Alert : EM5 Mk3 Release this year - it’s (well nearly) official

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)

Michael Meissner

Mu-43 Veteran
Though there has been some speculation about an Olympus event Precision Cameras (in Austin, Texas) is having in August. I assumed it was mainly a store event with Olympus visionaries that several of the Olympus flagship stores has from time to time, but who knows.

However, an event in Austin Texas in August? At least for the USA market, July and August are not typical months to announce new gear. June yes, September yes, but typically not the summer months. And August in Texas is not the best time of year. Let me guess, the next sales event will be in Minnesota in February?

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
Imo, the heritage of the 5 line warrants it getting top of the line tech, even if it jumps the em1 series in some ways. So if that means it gets a better sensor than the 1x, so be it. It should be the flagship along side the EM1's, not a lesser line.

Robstar1963

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Robert (Rob)
The EM5 Mk3 is going to be the ‘bread and butter’ and significant with regards to the ongoing sales success of Olympus
I’m sure they attach appropriate significance to the model and that it will be a superb camera
I just hope that they don’t price themselves out of what could be a huge market for the model - with the competition they currently have they have to provide superb value for money as well as providing suitable features and hardware
I get the felling from elsewhere that many ex DSLR users are moving to Fuji at the moment and Olympus could take a slice of that market back if they get this one right imo

Hypilein

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just want to know what's the smallest camera they can squeeze hand held high rez into. If it has that and global shutter, it would make me switch to Olympus. Otherwise I'll just wait until we finally get it (and if it's 5 more years so be it). Realistically though, if we get one of the two we are lucky.

whumber

Mu-43 Veteran
Here's my price prediction

$1999 US with 40Mp/8k capable sensor and a lot of new tech

$1799 US with 24/28MP sensor and some new tech.
Good ideas, but I think something like $1599 with 20MP sensor and old tech is more likely given recent offerings.

mumu

Mu-43 Veteran
If we're really lucky, it might do 4K @ 60fps although I wouldn't be surprised with they stuck with 30fps. I doubt the sensor's image quality would be any better than the EM1.2 or EM1x. I can see them giving it some 4K photo mode tricks. I'm skeptical that it'll have PDAF and if it does, I doubt it'll be as good as the EM1.2.
I think the focus (heh heh) will be on features such as an improved hi-res mode and other in-camera processing features (Bluetooth LE to get GPS data from phone, better wireless file xfer, simulated ND filter like EM1x, pseudo star tracking feature like Pentax via the sensor shift, etc). Also, perhaps 120fps 1080 and improved codec.
Price USD$200 higher than EM5.2's body-only debut. Those are my predictions. (I'll delete this if I'm wrong. ) ;-)

MRM

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matt
If we're really lucky, it might do 4K @ 60fps although I wouldn't be surprised with they stuck with 30fps. I doubt the sensor's image quality would be any better than the EM1.2 or EM1x. I can see them giving it some 4K photo mode tricks. I'm skeptical that it'll have PDAF and if it does, I doubt it'll be as good as the EM1.2.
I think the focus (heh heh) will be on features such as an improved hi-res mode and other in-camera processing features (Bluetooth LE to get GPS data from phone, better wireless file xfer, simulated ND filter like EM1x, pseudo star tracking feature like Pentax via the sensor shift, etc). Also, perhaps 120fps 1080 and improved codec.
Price USD$200 higher than EM5.2's body-only debut. Those are my predictions. (I'll delete this if I'm wrong. ) ;-)
The star tracking feature would be enough for me to get it. I doubt it however. I was recently telling a rep how awesome this feature would be hoping he would pass it onto Olympus that they should look into it. It’s hard to bring my star tracker on a backpacking trip with me and would love to save some weight.

robcee

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob Campbell
my em5iii bingo card has the same 20mp sensor as the EM1mkii and the 1x. Some of the color and film modes of the Pen-f and 4k30p video.

I think with the improved autofocus and processing from the 1x it'll be a significant upgrade to the existing machine.

rezatravilla

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Reza Travilla
.......i am hoping of all that new features, please still use the legendary battery BLN-01. Because i have 3 of them

AussiePhil

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Phil
Where are these sensors coming from???
Andrew ....
honestly out of my proverbial .... they are dreaming type suggestions based on Oly using the EM5 as a tech debut platform for a future em1.3
I do think they might take an intermediate step to 6k video and the required sensor res to enable that IF the GH6 debuts 8k video. this would make it easy to set a 1999 or 2199 to allow discounting to 1999

All my price points and feature thoughts are purely on where Oly might position a em1.3 I'm convinced this will be a big jump in sensor res and allow Oly to price it (with grip) close to the 1X. This allows them to keep the 1.2 in the market place and could even set up for a short period of time a 5 tier camera structure based on effectively two models.
In order of price.... EM1X - EM1.3 - EM5.3 - EM1.2 - EM5.2
Sports body - high end landscape/portrait - high end landscape/portrait in small body - existing niches for next 2
Seem familiar to other companies?

pake

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Teemu
I’m sure they attach appropriate significance to the model and that it will be a superb camera
Wishful thinking I'm afraid. I'd be happy to be proven wrong though. Old sensor, old EVF, horrible C-AF etc.

I doubt the sensor's image quality would be any better than the EM1.2 or EM1x.
I would be totally fine with the IQ of E-M1II. In fact I couldn't be happier if they offered us an E-M1II in an E-M5 form.

Where are these sensors coming from???
It wouldn't be the first time E-M5 used a sensor that wasn't known before the launch. Highly unlikely though given Olympus' track record of recycling old tech.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
.......i am hoping of all that new features, please still use the legendary battery BLN-01. Because i have 3 of them

At first I thought along these lines as I have four batteries. But if that makes USB charging impossible then I'd cop a new battery to allow charging on the go.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom