in use" minutes whereas the OVF cameras are better thought of in total images taken ....
This leads to the massive disconnect of ..... my dslr lasted for days just walking around but my new mirrorless camera only lasts a few hours.....
Use your dlsr in liveview mode and watch it's battery life drain away just as fast.

There is nothing mysterious or bad it just is..... oh btw the EVF is a higher battery drainer than the rear screen, people using only the EVF are actually costing themselves run time.
And note that CIPA requires that if your camera has a flash that every other shot uses the flash. So cameras that have a flash built-in tend to have worse numbers on paper than cameras where a flash was not part of the package. I don't know whether Olympus includes the FL-LM1/2/3 usage with the E-m5 and E-m1 models, since that flash is included in the initial package, but since it is removable, is not technically part of the camera.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
However you analyse it, mirrorless cameras eat batteries. It's only with the E-M1ii that I feel I've at last got an Olympus camera that doesn't constantly worry me about imminent battery death. Whatever battery Olympus use in the E-M5iii, the key point is longevity (i.e. run-time). If it's worse than the E-M5ii then that's a really bad message.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I don’t know why they don’t ship them with two batteries.
Seems like a no brainer, and would win some points with the punters.

That can't be right. It would be madness to go back in battery life. I really can't believe Oly have done this, unless they've somehow significantly reduced power drain at the same time.
I have the E-M10 II, the Pen F, and the E-M1 II....all different batteries.
The battery in the E-M10 II last the longest, followed by the E-M1 II and the Pen F is the worst. I wish my Pen F had the battery from the E-M10 II, so if the new E-M5 III, has that battery....Good!

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
The battery in the E-M10 II last the longest, followed by the E-M1 II and the Pen F is the worst. I wish my Pen F had the battery from the E-M10 II, so if the new E-M5 III, has that battery....Good!
It isn't just the battery, but how much power the camera uses.
The Pen-F could be using more power than the EM10-mk2, causing the shorter battery life.
Or, it could be how you use both cameras. If you shoot continuously on, like when I shoot sports, the battery will last a shorter time than if you turn the camera off a lot. I don't use my EM10 to shoot sports, so battery life is MUCH longer than my EM1-mk1.

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
Have to be VERY casual not to need a 2nd battery...
Never heard of anyone getting by with only one battery, for any camera...
My point being, that when handing over a couple a grand for a camera body, then having to dish out more spondoolies (to the tune of $135!!!) for another battery is extremely rude of Olympus. And I’m damn sure, Olympus pays tuppence for the same battery...
It’s just a tiny little battery....

It isn't just the battery, but how much power the camera uses.
The Pen-F could be using more power than the EM10-mk2, causing the shorter battery life.
Or, it could be how you use both cameras. If you shoot continuously on, like when I shoot sports, the battery will last a shorter time than if you turn the camera off a lot. I don't use my EM10 to shoot sports, so battery life is MUCH longer than my EM1-mk1.
All very true, my usage is not the same for the E-M10 as for the E-M1 II. But, my usage is very similar between the E-M10 II and the Pen F and I still make sure I have 2 spare batteries on board for the Pen F and really feel more than safe with only 1 spare for the E-M10 II.....Nothing scientific, just my gut telling me what to pack.

Also, I would not anticipate shooting sports with whatever this new 5 series camera turns out to be, and I suspect Olympus is not targeting that market segment with this model anyway, they already have 2 bodies for that. I suspect this model will be targeted, at least in part, at the world travelers that want to ditch their Canon or Nikon luggage busters with a more compact E-M1 II or X alternative.

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
All very true, my usage is not the same for the E-M10 as for the E-M1 II. But, my usage is very similar between the E-M10 II and the Pen F and I still make sure I have 2 spare batteries on board for the Pen F and really feel more than safe with only 1 spare for the E-M10 II.....Nothing scientific, just my gut telling me what to pack.

Also, I would not anticipate shooting sports with whatever this new 5 series camera turns out to be, and I suspect Olympus is not targeting that market segment with this model anyway, they already have 2 bodies for that. I suspect this model will be targeted, at least in part, at the world travelers that want to ditch their Canon or Nikon luggage busters with a more compact E-M1 II or X alternative.
A parent with a child playing middle/high school sports would be a likely owner of an EM10 or EM5.

I've seen enough pro level cameras and lenses at high school games, that it no longer surprises me.

BTW, the EM1X is significantly heavier than my Nikon D7200. 🙁

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular
This mirrors my experience with the E-M10 II and Pen-F. And I use those cameras for the exact same kind of shooting and more or less in the same way.

Eirik

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Eirik
I don't see any sense in switching to the smaller battery, unless they are planning to make the camera body significantly smaller than both of the previous E-M5s.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Have to be VERY casual not to need a 2nd battery...
Never heard of anyone getting by with only one battery, for any camera...
Seriously!!!!!!
A number of friends who are keen photographers have EM10's and EM5's and none of them have spare batteries and they all go out and take photo's on day trips and very rarely run into any battery issues and never enough to drive them to buy a spare.
The average owner of most cameras doesn't need or want a spare battery, i don't have a spare for my TG5 or PM2.
a friend doing there own product photography only just bought a spare for their em1mk2 and only because they currently have a lot of products to do.....

My point being, that when handing over a couple a grand for a camera body, then having to dish out more spondoolies (to the tune of $135!!!) for another battery is extremely rude of Olympus. And I’m damn sure, Olympus pays tuppence for the same battery...
It’s just a tiny little battery....
Again the average camera buyer doesn't give a rats about the spare..... it would sit in the box/shelf and go flat. making it essentially useless as these people wouldn't manage battery rotation and i'd bet good money that even the people with spare batteries fail to rotate the batteries to ensure the best battery life.

I would agree that OEM pricing is high, not unique to Oly though........

fransglans

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
gus
I will read everything about this 5.3 in the year of 2021, when I can afford it. My 5.2 still amaze me every time I pick it up!

Bushboy

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Charlie
I would take that bet, and your money.... haha.
I thought 2 batteries in the box be a great idea. Not all of my ideas are great though eh Phil.. :)

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
I will read everything about this 5.3 in the year of 2021, when I can afford it. My 5.2 still amaze me every time I pick it up!
It still amaze me and still capable in compare with other olympus newest camera. Honestly speaking, sensor performance is not so different except if you want to go above ISO 3200.
Plus most of Olympus users will buy the F1.8 primes or at least the F2.8 Sigma Art in which in real life, the range high ISO that will use is about 1600-3200.

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
I would take that bet, and your money.... haha.
I thought 2 batteries in the box be a great idea. Not all of my ideas are great though eh Phil.. :)
Well if you rotate your spares correctly your one of the few i'd say :) ..... intense and technically savvy forum members may be exempted from this :)
probably better than most of my crack brain ideas ..... two batteries sounds great till you think about how 80% of the users would be wasting it.....

I'd like to see the OEM boys bring the OEM batteries down closer in price to the better 3rd party items and even sell them in pairs at a discount.

Oh and for the EM1X i wish Olympus would release a single cartridge battery that slotted into the compartment used by the tray.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom