Age old question..How do you clean your Lenes ?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by harryzgnilek, Jul 25, 2013.

1. harryzgnilek

harryzgnilek Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2013
    Hi all
    I'm sure this has been discussed in the past.
    How do you clean your lenses?
    Liquid/lens tissue
    Microfiber( any?)
    Windex (kidding)

2. pcnyc

pcnyc Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    Rocket blower 95% of the time. If that doesn't work, then I'll use one of the many lens cleaning clothes, usually the ones that came with my prescription glasses. I don't think I ever used any liquids for the lenses.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Here's a video that gives a pretty thorough run-down of the approach that I've adopted:

[ame=]Proper Camera Lens Cleaning Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lenspen. Don't need anything else.
  5. ThomD

ThomD Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2013
    SF Bay Area
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Blow on it, if that doesn't shift it then I use the <s>corner of my shirt</s> *cough* lenspen.
  7. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Same here... sometimes a towel too :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mu-43 mobile app
  8. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    LensClens and disposable lens tissues. Usually only need one drop. And I clean my lenses only when dirty, which is not that often.

9. qpalzm

qpalzm New to Mu-43

Jun 24, 2013
    Lens pen is all you need
  10. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    All the way through my Pro career and even now, I use a chamois leather to protect & clean my lenses both rear & front elements (as well as camera screens/viewfinders).

This has always worked well for me and providing you keep it clean it will not scratch or mark the elements, a quick breath on the lens to put some mist/moisture then a polish with the chamois removes all marks, dust etc.

When the cloth gets well used/dirty, just wash it gently in warm water, rinse well and air dry.........good to go again and cheap to buy!

Many of the PJ's I worked with used chamois for cleaning and also protecting lenses in transit.
  11. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA

Although once I swear someone cleaned their nose with my lens while it was left unattended at a party. I had to use ethanol and Kimwipes for that
  12. Petrochemist

Petrochemist Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 21, 2013
    N Essex, UK
    The above (apart from the dishwasher) sound reasonable to me, though I've had one that needed somewhat more vigerous cleaning.

I brought it cheap second hand due to internal fungus - but a little dismantling followed by vinegar & iso propanol on cotton buds/paper towel shifted that. Wouldn't want to try that on a zoom or AF lens!
  13. Hagane

Hagane Mu-43 Regular

May 31, 2013
    Limburg, Netherlands
    Sounds somewhat painful to me...

microfiber cloth (sometimes supported by some breathing to add moisture).
  14. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I let my dog lick the elements and then I wipe them on my shirt. OK, I'm kidding about the dog part.
  15. OhWellOK

OhWellOK Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Rocket blower + Lenspen. If lens/filter is really dirty then a moistened Zeiss Lens Wipe followed by a microfiber lens cloth
  16. Mix

Mix Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2013
    Rocket blower and lenspen. For fingerprints, grease and smudge marks on the lens, I use Zeiss lens cleaner and then lens tissue.
  17. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    That synthetic brush likely has nylon bristles. Nylon, being polymer, is insulative; meaning that as the bristles rub against one another, they generate DC voltage up to 10K volts. This phenomenon is called triboelectrification. This can damage sensitive electronic circuitry.

When the charged bristles rub against the glass (also insulative) element of a camera lens, further triboelectrification occurs. The voltage that just sits there on the bristles and on the glass is called static electricity. When a conductor such as the anything metallic on the camera lens housing touches or even comes near the bristles, a discharge from the bristles to the conductor occurs. This is called Electrostatic Discharge (ESD). Note: the voltage ON the glass can also discharge to anything metallic connected TO or NEAR it such as the sensitive electrical circuits inside your modern camera lens.

For this reason, I do not use lens brushes that have polymer bristles. I use a makeup brush that contains soft, low voltage-charging natural bristles to clean my camera lenses and my cameras.

One may take exception to some manual lenses such as the Voigtlanders that are devoid of electronic circuitry. Polymer brushes will not harm them with static electricity; however, the natural tendency is to attach the lens to the camera after cleaning it. The risk of damaging the camera's electronic circuitry is then elevated because voltage remains on the glass ready to discharge TO something .

Someone will likely post that they have never had a problem with polymer brushes used to clean camera lens. ESD can impart a condition called latent damage: a condition in which the electronic circuitry is not completely rendered inoperative but only partially so that the functionality remains intact but then the malfunction manifests later.

I use the rocket blower to remove particulates, then a natural bristle brush to dislodge larger particles then follow-up with the rocket blower.

I avoid using chamois, microfiber cloths, and the lens pen. Each of these can harbor particulates that can scratch the lens.

I use disposable Kimwipes so that the particulates are discarded with the wipes. I use low-psi air to blow-off the particulates from the brush.
  18. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
  19. Lawrence A.

Lawrence A. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 14, 2012
    New Mexico
    Sandpaper and a garden house!:eek:
  20. rich9cinti

rich9cinti Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 23, 2013
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Spit and a rag. :tongue:

Rocket blower, lens cloth and a drop of lens cleaner if needed.