Air A01 - game changer or gimmick?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by esnift, Jun 30, 2015.

1. esnift

esnift Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 17, 2013
    Boston, MA
    Dan
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  2. thisisanton

thisisanton Mu-43 Regular

Apr 24, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I just got this in an e-mail. Not sure how I feel about it...:confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Joon525

Joon525 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 24, 2012
    NJ
    I think it's cool.
    I'm not in the market for this right now but I'd consider it at another time.
    It wouldn't be a replacement for my E-M5 or any other more serious camera though.

4. JasonCdn

JasonCdn Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    British Columbia
    Jason
    Just got his e-mail as well. I didn't see anything about stabilization so it can't replace a camera for me, love that Oly IBIS...

*Edit* I see it uses digital IS for movie recording.

5. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    I think it can be fun to use, but without proper IBIS and a price tag of 399 here in canada vs 299 in us, noway.

6. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Just got the email as well and I am actually planning to get one because of its compactness and complements well with my E-P5!! I never found a reason to like the GM5 nor GM1. But this one; YES! Finally, a compact travel camera that works with my iPhone and not a DXO One.

1, NO IBIS, but apparently will work with Panasonic OIS. Panasonic 12-32 OIS pancake will be perfect on the AIR. Lumix 14 will also be perfect as well as the 9mm Fisheye body cap.
    2, Takes MicroSD card so you can take photos and download them when needed.
    3, Ideal street photography camera because you can point it anywhere and not be noticed.
    4, Full access to IOS and Android apps
    5, Has Olympus filters like its full brothers as well as other features.
    6, Can make movies independent of phone.

Price is ok as well, but I think will drop. It'll be interesting to see how this works against DXO One.

• Like Like x 1
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree that it could be fun, but a bit pricey for $300. If it crashed a bit I could see spending half that amount on it.

9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As to the question posed in the thread title, I would go with "a bit of each". It's an interesting experiment, but I'm not sure it's yet ready for primetime. I'm looking forward to what model A-02 looks like. That said, it seems like a positive step for the product that it passed out of its Japan-only "beta" test phase.

10. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I don't think this Air is a game changer. Olympus is simply positioning themselves into this market because DXO has the One and Sony has the QX and is serving Olympus/Panasonic users who want something like this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Wow, this seems like a really great way to turn your pancake lenses and cell phone into a big camera with horrid ergonomics.

Capture.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I think with its ability to use m4/3 lenses it could potentially be fun to use. $300 is kind of steep but I may be interested if the price drops.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Im not convinced its so compact. A EPL1 or GM1 seems more compact to me then this. And I don't have to connect via wifi every time I want to use it. If it drops in price tho I will probably be tempted to try it.

14. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I think my kids would love it, attach it to a selfie stick and never look back. Filming a Disney parade was never easier.

I could see myself putting it on a tripod pointed at a favorite branch and waiting for a bird to rest there from inside my kitchen. Can do that now, but I don't like the idea of leaving an expensive camera outside unattended.

Who knows. They need to get it featured on Good Morning America, or Nickolodean or something.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think you don't have to connect to WIFI to use it as it has its own shutter release.

• Like Like x 1
  16. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    And that is where it is a price sticking point. $300 for this weird attachment or buy a used E-P5 or E-M10 for about the same and get wi-fi functionality + a whole lot more.

17. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Only used are about the same. Valid option, but you'd have to compare used to used, new to new to be fair. New em10 is over 2x and it's very possible that kids would prefer this to a stuffy old camera like Dad's. Who knows. The market will decide.

18. DigitalD

DigitalD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2014
    Miami
    David
    Yes but then you can't compose your shot...

19. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    I think it sort of initiates a low level power Bluetooth connection between the 2 and as you want to shoot (half release), it establishes the connection and you can see it on the phone screen.

20. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    1) The Sony version of this is really buggy. Would drop off wifi connections all the time.

2) This is not necessarily for the "photographer" of the family, but a way for Sony, Olympus, DXO to try and bridge the gap bewteen photographer and phone camera user.
    While I am not really a fan of the cell phone interface, there are millions of cell phone camera users out there that would love a bump up in quality on their video/stills, but love the interfaces they have grown up with. The Olympus is a good first attempt for them.

My fear, as is with all of Olympus right now is marketing and exposure. I've been harping on and to Olympus for a while now about their lack of market presence in non-pro photo markets. Whenever I see an Olympus add, it is in a photographer-centric publication. I never see them anywhere else. This is a shame as they have a great product if it were marketed properly.

As it is now, most people have heard of Olympus and know that they make or at least used to make cameras. They don't really know what they offer, if anything right now.

In order for it to work, they will need to:

a) make the setup and use very quick and robust
    b) make the interface very easy for the beginners, but also include a good advanced mode for users to grow into with P/A/S/M modes
    c) Allow sharing to other apps for quick post processing and sharing to social media
    d) get it into the hands of the youngsters and the tech bloggers that cater to the younger crowds
    e) show good examples of ways to use it that make sense to the target demographic.

• Like Like x 1