Aki-Asahi skins for E-M5 pics...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by thearne3, May 10, 2012.

1. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    OMG yes! now what color do i want?!

--

ok
    brown croc is the COLOR i want, but i wish it were in the standard silvers texture
    flat camels nice too.. but a tad light
    i wonder if i can coffee ground it darker??? anyone have any clue there?
    the cherry wood is also nice, and i know thats gotta be pretty easy to darken up.. plus its WOOD!

3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I may just have to get the wood but once the original cover is taken off the weather resistance decreases. No worries though I don't shoot in the rain.

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Brown croc on my black OM-D might be my choice! :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Yeah the cherry looks nice (IMHO it would look even better with the black body), but I wonder if it would be slippery.

I think if I were an OM-D owner (which I am not), I'd go with the yellow lizard on a black body. It would look similar to the yellow Pentax K-01 (which I happen to love the look of).

6. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    I've heard that said before, but I'm skeptical: Why would that be? The body is magnesium with rubber seals - how would they be compromised?

7. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Too bad they don't have pics showing what it would look like on the black bodies.

• Like Like x 1
  8. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I remember seeing the bare metal chasis and it had some holes under the rubber cover. I can't find the photo so I might be mistaken though.

9. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    I'm really digging the black croc skin on the silver body.
    Do you just put it on top and what happens when you peel it off?

10. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    you can see what could be (i watched it tiny) holes in the install video, if you scroll down more on the blog page

however, with the glue on it, i think itd be just as covered as it was with the oly glue. does oly have magic glue made of duck feathers? ;) hehehe

so id think its just the same
    it was never designed to be submerged, more splash n splatter n rain proofed. it would seem that it still would be

any waterproofing engineers on here???

11. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I kinda like the Yellow Lizard Emboss :redface:

• Like Like x 2
  12. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/93416977@N00/7172490878/" title="YASHICA GT RANGEFINDER by spinyman, on Flickr"> 7172490878_574c9f77e6_b. "1024" height="683" alt="YASHICA GT RANGEFINDER"></a>
    I want to go with the second black leather.It looks just like the texture on my good looking old Yashica GT.I'm not wild about the very flat texture on my black body.The new texture will give it a more retro look so I'll have the best of both worlds.WOW! This is more fun than a new suit.

13. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Ditto ! :thumbup:

I think I've been watching too many Pentax K-01 videos. That yellow is really starting to grow on me.

14. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I'm really digging the look of some of these skins. They really give the camera a great look.
    One thing I don't understand... Do you have to remove the factory cover first or is the skin applied over the factory skin? I'd be really nervous about having to remove the factory cover first.

15. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Unfortunately you gotta remove it. Generally not great for resale value so only recommended if she's a keeper :smile:.

16. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Only thing about the light colors is that I can see them getting dirty easily...

17. rajeshr

rajeshr Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2011
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    You have to remove the original cover first. Here's a video of how to apply the skins.

The Skin Flick :biggrin:

18. dtchan

dtchan Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 24, 2010
    Doh..... Thought you could just stick it on.

19. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    That's a nontrivial install to do right. If the brass pieces aren't formed just right and very smoothly, all sorts of lumps and creases will show through the covering. If the camera has to be repaired and the covers removed, it will be harder to do and the bass pieces will get mangled. It may also void the warranty and/or Olympus may not want to work on it.

20. thearne3

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Definitely more cumbersome than for cams that come without a skin! For $20 or so the downside is just putting the original skins back on. No biggie...

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App