1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

air & water

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by caimi, Apr 24, 2013.

1. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Caimi caimiphotography.com
    I previously posted this in b&w with less than an enthusiastic response. It does work better in color I think.

airandwater.

2. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    While I think this is nicely done and achieves your purpose (is your name Eadweard Muybridge?), I think some changes would increase its impact.

I hold a probably minority view that the actual shape of the image sometimes contribute to its impact and that changing the shape and the relative luminosity of the horse&rider as compared to the background would increase the impact of this image enormously.

Lew

3. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Thanks, Lew. I understand the luminosity change you recommend. But changing the shape relative to the backround? Do you mean limit the amount of backround in this image?

-Ralph Muybridge

4. the_traveler

the_traveler Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 12, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    Lew Lorton
    I would try cropping this in a 16:9 format to give a more dynamic impression by limiting the background and making the horse/rider more important.

I have to admit, I tried it and wasn't impressed by my advice but............

5. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I'll give it a shot.

6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I like the image, but I agree with Lew here on both counts. Haven't see the black and white version but I can image why it didn't go over well - the image more or less has the same tonal range throughout. Once you play with the luminosity perhaps try converting again to black and white to see what the effect is.

7. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    I think it's easier to make the background lighter to generate subject separation.
    I took the liberty to make some changes and repost.
    You did not explicitly state that editing is OK, so please let me know if you object and I will remove the image...
    Rudy
    I just increased luminance on the green / yellow and desaturated them at the same time plus I added a cheesy border :rolleyes:

8. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    Mike
    I have to agree that cropping the top helps strengthen the image, but I'd avoid cropping the bottom.
    The background is rather busy, which is helped by the selective lightening, but could also be simplified with less DOF (selective bluring?). The horse itself has been captured nicely and with a simpler background could work very well.

9. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    Rudy,
    Nice work on the horse and rider. Too much desaturation on the background in my opinion.
    caimi

10. Rudy

Rudy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Yes, it's way over the top. I only spent a minute or so on it to show where I would be going with this.
    I also think that blurring the background would likely be preferable, but it's a bit more work...
    Rudy

11. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Caimi -I think Lew and others are right about cropping. Essentially the subject is overwhelmed and lost as only a portion of the image. I seldom crop similar to the feel of a widescreen standard 2.39:1, but I want to. I love the tight crops especially of people where only portion of their heads fill the screen. Your shot is not as conducive to it but here is my quick attempt with a tight crop and adding to the image length. To extend the length I mirrored the left edge by copying the first inch of your photo, rotated it horizontally and pasted in in place in a new document. I'm not advocating the scary face on the left it created, but at times that might have its place too. I use this technique often when the subject requires more background or after rotating an image into square to replace the void. The later can become a bit more complicated, so the mirror the image should be added to the image before rotation and crop.

What do you think?

-Chrome

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/95688968@N02/8732946263/" title="Rework of Caimi's by FotoCrit, on Flickr">"500" height="204" alt="Rework of Caimi's"></a>

12. caimi

caimi Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 13, 2012
    middle US
    I like this tight crop,Dome. It preserves the feel of riding into the frame but gets rid of a lot of the busy background. Thanks.