1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Agfa Ambi Sillette ?'s

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by TNcasual, Dec 15, 2014.

1. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I am a recent owner (early Xmas present) of an E-M10. I am excited to learn the camera. And I do have a great deal to learn!!

I also have a small collection of old manual lenses that I have inherited from friends and family. Eventually I want to be able to use them adapted to the E-M10.

One of the things I inherited is an Agfa Ambi Sillette from my father. It looks like this:

agfamb36.

I have the 50 2.8 and 90 4, that I assume my father purchased with the camera.

agfamb29.

Here are a couple of images that I think he took with the camera around 1960:
    12343984933_890f8871a4_c. 1518987_10203074627252982_337267332_o

12678443843_1817bf3ae5_c. 1796716_10203110169621519_742428234_o

Out of nostalgia's sake, I would like to eventually try these lenses on the E-M10. I realize the IQ and handling may not be wonderful. I just think it would be awesome to use my dad's old gear.

From what I have found that might be a little difficult. I have found a few links for adapting the lenses for other systems - 3D printed for Leica, rigged for NEX, something call the VNEX for NEX

What does anyone think might be my best solution? I was thinking maybe the 3D printed Leica M > M to m4/3 might be the way. Does stacking adapters really work? If I had the know-how I would think a 3D printed Agfa to m4/3 adapter might work.

Thanks for any help. If I do one day get it working, I will be sure to post some photos.

2. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I had one of them it was a fantastic camera with one if not the best mount I have seen if I recall just place the lens and turn did not matter where. Ironically they can be bought of bargain prices which given the quality of the lenses or atlas the 50 I had was in if not equal to Leica quality, I do hope you will slap a couple of rolls through her. I wonder about an adaptor though does anyone make them? you may be surprised by the IQ.

3. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm excited now. My optics guy just called and said that he has finished cleaning up the lenses. He mentioned that they do have some scratches, but should be usable. He was able to clean up the focusing and aperture movement and he said they feel very smooth now.

Next up is verifying the registration distance and rigging/making an adapter.

4. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I was looking at these a while ago. The registration distance is apparently 43.5mm. I read about someone who took the shorter Konica adapter, made up the difference with shims and then glued the lot, lens included, together. Of course this won't work if you've got two lenses.

As you mentioned before there is a CAD file for an Ambi Silette to Leica M adapter. http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:474439

I've had to stack adapters to use my Paxette lenses. I was surprised to find that someone was already making Paxette to L39 adapters. This, combined with my L39 to M4/3 adapter, works just as well any of my single adapters.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
  5. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thanks.

I will have to do more research on making the adapter. Another idea I had was to use the m42 adapter I have that has the insert for the screw mount and just replace the insert with thr Ambi silette mount.

6. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    The M42 adapter will be longer than the Ambi Silette register distance. Might be easier to find something nearer. Minolta SR is 43.5mm I think.

7. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    What about adapting one of the L39 mounts or an M mount ? they have a good short reg distance so should be able to handle it and if you can get a 3d print thing done for it that would be quite neat.

8. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I will have to look into the smaller adapters. If the Minolta one is 43.5 it may work the best.

9. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, a question. How would I figure registration distance on an adapter? Is the distance from the sensor to the mount known? Can I just assume the Minolta adapter, if the registration distance is 43.5, would be the correct overall distance.

Thanks for the help. My next venture is find CAD software or someone to help with the design.

10. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Well, the Micro 4/3 registration distance is 19.25mm, so to get to 43.5mm your adapter needs make up the difference with a depth/thickness of 24.25mm. Checking on the Minolta, the register distance is actually 43.76mm, but this is the nearest there is to 43.5mm required for the Ambi Sillette. On my MD:M4/3 adapter, the female part of the MD bayonet fitting is attached by three small screws and stands about 2mm proud of the black part of the adapter. I suppose you could remove this and somehow fit the female bayonet fitting from the Sillette, making sure the total depth of the adapter comes to 24.25mm. There seems to be enough meat to the black part that you could sand or machine it down a bit if necessary.

MD adapter.

11. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    When measuring the depth on the adapter, where do I measure to? Is it the flat surface of the mount?

12. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Yes, I measured the MD to M4/3 adapter (just quickly with a ruler) between the flat mounting faces. It was about 24.5mm as expected. You'll need a more accurate way of measuring than a ruler though! I have some digital calipers somewhere, but I'm sure the battery's gone.

13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Okay, so maybe this 3D modeling thing won't be as hard as I thought. With just a little bit of time and a freeware 3D modeling application I have a working design.

I took two designs on Thingiverse and mashed them together using Tinkercad. Isn't the future amazing!

I need help verifying one thing. On the mft side, Should I measure from the end of the female mount or from the plane where the mount extends from?

From the yellow circle or the red one in this image:

16724931782_fd3a6f16a1_b. adapt3

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  14. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    That's impressive!

Measure from the red one - the mating face rather than the bayonet.

15. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Thank you very much for your help.

Here is the tentative finished adapter. It would be nice to remove that little lip in the middle. It's a leftover from fitting together the two separate adapters.

[​IMG]

Now to get one printed and see where I need to make adjustments.

16. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    I'm pretty sure any solution I'd managed to cobble together wouldn't have looked half as impressive, if it had got off the drawing board at all!

I'm looking forward to seeing some shots with those lenses. I may have to look for some myself now!

17. EdH

EdH Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 14, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Ed
    Was just thinking it would be to get printed in silver to match the lenses, but that would cause reflected light inside it. Might be easier to do it in black and paint it silver on the outside. My Paxette adapter is just a big black lump between the silver lens and the camera.

18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Maybe I'm a little too excited, but I already ordered a print. It is in black. I figured that would be the best. I expect it won't be perfect, but it's worth a try to use something my dad purchased and used around 1960. He died last year.

If it does work well enough, I will probably look to find the 35 f/4 and the 90 f/4 to go along with 50 f/2.8 and 130 f/4 I have.

19. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I got notification from Shapeways that my model passed their proofing process. They are going ahead with the print!

• Like Like x 1
  20. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    Update: It has shipped! Maybe it will be here for the weekend.

• Like Like x 2