Akron Celebrates LeBron James

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Scotsman, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    It's been 52 yrs since Cleveland has won a major sports title and it's been more than 2 yrs that I've been on this forum. I figure it's about time to post my 1st thread. Now 2 streaks are broken.

Most of you in N. America are probably aware of the huge Cavaliers victory parade(1.3 million people) that took place in Cleveland last Wednesday. Akron(LeBron James hometown about 45 minutes from Cleveland) held a celebration the following day. I attended both, but found the Akron event more fun for taking pictures....especially of people. Having only about 30,000 in attendance at the Akron event probably helped. And frankly, I was doing more celebrating than picture taking in Cleveland.

Everything was taken with my E-M10 and either the 12-40 f2.8, or the 75 f1.8.

This is Lock 3: capacity(about 7,000) was reached and over flow was sent to Canal Park(Akron's AA baseball stadium about 2 blocks away) to watch the ceremony on video screens.
    image.

Happy fans taking a selfie
    image.

Recording the proceedings
    image.

image.

The man's face is a little soft, but I love the expression of joy. Surely the wafer thin DOF of M43 is to blame.
    image.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
  2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The last 14 syotss don't appear for me, only icons of "no camera"

3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I still remember when all those Cleveland "fans" were burning Lebron jerseys, slandering him, etc. when he left to go to Miami. It's pretty hilarious to see them all singing his praises now...

4. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Steve, I don't know why you aren't seeing all the photos. So far, you seem to be the only one affected. Hopefully, if anyone else is having the same problem, they'll let me know and I'll repost, or ask for help.

Ian, it really is not the fact LeBron left for Miami.....it's totally the way in which he did it. To be kind, it was classless. Even then, most Akronites stood by him. I also believe he's matured a lot since then. And let's not forget, people are willing to forgive....especially if it means a chance at a championship. :love:

So, I do understand how you might think the change in attitude "hilarious", but I assure you, given identical circumstances, every other community would react the same way.

I've always had some mixed feelings about LeBron, but on balance, and considering his background, you can't help but admire him. The things he does for his hometown are pretty amazing. For instance, any child who graduates from Akron Public Schools, is able to earn full tuition and fees to The University of Akron through the LeBron James Family Foundation. There are requirements, of course, but they are not that stringent and almost any dedicated student can attain them. This is just one of the many, many things he does to give back to his community. I know of no other athlete, or celebrity, so committed to his/her hometown and its children.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I see no shots beginning with "the man's face is a little soft.." :confused:

6. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Thanks, Jim. I won't be able to get to it immediately, but I'll see what I can do. It figures, my first thread and I screw it up!

7. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Reposting because some photos were not visible.

Getting a better view
    image.

image.

T-shirts, lots of t-shirts
    image.

Irving fan
    image.

On the phone.....this could be a separate thread
    image.

8. Scotsman

Dec 13, 2013
    États-Unis
    Dave
    Additional photos. Hopefully, they are visible.

image.

image.

Girls having fun
    image.

On the phone and eating....a common theme
    image.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
    • Like Like x 1