Aftershot Pro vs Picasa

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by mnr3, Oct 5, 2013.

1. mnr3

mnr3 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 3, 2011
    I've been playing with Picasa mostly for processing before investing in a full-fledged commercial app., but with the advent of great/free pricing on ASP, I went ahead and downloaded it. My simple question, before I get started in transferring files and learning a new interface, is whether it is even worth the time to learn ASP since some folks are declaring it dead while Picasa obviously will remain in Google's ecosystem for a while yet. Any thoughts?
  2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    ASP is a completely different animal to Picassa. A better comparison would be to Lightroom. Last time I looked at the Corel forums there was some glimmer of hope that ASP would continue (new product manager appointed, a long-overdue release with new camera support, talk of a new version etc). Personally, I like ASP and used it for years when it was Bibble 4 and then Bibble 5.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Google are not investing in Picasa. It's got some nice goodies. But it's aimed at the mass market. They will tweak it, but they have no incentive to keep adding to it. They might even stop supporting it like some of their other apps recently. In fact they have already dropped the Linux version.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. OldRadioGuy

OldRadioGuy Enthusiast Amateur

Nov 11, 2012
    Austin, Texas USA
    Thoughts on AfterShot Pro

ASP has many users who have had few or no problems with it, but you'll find a vociferous group of disgruntled customers at the users group

I have experienced some crashes, but I like AfterShot Pro for many reasons -- primarily the speed. However, I don't use ASP because it limits external editors to one. As an enthusiast photographer, I often need to call on several plugins/editors for a particular image project.

AfterShot Pro was first released in January of 2012. Because of errors by the suits at Corel, initial strategies were scraped, and the product fell behind its rivals with no new versions.

AfterShot is now under the guidance of a different product group, the same team responsible for the recently released and much improved version 16 of PaintShop Pro. To me, that's a good sign for the future of ASP.

Research about requested features has been completed and public beta testing is promised before the release of version 2. There's been no indication of dates.

If you're planning to spend a little time with it, I recommend two webinars published last year:

And an undocumented tip:

AfterShot Pro contains a stripped down version of the commercial plugin Perfectly Clear. It's listed under the Standard tab with a box to turn it on or off but no other control. It can quickly improve a lot of photos, but often the adjustment is too much. To reduce the intensity of Perfectly Clear, open the ASP Layers Manager and create an adjustment layer. With the new layer selected, turn on Perfectly Clear, then reduce the Opacity slider for the adjustment layer.

Forever the optimist, I'm looking forward to version 2 in hopes the programmers will have solved most of its problems.

5. BSH

BSH Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2012
    I started Picasa once. The stupid thing insisted it had to scan my entire hard drive for every single image. That's not an app, that's malware. No thanks, Google. I'll take anything else. If ASP doesn't work for me, I'll get Aperture.

sent from Mu 4/3 mobile app
  6. Ian.

Ian. Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2013
    Thanks Bob for the insider info and tips.

As a photo manager ASP is probably better than the irritating "Picasa knows best" approach. But seems not quite as comprehensive as Digikam which I use. Which likes to work with other editors, raw, panorama and HDR tools and directly uploads to Flickr, Picasa and many others. Making the full process complete.
    As a Raw developer ASP is nice. Not perfect, but quite fast. Similar to Raw Therapee which I use. And could replace it. The native Digikam one is slow. So it's good that Digikam lets you plug in any tool. I have 4 raw developers plugged in ready to use. ASP. Raw Therapee, Photivo and Darktable.
  7. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I did too. But recently installed it on a laptop as a temporary processor. And digging through options, I found the option to only scan the folders YOU select. I have a folder on the desktop, labeled "dump", Where I dump memory cards for first culling. Wow! Freedom! I still don't like it. Spoiled with Ps2.
  8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    That's nonsense. Picasa leaves a lot to be desired as a real editor, but for the lazy photographer who doesn't do much pp, it can be nice to have. Malware it isn't, just tell it what to scan and what not to, but the idea that scanning for the presence of image files to be used on a local application (a photo cataloging application, no less) is somehow threatening is just silly and paranoid.
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I use Picasa to manage my photos - I only get it to scan my photo archive directory, not even my temporary working directories for new imports. I don't tend to use it for editing - I occasionally use it to wuickly preview an effect or crop, but for any serious edits I launch Photoshop (ancient CS2) from it.